Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

jc's interview and sydney

Wikiposts

jc's interview and sydney

Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:42 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Default jc's interview and sydney

hello guys

firstly thanks for all the PM's wishing JC good luck in his interview. Sorry i havent replied to them all, but I have been so busy searching on internet all morning.........

according to JC the interview went brill and he was given the impression by the interviewer that he would be offered a position in Sydney. (fingers x'd) He will find out early December and the job is to start as soo as poss after xmas, as soon as meds and police checks can be submitted.

Anyways bad thing is the salary is exactly the same as what he is earning now in UK, (which initally we were pleased with) but after searching internet on Sydney, the cost of living seems to be alot higher in Sydney than it is here in NE England.

Now we would defo rather be there than here even if it means being skint, but as you know we have to afford to rent a place etc.....so I need to get a full breakdown of costs of bills in Sydney, so far i have found out the electricity and the council tax rates, but i am having great probs trying to find out anything else such as rent for a 2 bed house in outer suberbs and any other costs eg water rates etc???? I have been trawling the interent this morning and been on line to my auntie in Perth, but as she is in Perth she isnt much help with Sydney stuff....

Can anyone shed any light on what an average monthly living costs would be in Sydney or where to look for cheep rental accommodation that has good links into north sydney for work?

This will give us an idea wheather we should try to get a higher salary from the employer aswell if we know.

Any info would be a great help guys

thanks

laura
xxxxx
Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: jc's interview and sydney

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hello guys

firstly thanks for all the PM's wishing JC good luck in his interview. Sorry i havent replied to them all, but I have been so busy searching on internet all morning.........

according to JC the interview went brill and he was given the impression by the interviewer that he would be offered a position in Sydney. (fingers x'd) He will find out early December and the job is to start as soo as poss after xmas, as soon as meds and police checks can be submitted.

Anyways bad thing is the salary is exactly the same as what he is earning now in UK, (which initally we were pleased with) but after searching internet on Sydney, the cost of living seems to be alot higher in Sydney than it is here in NE England.

Now we would defo rather be there than here even if it means being skint, but as you know we have to afford to rent a place etc.....so I need to get a full breakdown of costs of bills in Sydney, so far i have found out the electricity and the council tax rates, but i am having great probs trying to find out anything else such as rent for a 2 bed house in outer suberbs and any other costs eg water rates etc???? I have been trawling the interent this morning and been on line to my auntie in Perth, but as she is in Perth she isnt much help with Sydney stuff....

Can anyone shed any light on what an average monthly living costs would be in Sydney or where to look for cheep rental accommodation that has good links into north sydney for work?

This will give us an idea wheather we should try to get a higher salary from the employer aswell if we know.

thanks

laura
xxxxx
Hi Laura,

Where abouts in sydney is ur bf's job? fabs
Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:59 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Laura

Fantastic news - you must be like a headless chicken at the moment not knowing what to do first!!! OMG OMG

To be quite honest everyone on here would bite off their right arm to be in your position so I'd go over there and wing it. I'm sure rentals in the burbs won't be as expensive as the city itself but I do know that Sydney is probably one of the most expensive areas to live in Oz.

You're bound to get a lot of info from peeps on here but you can't let an opportunity like this one go. Scarey but bloody fantastic!!!!

(sorry I can't help with your cost of living in Sydney query).

Give JC a hug for me

D D
Old Nov 6th 2004, 1:59 am

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

hello

its Miller Street North Sydney, where ever that is??

He wrote it down and thats all he wrote, he has gone surfing at the mo, so hope thats enough info......

I have never been to Sydney, we originally wanted to go to Perth, didnt expect to get an offer in Sydney, so we totally know NOTHING about the place but are willing to give it a go..........

I nearly died when i saw the prices of houses there Do you know anywhere cheep there?

laura
xxx
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi Laura

Fantastic news - you must be like a headless chicken at the moment not knowing what to do first!!! OMG OMG

To be quite honest everyone on here would bite off their right arm to be in your position so I'd go over there and wing it. I'm sure rentals in the burbs won't be as expensive as the city itself but I do know that Sydney is probably one of the most expensive areas to live in Oz.

You're bound to get a lot of info from peeps on here but you can't let an opportunity like this one go. Scarey but bloody fantastic!!!!

(sorry I can't help with your cost of living in Sydney query).

Give JC a hug for me

D D

Aw thanks Doll

Yes we are made up, just not much time to sort things out, especailly if they are not gonna tell us for defo till begining of December. Dont know what to do about the house/uni

I'll never sell it in time!!!! :scared:

Its well scarey for us, its cool and exciting, but its funny when you have a plan all worked out and then it all ends up different....but i dont want to end up saying "shudda, woulda, cuouldda", so just gonna take a chance, as we figured lifes too short and its too bloody cold and dark here.......

laura
xx
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:08 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

hello guys

thanks

laura
xxxxx

Laura,you could try pm ing Soapy(Heather) they are in Sydney & am sure Heather can help you out with costs & other stuff?

Donna.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by madsad
Laura,you could try pm ing Soapy(Heather) they are in Sydney & am sure Heather can help you out with costs & other stuff?

Donna.

hi Donna

How you doing?
thanks for that, is she just under soapy? Dont think i have come accross her before

I'll send her a PM though, hope she wont mind. I need to find out all I can, as all I see on internet is that its the 20th most expensive city to live in the world, I was like OMG,OMG !!!

LAURA
XXX
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:24 am
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

Aw thanks Doll

Yes we are made up, just not much time to sort things out, especailly if they are not gonna tell us for defo till begining of December. Dont know what to do about the house/uni

I'll never sell it in time!!!! :scared:

Its well scarey for us, its cool and exciting, but its funny when you have a plan all worked out and then it all ends up different....but i dont want to end up saying "shudda, woulda, cuouldda", so just gonna take a chance, as we figured lifes too short and its too bloody cold and dark here.......

laura
xx
Hi Laura,
really pleased for JC and know exactly how you are feeling at present! Jamie's references have been contacted and it also sounds promising. Like you say things are suddenly moving very fast and I'm not at all prepared! Still need to finish decorating and get the house on the market and then sell it. If Jamie does get this job they want him in Perth sometime in Jan. OMG it's an impossible task!
Good luck
Jo
P.S went to Sydney in March and fell in love with the place
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by J+J
Hi Laura,
really pleased for JC and know exactly how you are feeling at present! Jamie's references have been contacted and it also sounds promising. Like you say things are suddenly moving very fast and I'm not at all prepared! Still need to finish decorating and get the house on the market and then sell it. If Jamie does get this job they want him in Perth sometime in Jan. OMG it's an impossible task!
Good luck
Jo
P.S went to Sydney in March and fell in love with the place

hi jo

you are sooo lucky getting offered work in Perth, I really had my heart set on going there, where i was gonna live etc.....

Oh well, this might be a new door opening for me and a window of oppertunity, i can always drive to Perth in my nice cheep car if i cant afford to rent anywhere there LOL!

It does look lovely tho doesnt it, just was shocked at prices there, i knew would be more expensive than perth but thought still would be cheeper than here, but never mind, the sun will compansate for my poorness

So you also have a house to sell?

Did they explain the tax relief to you??
She was very vauge with us, the package they offered was flights, 2 weeks accommodation and our visas, although i think we might have to fund our own medicals and police checks???? She said they will pay for excess luggage but not furniture etc......think if he gets it might just take nothing and buy all new over there OMG

LAURA
XXX
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:50 am
J+J
Small Member

J+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant futureJ+J has a brilliant future

hi jo

you are sooo lucky getting offered work in Perth, I really had my heart set on going there, where i was gonna live etc.....

Oh well, this might be a new door opening for me and a window of oppertunity, i can always drive to Perth in my nice cheep car if i cant afford to rent anywhere there LOL!

It does look lovely tho doesnt it, just was shocked at prices there, i knew would be more expensive than perth but thought still would be cheeper than here, but never mind, the sun will compansate for my poorness

So you also have a house to sell?

Did they explain the tax relief to you??
She was very vauge with us, the package they offered was flights, 2 weeks accommodation and our visas, although i think we might have to fund our own medicals and police checks???? She said they will pay for excess luggage but not furniture etc......think if he gets it might just take nothing and buy all new over there OMG

LAURA
XXX
HI Ya
No, not explained about tax relief!
What is it?
We had our hearts set on Adelaide or Brisbane and never really considered Perth. We know nothing about it or which areas to look at!!
I've got a friend who's renting in Sydney so I'll ask her what area she's in and how much she pays for what sort of accomodation!
jo
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by J+J
HI Ya
No, not explained about tax relief!
What is it?
We had our hearts set on Adelaide or Brisbane and never really considered Perth. We know nothing about it or which areas to look at!!
I've got a friend who's renting in Sydney so I'll ask her what area she's in and how much she pays for what sort of accomodation!
jo

thanks Jo that would be brill.

I have also sent you a PM

lLaura
xx
Old Nov 6th 2004, 2:54 am

lLaura
xx

PS

if you need to know anything about Perth, i'll ask my auntie, if i cant help you. YOu will love it there, its nice and hot
Old Nov 6th 2004, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

PS

if you need to know anything about Perth, i'll ask my auntie, if i cant help you. YOu will love it there, its nice and hot
Hi again,

Miller street is central North Sydney, just after the bridge. If you decide to live in the suburbs you should go near Chatswood, Crows nest etc. Or even all the way to Normanhurst (I commuted from there, takes about 40 min). You can also try Neutral Bay, Cremorne, etc etc near the water its lovely but a bit more expensive. Mind you, I also lived in Mosman (posh) but my rent was really low!!!

Chatswood and the northers suburbs are easily accessible on the train (direct). If i were you i would stick to the north because south of the bridge is a really hassle driving plus you have to pay the toll each time and there is a large chance you will have to change trains.

Let us know how it goes!!!
fabs
Old Nov 6th 2004, 3:10 am
J+J
Small Member

lLaura
xx
PM'd you back
Old Nov 6th 2004, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hi again,

Miller street is central North Sydney, just after the bridge. If you decide to live in the suburbs you should go near Chatswood, Crows nest etc. Or even all the way to Normanhurst (I commuted from there, takes about 40 min). You can also try Neutral Bay, Cremorne, etc etc near the water its lovely but a bit more expensive. Mind you, I also lived in Mosman (posh) but my rent was really low!!!

Chatswood and the northers suburbs are easily accessible on the train (direct). If i were you i would stick to the north because south of the bridge is a really hassle driving plus you have to pay the toll each time and there is a large chance you will have to change trains.

Let us know how it goes!!!
fabs
thanks fabs

I will look into that.
You are applying on the same visa class as us, (well depending on the job offer and after we have gotten there if he gets the job)

Dare i ask how you get cheep rent in a posh place??

laura
x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.