Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jammy b*****d of the year award 2005 - UK to Oz driving licence

Jammy b*****d of the year award 2005 - UK to Oz driving licence

Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:42 am
Go Banana's !!

Thumbs up Jammy b*****d of the year award 2005 - UK to Oz driving licence

Well, after several days reading the driving manual and doing on-line tests since 6am this morning. Wazzie went to the Licensing Centre in order to beat Mrs B's score of 29 out of 30 on the theory test.

Walked in and the lady said it was my "lucky day". Was I the millionth customer and won a car I enquired ? "Not quite" she replied.

From 1st Jan 2005 all UK migrants holding full driving licences just get a straight transfer form to fill in and do not need to do the theory test !!

Jammy or what !! Badge I want my award now !

The only reason I hadn't done it up to now is that I kept running out of time. Even the manager asked me had I waited until the first day back after the hols to do it !!

Wazzie is one happy Bunny however still had to part with $143.00 for the privilege of getitng a 5 year Oz licence.

I guess any new migrant doesn't need to know the rules of the road over here :scared: which is a bit scary.

BTW I also saw that this applies to USA, Canada, Sweden, Switzland, Singapore, Netherlands, Finland, Norway plus several others but I could read it all upside down on their crib sheet.

I get my licence in the post 7 days from now.

Warren

Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Jammy b*****d of the year award 2005 - UK to Oz driving licence

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
From 1st Jan 2005 all UK migrants holding full driving licences just get a straight transfer form to fill in and do not need to do the theory test !!
Well done Warren

Do you know if that is that just for WA ?

Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:46 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, after several days reading the driving manual and doing on-line tests since 6am this morning. Wazzie went to the Licensing Centre in order to beat Mrs B's score of 29 out of 30 on the theory test.

Walked in and the lady said it was my "lucky day". Was I the millionth customer and won a car I enquired ? "Not quite" she replied.

The only reason I hadn't done it up to now is that I kept running out of time. Even the manager asked me had I waited until the first day back after the hols to do it !!

Wazzie is one happy Bunny however still had to part with $143.00 for the privilege of getitng a 5 year Oz licence.

I guess any new migrant doesn't need to know the rules of the road over here :scared: which is a bit scary.

BTW I also saw that this applies to USA, Canada, Sweden, Switzland, Singapore, Netherlands, Finland, Norway plus several others but I could read it all upside down on their crib sheet.

Warren
Very jammy - am I safest walking on the road or pavement?

Cas
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:47 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

be careful. each state has it's own rules, and this may well only apply to western australia!!

update: just been and checked, queensland still requires written test - unless they haven't updated the website (though there is a list of road rule changes effective from 01/01/2005 so i suspect they have).

Warren

Last edited by brisnick; Jan 4th 2005 at 12:53 am.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:50 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Should I be frightened? Well done, Warren!

Now just remember.. those red signs with the white edge and the word STOP on them... mean STOP, k?

Siren
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:56 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, congrats!

I can't drive so I'm just jealous you can.......LOL!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 12:57 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Well done Warren

Do you know if that is that just for WA ?

Don't think its QLD - I was only in their office the week before Christmas and they didn't mention anything.... wish it were though, I'd be down there this afternoon

Well done to you though Warren!

Hypothetically though, a new migrant could go to WA, get their Aussie licence and then just get it changed across without a test in their own state??? Now, where did I see those cheap tickets to Perth again

Last edited by mlbonner; Jan 4th 2005 at 1:15 am.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Very jammy - am I safest walking on the road or pavement?

Cas
Its safest to drive on the pavement (less hard things to hit)
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:29 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Warren
Thats cheered up my first day back at work!
We've been meaning to get our WA license for a few months, but never seem to have the time to go and sit the test etc (honest !)
It was top of our New Year Resolutions list and we'd aimed to try and do it by the end of the month...
Which licensing centre did you go to ? Ive heard Joondalup is a bit quieter than the main Perth one?
I want to make sure I see that nice lady you saw

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 4th 2005, 3:58 am
PommieLeague

Warren
What!
I got 29 out of 30 when i did mine in West Perth 6 weeks ago, but I never thought it would change to a direct transfer. Maybe they have realised that most UK migrants have been getting very good scores, and saw no need to use the test method?
Well done mate.

Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hypothetically though, a new migrant could go to WA, get their Aussie licence and then just get it changed across without a test in their own state??? Now, where did I see those cheap tickets to Perth again
If you move to WA and later move on - yes.
If you're just visiting - no.

You need to be a resident of the state/territory concerned to get issued a licence.

Jeremy
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:28 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you move to WA and later move on - yes.
If you're just visiting - no.

You need to be a resident of the state/territory concerned to get issued a licence.

Jeremy

Okay I wasn't going to, just thinking about people on the borders...
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:39 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by steve99
Thats cheered up my first day back at work!
We've been meaning to get our WA license for a few months, but never seem to have the time to go and sit the test etc (honest !)
It was top of our New Year Resolutions list and we'd aimed to try and do it by the end of the month...
Which licensing centre did you go to ? Ive heard Joondalup is a bit quieter than the main Perth one?
I want to make sure I see that nice lady you saw

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve,

Glad to make your day ! It was the Morely branch and they open at 8.15am I think. I got there at 8.45hrs and the whole process took less than 30 mins !!

After 9am the place was heaving so I suggest you get there early.

Good luck

Warren

Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:53 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Warren

sheiiitt, and I thought $160 for a 10year licence in Vic was steep!!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:58 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,

Glad to make your day ! It was the Morely branch and they open at 8.15am I think. I got there at 8.45hrs and the whole process took less than 30 mins !!

After 9am the place was heaving so I suggest you get there early.

Good luck

Warren
Hi Warren,
Thanks for the info, sorry to ask more questions! did the form have anything about the 3 month time limit that you supposedly have to convert over to the WA one? Ive been here a little longer...

They dont have a nasty question like, "when did you become a permanent resident of WA? (please note if youve been here longer than 3 months, you'll be required to have 3 months of driving lessons, sit a manual and a theory test, show P & L Plates for ever and gives us loads of money for the privelidge )" do they?

Cheers
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.