Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jet Lag - How Long Was Yours?

Jet Lag - How Long Was Yours?

Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Jet Lag - How Long Was Yours?

How long did you / are you likely to suffer from jet lag once you get to Oz?
How long will it take to get back into a normal routine ie up early in the morning etc.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jet Lag - How Long Was Yours?

We got a flight that landed around midnight and found that we were only a couple of hours adrift really, as we went straight to bed and got up around 10ish, but I think it would be more difficult if you arrived here and had to make yourself stay up all day.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Izzy
We got a flight that landed around midnight and found that we were only a couple of hours adrift really, as we went straight to bed and got up around 10ish, but I think it would be more difficult if you arrived here and had to make yourself stay up all day.
That's what I'm dreading as it took us about 2 weeks to get back to normal after our holiday in Florida last year, it wasn't the first time we went there and we didn't seem to suffer any jet lag on our previous visits.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:00 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We usually leave heathrow at 11am and then arrive Singapore at 6.40 or 7.40 only to depart again just after 9am for Perth. We arrive Perth at about 2.30pm and we are ready for bed at normal time....however, am up again at 2am and then cannot sleep.

Jet lag hits me for days afterwards - where I just feel like afternoon naps etc.

This time, we are staying in Singapore for 4 nights and then depart at 19.40 their time and arrive Perth 00.40am.

Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:04 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

We had a midday flight from Heathrow, landed in Sydney at about 8pm. I only catnapped on the flight, and went to bed at 11pm, woke up 8ish in the morning and was straight into a normal routine.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Varies - sometimes none, right as rain next day, sometimes a full week.

Usually I need to take a sleeping pill for 2 or 3 nights, when I wake up at 4am.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try and put yourself onto the time in Australia as soon as you leave the UK> Work out what time you will land and plan back from that. If you are landing in the early morning, make sure you sleep as much as possible on the second leg of the flight, ie just before you arrive. Then force yourself to stay awake all day, go to bed maybe a little earlier than usual, but not much. That way your body is forced to get into sync with the new time zone as soon as possible.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

nfernand is an unknown quantity at this point

If you land in Aus in AM do not sleep until night time, then next day you will be like all other Aussi's. I arrived here on Friday AM, stuggle to keep awake until 9 PM. Sat woke up at 11 am..... Commence work on Monday 9 am.

If you arrive at night time sleep ASAP.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We came on the flight that landed in Brisbane at 7.15pm. This was ideal as we went to bed at the normal time. We just felt tired for a couple of days really, no real jet lag.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 10:44 pm
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

We arrived here last Saturday morning and I'm still suffering.

By 7:30pm I'm falling asleep but I'm wide awake again at 3am and have to force myself back to sleep until 5:30ish.

It should be easier now that we have furniture; when all you have is a bed you tend to nod off as soon as you sit down on it.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 11:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the lucky ones - never suffered from it. Don't sleep well on planes - short dozes mainly but thankfully have always got off the plane as normal as I ever can be
Old Jul 17th 2006, 12:27 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

We left Uk at around 12.00pm and only had 2 hrs in Singapore. We landed in Melbourne at 7.15pm and then once we got to our appt we stayed up until about 11.30pm and then went to bed. We all slept until 1.00pm the following day and then that was it! Hubby and I never slept on the plane all the way here and the girls slept on the second leg for a couple of hours. If you have kids would advise to get to Oz in the evening and then it seems to work much better with the sleeping pattern.

Lorraine
Old Jul 17th 2006, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived in Perth at 2.30 pm , we hardly slept at all on the plane ! then made ourselves stay up until 10.00 felt completely knackered though, then we went to bed and slept for 12 hours straight ! the next day it was fine no jet lag at all !

Nicky
Old Jul 17th 2006, 4:56 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Arrived in Perth at 2.30 pm , we hardly slept at all on the plane ! then made ourselves stay up until 10.00 felt completely knackered though, then we went to bed and slept for 12 hours straight ! the next day it was fine no jet lag at all !

Nicky
We landed at 730 pm stayed up until about 11 and slept till about 6. We also took Berrocca (vit C) it was recommended to us....seemed to work as none of us sufferred jet lag!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!
Old Jul 17th 2006, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really get it.

I feel a bit tired and irritable due to the long flight and that's it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.