Jervis Bay, NSW

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:03 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jervis Bay, NSW

Off there for a long weekend this Friday... know nothing about it, booked into a B&B for a well needed break by the Missus... Think we're actually staying in Huskisson... Anyone know it...? Ideas of places to see, restaurants for Friday and Saturday night, etc all gratefully received... If it's nice weather SWMBO will take some piccies and I'll post them here...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 12:36 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jervis Bay, NSW

It's absolutely beautiful there, the bay is enormous, big enough to get humpbacks in occasionally. Seal colonies, penguins and dolphins in the bay too. highly recommend a boat trip

They reckon if Captain Cook had looked in there instead of just documenting it as low lying wet lands, then Sydney harbour would've been there. Good job, would've really screwed it up
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:18 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Jervis Bay itself is actually in the ACT. (Pronounced 'JARvis', don't let anybody fool you!!)

Are you going to have a vehicle the whole time?? The best thing about the New South Wales South Coast is being able to just drive off somewhere and find a good beach.

Hyam's Beach is said to have the whitest sand in the world - take your sunglasses!!

I would avoid Green Patch. It used to be a wonderful spot of sand, but now is overrun with international day-trippers. And there's no polite way to say this, but when I went last year there were dozens of leering men there (not Australian) with their cameras pointed in the direction of any woman in swimmers. As a young woman, I have not felt that uncomfortable since I left India (where I lived for a few years and had to deal with all kinds of sexual harassment).

The main street in Huskisson has some great places to eat. We went to a great restaurant last Christmas Eve. I think it was 'La Spiaggia Wood Fire Pizzeria Restaurant'. I think!!
There is also the Husky Pub, which serves pretty standard British pub fare. There's plenty of outside seating, with views directly over the beach. The place gets very busy during holiday times though, so you have to get in early for a table.
There are plenty of cafes around because a lot of tourists pass through the town - but travel two hundred metres down the road and you won't see any of them.

Here are a couple of pictures from Christmas last year. The first is Hyam's Beach. The second is one of the beaches between Vincentia and Huskisson.
Attached Thumbnails Jervis Bay, NSW-hyams-beach.jpg   Jervis Bay, NSW-vincentia.jpg  

Last edited by SNH; Nov 3rd 2008 at 3:38 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by SNH
Jervis Bay itself is actually in the ACT. (Pronounced 'JARvis', don't let anybody fool you!!)

Are you going to have a vehicle the whole time?? The best thing about the New South Wales South Coast is being able to just drive off somewhere and find a good beach.

Hyam's Beach is said to have the whitest sand in the world - take your sunglasses!!

I would avoid Green Patch. It used to be a wonderful spot of sand, but now is overrun with international day-trippers. And there's no polite way to say this, but when I went last year there were dozens of leering men there (not Australian) with their cameras pointed in the direction of any woman in swimmers. As a young woman, I have not felt that uncomfortable since I left India (where I lived for a few years and had to deal with all kinds of sexual harassment).

The main street in Huskisson has some great places to eat. We went to a great restaurant last Christmas Eve. I think it was 'La Spiagia Wood Fire Pizzeria Restaurant'. I think!!
There is also the Husky Pub, which serves pretty standard British pub fare. There's plenty of outside seating, with views directly over the beach. The place gets very busy during holiday times though, so you have to get in early for a table.
There are plenty of cafes around because a lot of tourists pass through the town - but travel two hundred metres down the road and you won't see any of them.

Here are a couple of pictures from Christmas last year. The first is Hyam's Beach. The second is one of the beaches between Vincentia and Huskisson.
we havnt got down there yet..but i hear its supposed to be gorgeous...
have a nice time and give us an update on how it goes..
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

budababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura aboutbudababes has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Jervis Bay, NSW

Originally Posted by DrWho
Off there for a long weekend this Friday... know nothing about it, booked into a B&B for a well needed break by the Missus... Think we're actually staying in Huskisson... Anyone know it...? Ideas of places to see, restaurants for Friday and Saturday night, etc all gratefully received... If it's nice weather SWMBO will take some piccies and I'll post them here...
You have chosen a lovely area - if you have wheels travel around and spare some time at Kiama - and if you have time go in land to Kangaroo Valley and maybe on to Fitzroy Falls. All round that area is beautiful. We did a ride from Stanwell Park to Jervis Bay a few weeks ago and visited Huskisson and Hyams Beach - so much to see and enjoy in that area that we are planning another trip in the area hoping to go on further south next time. You will need to go off the main road to see some lovely beaches. Have fun!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:20 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH

The main street in Huskisson has some great places to eat. We went to a great restaurant last Christmas Eve. I think it was 'La Spiaggia Wood Fire Pizzeria Restaurant'. I think!!

Yeah, like he said.

Really lovely part of NSW - I have been many times. And I would recommend making the time to call in on Berry on the way back up.

S
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:59 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone

Looks like we'll be in for a great weekend...
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:49 pm
Timelord

Well, we got there about 4pm Friday afternoon after taking the advice from a friend to drive straight through the city and down the coast like her brother does who lives in Gerringong... Won't be doing that again I assure you...!

Dropped everything off in the B&B and hit the Husky pub. Didn't try any food there but it looked wholesome enough and after a couple of Extra Dry's we walked over the road to the Thai restaurant. Excellent choice because it was easily the best Thai meal I have had in memory... Thoroughly recommend it...

The next day we went to Hyams Beach just in time to catch a wedding party, and went for a walk along it some way... as someone earlier mentioned it's very beautiful there... Later on we went into a NP nearby and drove to some more remote areas/beaches... again very beautiful and not a soul around...

That evening we had booked into the Seagrass restaurant which is supposed to be an upmarket modern Australian place with a bit of a rep... don't bother... Ther service wasn't great, nor the food, and they couldn't wait to get us back out so they could get a second sitting in... and the Thai was half the price...!

Sunday was great... we went to Fitzroy Falls and then took a leisurely drive up through Bowral and the Southern Highlands... Wow...! I know where I want to live if I could...! Absolutely fantastic scenery and to me seemed just like country England... so that's where we're off to next time we get a break (probably Feb after the school hols)

Thanks guys for all your input...
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

fellows3078 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that - we leave for the southern highlands in two weeks as my OH has a job just outside Bowral so its reassuring to hear you talking so positively about the area. Not sure yet though if we want to live in bowral or down towards the coast in shellharbour. The company are putting us up in Moss Vale for 2 weeks and then we have to find somewhere so i am hoping somewhere will have a real impact on me.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Well, we got there about 4pm Friday afternoon after taking the advice from a friend to drive straight through the city and down the coast like her brother does who lives in Gerringong... Won't be doing that again I assure you...!

Dropped everything off in the B&B and hit the Husky pub. Didn't try any food there but it looked wholesome enough and after a couple of Extra Dry's we walked over the road to the Thai restaurant. Excellent choice because it was easily the best Thai meal I have had in memory... Thoroughly recommend it...

The next day we went to Hyams Beach just in time to catch a wedding party, and went for a walk along it some way... as someone earlier mentioned it's very beautiful there... Later on we went into a NP nearby and drove to some more remote areas/beaches... again very beautiful and not a soul around...

That evening we had booked into the Seagrass restaurant which is supposed to be an upmarket modern Australian place with a bit of a rep... don't bother... Ther service wasn't great, nor the food, and they couldn't wait to get us back out so they could get a second sitting in... and the Thai was half the price...!

Sunday was great... we went to Fitzroy Falls and then took a leisurely drive up through Bowral and the Southern Highlands... Wow...! I know where I want to live if I could...! Absolutely fantastic scenery and to me seemed just like country England... so that's where we're off to next time we get a break (probably Feb after the school hols)

Thanks guys for all your input...
Glad you liked my back yard mate.

And yes, the eateries in Huskisson suck for the most part. Couple of very good ones in Vincentia though - a mexican and a hot stone one - sorry I didn't see this thread sooner or I'd have said. Southern Highlands is great too - some superb pubs up there, particularly the ones in Burrawang and in Robo (my big sister lives there).