Jessica Watson

Old May 15th 2010, 9:18 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Jessica Watson

Originally Posted by boots
Put K Dudd on Jessicas boat for a solo around the World 20 times attempt!!
And launch tonight!
I'll 2nd that

Old May 15th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I'll 2nd that
I thought you were pro-Aussie regardless. K-Rudd had little or nothing to do with this.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I thought you were pro-Aussie regardless. K-Rudd had little or nothing to do with this.
K Rudd is the only person I heard that called her a HERO. And that is what I am referring to. Therefore it is 100% referring to K Rudd.

Pro-Aussie regardless ? Nope, You have read that wrong.

I am pro common sense. Nowhere is perfect, and I have NEVER said that Australia is.

What I have said is that I have adapted to Australia, I eat Australian food, and accept that I cant eat in M&S. I chose to move, therefore I do NOT complain.
I have also said that Australia is, on balance, better than where I lived in the UK before.

I think that what you have read into what I say, is that because I look on things positively all the time, instead of being negative, I must like everything.

I have done my years of being negative, and it turned me into a grumpy person, like a few others I now know. But I eventually chose to accept what life has, and more importantly, to look at things with open eyes, not a shuttered blinkered view, and find better things or ways.

Hence we get some people who complain about something Australia, but I just find an alternative, and end up smiling more

We make our lives, it isn't the country that we live in that does it.

Old May 15th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

K Rudd is the only person I heard that called her a HERO. And that is what I am referring to. Therefore it is 100% referring to K Rudd.

I am pro common sense. Nowhere is perfect, and I have NEVER said that Australia is.

What I have said is that I have adapted to Australia, I eat Australian food, and accept that I cant eat in M&S. I chose to move, therefore I do NOT complain.
I have also said that Australia is, on balance, better than where I lived in the UK before.

I think that what you have read into what I say, is that because I look on things positively all the time, instead of being negative, I must like everything.

I have done my years of being negative, and it turned me into a grumpy person, like a few others I now know. But I eventually chose to accept what life has, and more importantly, to look at things with open eyes, not a shuttered blinkered view, and find better things or ways.

Hence we get some people who complain about something Australia, but I just find an alternative, and end up smiling more

Blah blah blah, you should be saying: What a great Aussie girl-**** the politics!
Old May 15th 2010, 10:07 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Put K Dudd on Jessicas boat for a solo around the World 20 times attempt!!
And launch tonight!
I suspect it would result in a circular course ... constant u-turns will do that ...
Old May 15th 2010, 10:16 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Have to disagree here. As the Captain of the vessel she should have known full well the distances required, especially as she would have (should have) plotted the navigation course herself.
Err no actually her job is to sail the course that the route planner provided. Planning the route is his task. It's her job to navigate her boat along that route solo. Kind of like a co-driver in a rally car. Solo doesn't mean there isn't a multitude of support people working in the background planning, preparing & checking prior to departure.
Her publicist was aware that the planned route fell short of qualifying for a circumnavigation. We're not talking a few kilometers either we're talking 2,335 nautical miles [4325 kilometers] A monumental fubar that's sure to be swept under the carpet.
The official record overseers are the WSSCR, they have exacting rules as a younger Aussie lad found out when he failed in his attempt in 2005. He was forced to accept a single stainless bolt to fix his fore-stay.
The failure to complete the required distance only slightly takes the shine off what is a most remarkable achievement for a 16 year old. Big up for the girl I think she's a credit to her parents, Qld & Australia I hope she's remembered in the same light as Clair Francis, Ellen MacArthur Tracy Edwards, Shirley Robertson & other world class yachtswomen
Old May 15th 2010, 10:30 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Mike Perham's solo non-stop circumnavigation around the world journey was planned to take 140 days and to cover 40,000 km.
It actually took 284 days, with stops in Portugal, Gran Canaria, Cape Town, Tasmania and Auckland, and covered 24,000 miles (38,700-km). Reuters

Jessica Watson took 209 days, and completed the trip with no stops. Her travelled distance is not yet confirmed, but some say 19,000 nautical miles, others say 23,000. TracPlus data is expected to confirm Jessica's exact distance later.
Distance is not what is in contention here it's the actual route she sailed. Difficult to explain in plain English but basically there is a set criteria that must be met. Jessica's log may show she traveled 23,000 Nm a fair proportion of that may well have been tacking back & forth into the wind. The route she lodged prior to setting off fell short of that required for a record.
Here's an example:
"The Sydney to Hobart race is a 629 nautical mile race. The mileage is published according to the straight line line distances, and does not include the tacks or gybes that yacht might make on the way. Some yachts might do 800 miles to get there, if the race is hard on the wind, but it's still a 629 nautical mile race."
Old May 15th 2010, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Did I vaguely hear that she was too young to get the record anyway so before that set sail they decided not to bother with the official route?

"A monumental fubar that's sure to be swept under the carpet. " - been hearing about that for days?

Last edited by fish.01; May 15th 2010 at 11:33 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:36 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Jessica Watson

If there's one person who's not buying the hype, it's Watson herself:

Mr Rudd told Watson she has done the nation proud.

"Jess, welcome back to dry land, welcome back home to Australia," he said. "You may feel a little wobbly on your feet just now but in the eyes of all Australians you now stand tall as our newest Australian hero. At 16 years old, you are a hero for all young Australians, you are also a hero for all young Australian women, you do our nation proud. This is a great day for our country."

Mr Rudd wished Watson a happy birthday and welcomed her home with a special gift - one free driving lesson, which he thought she would "pass with flying colours".

But the teen adventurer humbly disagreed with Mr Rudd, saying she is no hero.

"I don't consider myself a hero, I'm an ordinary girl," she said. "You don't have to be someone special to achieve something amazing, you've just got to have a dream, believe in it and work hard. I'd like to think I've proved that anything really is possible if you set your mind to it. People don't realise what young people, and what young girls are capable of, and it's amazing when you take away those expectations what you can achieve."
Fair play to her, she sailed around the world single-handed (OK, not officially but more or less geographically) and now she's home alive, which is probably the only thing that matters to her parents.

All this "hero" bollocks is just hot air; she's not a hero and she knows it. Yes, the media has entered its usual feeding frenzy and they'll milk it for every advertising dollar they can get (as will Watson's PR team, which is what they're paid for). But this doesn't detract from her brave and extraordinary achievement, so give credit where it's due.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 15th 2010 at 11:27 am.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

You piss in the wind. Wherever the wind may blow.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cresta57
Err no actually her job is to sail the course that the route planner provided. Planning the route is his task. It's her job to navigate her boat along that route solo. Kind of like a co-driver in a rally car. Solo doesn't mean there isn't a multitude of support people working in the background planning, preparing & checking prior to departure.
Her publicist was aware that the planned route fell short of qualifying for a circumnavigation. We're not talking a few kilometers either we're talking 2,335 nautical miles [4325 kilometers] A monumental fubar that's sure to be swept under the carpet.
The official record overseers are the WSSCR, they have exacting rules as a younger Aussie lad found out when he failed in his attempt in 2005. He was forced to accept a single stainless bolt to fix his fore-stay.
The failure to complete the required distance only slightly takes the shine off what is a most remarkable achievement for a 16 year old. Big up for the girl I think she's a credit to her parents, Qld & Australia I hope she's remembered in the same light as Clair Francis, Ellen MacArthur Tracy Edwards, Shirley Robertson & other world class yachtswomen
Would also like to congatulate 7 News on their outstanding live coverage. Waited for 2 hrs while she battled to get into Sydney then they showed adverts while she crossed the finish line and said didn't see her coming because there were too mant boats. Only in Australia.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:01 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Playing sport,sailing,etc does not make you a hero.
You have to earn peoples respect,you can't buy it.
I have only been sailing a few times with friends. Knowing now what an afternoons sailing involves in just minor swells within the Bay, I am in awe of what this gutsy kid took on and accomplished with a 7 month long, solo, round the world trip.

She has certainly earned my respect and I think she is role model for her entire generation.

Good on you Jessica
Old May 15th 2010, 11:22 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
This thread is turning into whining bitch fest , from a lot of jealous pommy wankers whos kids ,would not be capable of acheiving this feat, enough said..............mm
Well said

I wonder how many on this site would keep the same opinions if their own child decided to go for and achieve their dream?

We are all entitled to our dreams, if we are lucky enough to achieve them out then fair play. I think it is a huge achievement doing what she did, or do people want her to do the 'usual teen thing's that their own kids are doing?

She hasnt hurt anyone, she hasnt broken any laws - she just did what she set out to do with her parents support and compared to alot of kids her age, she has shown remarkable courage and determination.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:28 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Jessica Watson

Originally Posted by suesk
Would also like to congatulate 7 News on their outstanding live coverage. Waited for 2 hrs while she battled to get into Sydney then they showed adverts while she crossed the finish line and said didn't see her coming because there were too mant boats. Only in Australia.
Sounds like typical Channel 5 quality to me. ITV would have at least six different people commentating pointlessly (but none with any maratime experience) and Channel 4 would have ignored the entire event because Jessica Watson doesn't have big tits.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fish.01
Did I vaguely hear that she was too young to get the record anyway so before that set sail they decided not too bother with the official route?

"A monumental fubar that's sure to be swept under the carpet. " - been hearing about that for days?
Yep.
[everything else] is a mute point as the main criteria that cannot be challenged, is that “the World Sailing Speed Record Council (WSSRC) does not recognise records by sailors under eighteen”

Jessica Watson’s reply being: “Yes, it’s a shame that my voyage won’t be recognised by a few organisations because I’m under 18, but it really doesn’t worry me”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.