Jessica Watson

Old May 15th 2010, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jessica Watson

Thought it was only me in wondering why the OTT media on a ,lets face it,an insignificant news story.
Rich Daddies little girl goes yachting.
So where is it newsworthy?
Toorak Girl has gained her drivers licence!!!!Exclusive to Ch 7 Tonight!!!
Double Day 17 year old has passed her school exams-PM Rudd to declare a day of WORSHIPPING!!!!!!
South Yarra Girl gets a new car from rich parents!!!!
Tonight on 60 Minutes the unbelievible story on how Tammara,18,has a new Mercedes from Daddy!!!!!!
Has Australian Media stooped so low-even more so?

Who gives a Fug?
Old May 15th 2010, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boots
Thought it was only me in wondering why the OTT media on a ,lets face it,an insignificant news story.
Double Day 17 year old has passed her school exams-PM Rudd to declare a day of WORSHIPPING!!!!!!
Tonight on 60 Minutes the unbelievible story on how Tammara,18,has a new Mercedes from Daddy!!!!!!

Who gives a Fug?
Clearly the battlers who once again, confuse money with privilege. I used do loads of sailing and I paid for some of it by crewing, other by invitation. Stop acting the peasant.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Re-read my post,it isn't aimed at the sailing fraternity.
And again,justification for all TV channels to be glorifying a daddys girl?Read my post and reply.
Peasant jealousy,You really should grow up.
I made my life as it is,no handouts,no rich relatives-and I never had to broadcast it.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:09 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'll ask again: where was this "Jessica Watson Day" announced, and by whom?
I've just Googled "Jessica Watson Day", and they haven't any record of it either, other than by a handful of people saying it themselves on various blogs and forums

I think she did a great job for herself, in the end, although I was a bit negative about it at the beginning.

Old May 15th 2010, 4:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Is she a poor little rich kid ?
Similar to Mike Perham ?
"Young sailor sets global record"

Old May 15th 2010, 4:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mohogony
If she wasn't a rich kid she will be now with all the money she will make selling her stroy l wouldn't be suprised if she makes atleast $1m. l guess we will be hearing nothing else expcept her in the media for the next week. What l'm worried about is some 14 or 15 year old girl will now try to beat her record as the youngest person to sail round the world and end up getting killed.
The World Sailing Speed Record Council and other record-keeping organizations stopped recognizing "youngest" pursuits recently because they've become so controversial.

Thus, the official record seemingly will forever belong to an 18 year old.

This article is interesting, about "A girl of 13 was put under state care to stop her setting off on an attempt to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...orld-solo.html

Old May 15th 2010, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Re-read my post,it isn't aimed at the sailing fraternity.
And again,justification for all TV channels to be glorifying a daddys girl?Read my post and reply.
Peasant jealousy,You really should grow up.
I made my life as it is,no handouts,no rich relatives-and I never had to broadcast it.
I never took it as being aimed at the sailing fraternity.

You were just banging on about Daddy's girls and 'rich' people.

Don't battlers and self-made people have Daddy's girls?

Don't battlers and self-made people sail? Do well?

The press are glorifying a sailing stunt, which has newsworthy attributes, that's all. And that might be questionable.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:20 am
ABCDiamond

What is insignificant to one person, may be well be quite an achievement to others.

But then, some people prefer only to read bad news stories... and hate it when good news is shown.

Old May 15th 2010, 4:21 am
ABCDiamond

Until today

Old May 15th 2010, 4:27 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Similar to Mike Perham ?
"Young sailor sets global record"
Mike Perham : 30000 miles
Jessica Watson: 19000 miles

More like 2/3rds of Mike Perham.

Kind of typical of 'world class' Australia.
Old May 15th 2010, 4:43 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
The press are glorifying a sailing stunt, which has newsworthy attributes, that's all. And that might be questionable.
This is bigger coverage than the Olympic games.

I remember when the UK guy completed the youngest round the world sailing record. Five minute segment on the news, if that.

It's big news in Australia is a duck crosses the road...
Old May 15th 2010, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I would let my daughter do the same. It's part of the spirit that makes us. Anyone can 'totally' play on a PS3 all day and update Facebook. Maybe that's why she limited her northern point of sail.
How old is your daughter right now? I might ask you again when she is 16.

The question is though, where is it going to end? We can't get infinitely younger and before long the lack of life experience is going to get someone killed.

A 16 year old guy I wouldn't have too many issues with sailing around the world. A 16 year old girl is a bit of a different kettle of fish. Anything could happen, and most likely in certain waters would be an abduction, whether that be for human trafficing/slave trade, kidnapping for ransom or whatever. Which probably is the reason why her northern course was limited. That said though, if she didn't complete the required distance, how can she claim the record?

Irrespective, what an adventure for her. She definitely has bragging rights with her friends.
Old May 15th 2010, 5:01 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rudi
The things I read said she was a kid who was home schooled and basically the parents mortgaged their home to fund all this initially.
I'm not sure how this was legal under NSW law - under 17s have to be in education, don't they?
Old May 15th 2010, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I'm not sure how this was legal under NSW law - under 17s have to be in education, don't they?
She's from QLD and from what I remember, school leaving age is 15.
Old May 15th 2010, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who gives a Fug?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.