Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jet Lag - How Long Was Yours?

Wikiposts

Jet Lag - How Long Was Yours?

Old Jul 16th 2006, 6:50 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jet Lag - How Long Was Yours?

We always land at 6.35AM into Brisbane. Always takes about a week to settle in. Especially the first few days , falling a sleep in the afternoon, waking up at 3/4am.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:22 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
How long did you / are you likely to suffer from jet lag once you get to Oz?
How long will it take to get back into a normal routine ie up early in the morning etc.
Did not suffer any - reason

We broke the trip down to at least 2 nights in each time change

1 week in Geneva/France
1 week in Naples/Amalfi coast Italy
2 nights in Dubai
10 nights Singapore/KL/Singapore (this is where we normally get it but the Dubai part helped alot).
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:46 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

We left LHR 10:00 p.m. and flew to Sydney via Bangkok, arriving at 7:30 a.m. local time. Dh and dd (8) slept on second leg, I didn't. We used Helios' homoeopathic remedy for travellers, taking one pillule at each change of time zone. No jet lag at all.

Homoeopathic arnica is also good for combatting jet lag.

Sue
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
How long did you / are you likely to suffer from jet lag once you get to Oz?
How long will it take to get back into a normal routine ie up early in the morning etc.
You're supposed to allow one day per HOUR of time difference, to recover. It's a bit quicker if you land here at night and then go straight to bed. If you land in the morning it is nay impossible to stay up all day till evening, and so takes longer to adjust.

S
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've only actually had jetlag once, that was the time I landed here in the morning, gave in and went to bed. Every other time I have forced myself to stay awake and get used to local times on the first day, and I've been fine.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:22 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Take some Melatonin before you go to sleep for the first 2 nights, works a treat. You can buy it on Singapore Airlines.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

The Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really niceThe Muppets is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Try and put yourself onto the time in Australia as soon as you leave the UK> Work out what time you will land and plan back from that. If you are landing in the early morning, make sure you sleep as much as possible on the second leg of the flight, ie just before you arrive. Then force yourself to stay awake all day, go to bed maybe a little earlier than usual, but not much. That way your body is forced to get into sync with the new time zone as soon as possible.

I agree with Pollyanna the earlier you get into your new time the better it is. Only really affected us the first day we got here , good luck I am sure it will be fine
Old Jul 17th 2006, 12:01 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
You're supposed to allow one day per HOUR of time difference, to recover. It's a bit quicker if you land here at night and then go straight to bed. If you land in the morning it is nay impossible to stay up all day till evening, and so takes longer to adjust.

S
Blimey - 1 day per hour!!!!

As others have said, you need to get your body clock into sync as soon as you can - if you are weak (like pollyanna ) and give in to your natural will to go to sleep it may well take a while to get over it (still not convinced it could ever take 11 days though...).

Whenever we've gone to Oz or SE Asia we normally arrive first thing in the morning. What we do is 'allow' yourselves a couple of hours sleep when you arrive, but set the alarm, put it the other side of the room and force yourself up. Get out of your hotel/house and go do something. Go for a walk, go to the zoo - whatever. Stay up till 9/10pm and hit the hay.

Next morning no problems whatsoever - completely back into the swing of things.

It feels like the most unnatural thing in the world to stay awake when you are desperate for your bed, but in our experience you'll seriously regret it if you don't nip it in the bud and get your body clock right on the first day.

Graham
Old Jul 17th 2006, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

We left Heathrow at night around 10pm, thought that would be great so that the kids would sleep, but from our experience, I wouldn't do that again as the kids were too excited to sleep , which meant we couldn't sleep either and we were beside ourselves!

We arrived in Sydney at around 6.30am and tried to stay awake, but felt physically sick with exhaustion and only lasted until 1pm and went to bed, what a mistake, as we knew it would be! we slept through until around 8pm, had something to eat and then slept again and woke up at 2am. I know it's our own fault, but we couldn't last and our jet lag lasted a week! Needless to say, we will be getting a morning flight when we do the big move at the end of October .

Different things work for different people, I'm sure a lot of people work well with night flights, especially childfree people who have been given a valium ! Which is what I did years ago when I went to Thailand and I slept through the lot which was perfect!

All the best.
Old Jul 17th 2006, 1:59 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner

As others have said, you need to get your body clock into sync as soon as you can - if you are weak (like pollyanna ) and give in to your natural will to go to sleep it may well take a while to get over it (still not convinced it could ever take 11 days though...).
Cheek! Like I said, I only did it once!! Regretted it for about 3 days afterwards!
When I fly north I really have quite a spectacular reaction - usually land about 5am, manage to stay awake till about 10pm and then I just fall over! Eyes shut, totally oblivious to the world, able to do nothing but crawl into bed! My sisters kids find it hilarious the way my brain just seems to close down. Next morning I'm fine!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice

Hi Pollyanna

That wasn't directed at you as I hadn't read your post, that was just a personal view based on experience, it is good though and I would do it again, but unfortunately I don't think the other passengers would be too chuffed if we did it now and let the kids run riot whilst we got some in!!!! Shame, nevermind the youngest is 4, so there is time in the distant future when we can do it again!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 4:04 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just to second what others have said: I find if I can get my body straight into sync with local time, then I don't suffer jet lag.

When we flew to Perth we got an 11am flight to Singapore, which arrived around 7am local time (which according to my body clock was 11pm, so not too tired at that point - never managed to sleep on a plane).

Got connecting flight to Perth at 9.30am which landed in Perth at 2.30pm local time. Forced myself to stay up till about 8.30pm, slept for about 12 hours and woke up feeling bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. No jet lag.

Gina
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:40 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Poppy
Hi Pollyanna

That wasn't directed at you as I hadn't read your post, that was just a personal view based on experience, it is good though and I would do it again, but unfortunately I don't think the other passengers would be too chuffed if we did it now and let the kids run riot whilst we got some in!!!! Shame, nevermind the youngest is 4, so there is time in the distant future when we can do it again!!
Hey, don't worry, I took it in the spirit you said it!!
I'm actually reading these posts about flying with kids from a new perspective now with my sister planning to bring hubby and kids for a holiday next year (fingers crossed) - he flies a lot in Eurpoe, but the rest of them are new to itand I've got to put a flight guide together for them
Worst one is going to be my nephew, who will be 14 - he will want to sit glued to the games the whole way, eyes on stalks as he fights sleep :scared:
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

I think a morning flight would be good for them because maybe the novelty of the games will have worn off by night time and your nephew just might for a while! If they then arrive in Oz the evening, it won't be long before it's time for bed anyway and you and your sis can get some in which will help her sleep too!

Sorted!

I know, it's not that easy, if only it was!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy
I think a morning flight would be good for them because maybe the novelty of the games will have worn off by night time and your nephew just might for a while! If they then arrive in Oz the evening, it won't be long before it's time for bed anyway and you and your sis can get some in which will help her sleep too!

Sorted!

I know, it's not that easy, if only it was!

im hoping your theory works.
Me and hubby are flying to Melbourne in Oct, we set off at 8am from Geordie land and arrive in melbourne 8pm the next evening.
Im not a seasoned travellor and an anxious passenger. i just hope i wont get jet lag.
Mandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.