Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jammy b*****d of the year award 2005 - UK to Oz driving licence

Wikiposts

Jammy b*****d of the year award 2005 - UK to Oz driving licence

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:04 pm
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Jammy b*****d of the year award 2005 - UK to Oz driving licence

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Well, after several days reading the driving manual and doing on-line tests since 6am this morning. Wazzie went to the Licensing Centre in order to beat Mrs B's score of 29 out of 30 on the theory test.

Walked in and the lady said it was my "lucky day". Was I the millionth customer and won a car I enquired ? "Not quite" she replied.

From 1st Jan 2005 all UK migrants holding full driving licences just get a straight transfer form to fill in and do not need to do the theory test !!

Jammy or what !! Badge I want my award now !

The only reason I hadn't done it up to now is that I kept running out of time. Even the manager asked me had I waited until the first day back after the hols to do it !!

Wazzie is one happy Bunny however still had to part with $143.00 for the privilege of getitng a 5 year Oz licence.

I guess any new migrant doesn't need to know the rules of the road over here :scared: which is a bit scary.

BTW I also saw that this applies to USA, Canada, Sweden, Switzland, Singapore, Netherlands, Finland, Norway plus several others but I could read it all upside down on their crib sheet.

I get my licence in the post 7 days from now.

Warren

Thanks Warren!

That's good to know!! Will be dangerous on the Perth roads when I arrive...

Couldn't find it on the website yet, but I guess they still have to update it.

Cheers,
Sander
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:49 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Jammy b******d

Pity Queensland haven't done the same
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

jinxnkay is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lathlain
What!
I got 29 out of 30 when i did mine in West Perth 6 weeks ago, but I never thought it would change to a direct transfer. Maybe they have realised that most UK migrants have been getting very good scores, and saw no need to use the test method?
Well done mate.
i got 30 out of 30 passed first time. am i the winner? or just a big sad swot
kay
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

THANKS WARREN!

thats great news - was just about to ring the licensing centre to see when i could sit my test - now all i have to do is ring 'em to see where i can get the forms!

you've just made my day (even though i've been passing all the tests on the internet, i'm really bad at doing stuff like that 'for serious' )

tanja
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sunny side up
THANKS WARREN!

thats great news - was just about to ring the licensing centre to see when i could sit my test - now all i have to do is ring 'em to see where i can get the forms!

you've just made my day (even though i've been passing all the tests on the internet, i'm really bad at doing stuff like that 'for serious' )

tanja
i am about to sit mine in QLD, can some one link me to some online test places to see if I am 'ready'? I couldnt find any!

I tell you, when I read the first post I nearly jumped for joy...until I saw only for WA, then someone said, get a WA one then transfer it...hopes started to rise again..... until Jeremy dashed in and spoilt it! :-)
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:52 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
i am about to sit mine in QLD, can some one link me to some online test places to see if I am 'ready'? I couldnt find any!

I tell you, when I read the first post I nearly jumped for joy...until I saw only for WA, then someone said, get a WA one then transfer it...hopes started to rise again..... until Jeremy dashed in and spoilt it! :-)
I have some links on http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_driving.htm
QLD doesn't have an online one, so I used the WA to practice with.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:22 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

THANKS WARREN!

tanja
If you find the forms let me know, I emailed the licensing services yesterday to see if I could get a copy of the form, no reply as yet...
Steve
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:34 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Did you just practice or did you read the QLD book? I tried printing the booklet off but for some reason it wouldn't let me
Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:06 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Did you just practice or did you read the QLD book? I tried printing the booklet off but for some reason it wouldn't let me
I practiced on the WA online version.
I've just looked at it, but I cant seem to get it working on full screen, so can't see if it is working properly. That sometimes happens to me now as I don't use MS Explorer.

The QLD one is only good for reference, but as it isn't an online practice, it isn't much use.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by steve99
If you find the forms let me know, I emailed the licensing services yesterday to see if I could get a copy of the form, no reply as yet...
Steve

hi steve,

just rang 'em - they told me to go to one of the licensing centres (which will be joondalup for me) - take my current driverslicense plus an english translation, some proof that im living at the address i say i am (i.e. bank statement) and they'd take a mugshot, get my details and that's it.
so that probably the way to go - go to a licensing centre and get it all done there (actually, the girl on the phone said that they werent really familiar with the procedure yet - so that might be why you havent gotten any forms yet)

good luck with it

tanja
Old Jan 4th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone know if qld will follow suit? surely the whole of oz will be the same? couldnt find any up to date info on the qld site but have emailed them.
Trish
Old Jan 4th 2005, 10:07 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I practiced on the WA online version.
I've just looked at it, but I cant seem to get it working on full screen, so can't see if it is working properly. That sometimes happens to me now as I don't use MS Explorer.

The QLD one is only good for reference, but as it isn't an online practice, it isn't much use.

Thanks - I got the WA one working the other day, will go with that and a quick online scan of the QLD one I think Maybe if I hold off, I won't have to do the test either though!
Old Jan 5th 2005, 10:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jimtrish
does anyone know if qld will follow suit? surely the whole of oz will be the same? couldnt find any up to date info on the qld site but have emailed them.
Trish
Very unlikely, but then who knows, it may
And your comment surely the whole of oz will be the same did make me laugh, not at you, but at my experiences of so many different things in the different States here.

We really do have to consider each State as a seperate country in many ways.

Regarding the changes in swapping a UK licence to Australian, one example of change is in NSW. eg: Back in the 1980's NSW had a policy to just swap drivers licences, no theory, no practical test etc., then they changed to a practical test, then changed again to a theory test.

QLD with its L plates is another example of change, they used to be compulsory, then they became voluntary, and now they are trialling P plates as compulsory, and may consider compulsory L plates again in a few years time.

Another example of the States individuality is:
If someone commits a crime in another State, the State that wants them often has to apply for extradition to get them brought back to that State.

It seems odd to begin with, but when you start thinking of each State as individual, then it becomes more acceptable.

Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:02 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

hi steve,

just rang 'em - they told me to go to one of the licensing centres (which will be joondalup for me) - take my current driverslicense plus an english translation, some proof that im living at the address i say i am (i.e. bank statement) and they'd take a mugshot, get my details and that's it.
so that probably the way to go - go to a licensing centre and get it all done there (actually, the girl on the phone said that they werent really familiar with the procedure yet - so that might be why you havent gotten any forms yet)

good luck with it

tanja
Thanks for the info Tanja, I'll leave it a couple of weeks and will head up there and give it a go.

Good luck with yours,
Regards
Steve
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Thanks Diamond, thats really useful. I got 27 in the test and havnt revised yet (thats to say every day I say I will do it tonight but dont, or I start and get half way thru and get bored and by the time I get round to doing it again I need to start from the beginning!)

I am 100% going to do it next Monday! I am not sure how much the WA one varies from the QLD one, but half of the questions could be answered by simply eliminating the obviously absurd answers! Is the real test much like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.