Reload this Page >

Jet Lag remedies

Jet Lag remedies

Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:36 am
Just Joined

sa11yanne is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Jet Lag remedies

Any suggestions for Jet Lag remedies.

I am taking a direct flight and need to be on top form for the week I am in Australia....

Thanks

Sally-Anne

Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:39 am
WBB

sorry to bring bad news but it took me a week to get over my jet lag, first morning in brisbane i was up at 3 oclock and it felt like i had been asleep for weeks.

good luck though.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by welshboybilly
sorry to bring bad news but it took me a week to get over my jet lag, first morning in brisbane i was up at 3 oclock and it felt like i had been asleep for weeks.

good luck though.

Thanks for that, honesty is the best policy!

I think I will be so tanked up with Vitamins I will rattle!

S-A
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Put your watch on Oz time as soon as you board the plane, and start thinking Oz time - so you try and sleep when its night over there. Whatever time you land, don't go straight to bed, Stay up till its bedtime Aussie time (however hard it is). Might help you adjust quicker.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 9:19 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

On the medical front, Melatonin is supposed to ease jet lag, but you can only get in on prescription in the UK...

Friends of mine swear by a supplement called 5HTP which boosts serotonin production which helps, and contains valerian which can help you sleep. I take 5HTP anyway, because it helps me get through the bleak British winters...but it is also recommended as a jet lag remedy if you start taking it a week or so before travel.

You can get it from health food shops like Holland & Barrett..costs a bit (£15 for 2 months supply) but it seems to work... more info on the following link

http://www.whatreallyworks.co.uk/sta...article_ID=814

Will be testing its jet-lag-easing properties at the end of the month!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jet Lag remedies

Originally posted by sa11yanne

I am taking a direct flight and need to be on top form for the week I am in Australia....

Thanks

Sally-Anne

I've seen a number of articles on acupressure as a way of adjusting your body clock. Apparently its something the airline industry uses, but I've no first hand experience.

You can pick up a kit fairly cheaply - I've seen them for about £5. Try www.presentsformen.com.

Best wishes

Kev
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks again, look at you with all the web sites to recommend! So helpful!

You should be a search engine!

anyway, the site i just clicked on was a server page (???) do a search.

Cheers
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:21 am
Just Joined

I meant i will do a search!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:28 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sa11yanne

Thanks

Sally-Anne

What always works for me is to ensure my flight arrives at my destination early evening. I find a couple of beers and something to eat before bed puts me out like a light.

Any excuse for a beer

Cheers.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:30 am
Just Joined

conveniently my flight arrives at 7pm, so i think i will be grabbing a few stubbies, along with a subway sandwich and then sleep until my first interview, thanks for this.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:35 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing that works for me is to remove my watch (if possible) a couple of days before hand so that I have no idea what the time is (this only works if you have someone to make sure you get to the airport on time!!!). The idea is that if you have no idea what the time is, your body gets so confused that it will simply believe whatever time you tell it it is.

So, if you hop off the plane in Oz at 6am, you tell your body it's 6am and it will believe you. Whatever you do, don't try and work out what time it is back home!

This is probably a personal thing...it certainly works for me. But then maybe I just have an easily-convinced mind/body
Old Oct 7th 2003, 10:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No, works for me too Bundy - whatever time I tell my body it is, it can adjust at once - just lucky I guess. Never suffered from jet-lag as I always seem able to adjust on the first day.
I find flights that leave the UK late at night and arrive early morning in Oz suit me best - sleep on the last leg and arrive ready for a whole day.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:04 am
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Pollyana
No, works for me too Bundy - whatever time I tell my body it is, it can adjust at once - just lucky I guess. Never suffered from jet-lag as I always seem able to adjust on the first day.
I find flights that leave the UK late at night and arrive early morning in Oz suit me best - sleep on the last leg and arrive ready for a whole day.
I'm the same. I can sleep anywhere though, so it's easy for me and I never get jet-lag. The only problem is that my aussie other half is not used to flying - when we flew over here to the UK it was the first time he had been to an airport, let alone on a plane and he spent all 22 hours staring out the window and asking where we were! If you have one of these with you, I suggest a thumping good pair of ear plugs and a fixed smile (and find a friendly steward/ess who will answer their questions). I suspect this would work with small children too!