Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

JAMAICANS IN AUSTRALIA

JAMAICANS IN AUSTRALIA

Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JAMAICANS IN AUSTRALIA

Originally Posted by renth
That's total bollocks - Kingston is one of the most violent places on the planet.
Indeed. Kingston is as good as a no go zone if you are a stranger...and far from ideal if a local. Jamaica is in the top countries when it comes to death by violent means.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
l have heard of it , but it was slavery on a small scale comapared to the USA. Blackbirding was the kidnapping of black pacific islanders and forcing them to work on Queenland sugar cane plantations,
but is was still slavery .. so Australia DOES have a history of slavery.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:28 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by copa
but is was still slavery .. so Australia DOES have a history of slavery.
yes on a very small scale, the main slavery in OZ's history was the convicts who were put to work on farms, building roads , bridges and so on,
Old Nov 7th 2009, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Apparently some of the early convicts were black West Indians. I met a woman who was fostering our dog and she told me that her ancestor was a black man on the first fleet. I was surprised but then went to the Hyde Park Barracks museum in Sydney which was a former dormitory for convicts and they had descriptions of some of the convicts and at least two were black West Indians who were transported for stealing goods back in the West Indies as slaves. Interesting.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:17 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Apparently some of the early convicts were black West Indians. I met a woman who was fostering our dog and she told me that her ancestor was a black man on the first fleet. I was surprised but then went to the Hyde Park Barracks museum in Sydney which was a former dormitory for convicts and they had descriptions of some of the convicts and at least two were black West Indians who were transported for stealing goods back in the West Indies as slaves. Interesting.
Yes Australias first bushranger or outlaw was a black west Indian escaped convict. The Aboriginies took him in and gave him food and shelter, l guess they could relate to another black person being treated badly by the white man.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 7:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACE
Hi,
I am second generation Jamaican as is my mate. I have lived here for over two years and she has been here for almost ten. We are both from London and absolutely love it here in Mandurah. Haven't come across any West Indian food shops but on a recent visit to Surfers paradise was stunned by the variety of cuisine on offer. We ate from a different nationality every night but could not find any West Indian food.
aww you missed this one
http://www.shi-lohjamaican.com/
we have eaten there several times foods good,
and when the cookings finishes the chef comes out and sings reggae
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
aww you missed this one
A sey one! I-mon waan dat.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 12:53 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
aww you missed this one
Cheers Steve, sounds awesome, we will check it out next time we go over east.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:40 am
Just Joined

MikeMatthew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RobT
I am in Australia - looking for some other Jamaicans - I am in Northern NSW. Any Jamaicans here??
Grew up around Wembley, North London- Might have well been in Kingston JA as far as my upbringing was concerned.
Now living in Melbourne - Any BBWI's or WI's in Melbourne say hi please.
Once saw a guy with a JA flag on the back of his car, never met anyone else of JA extraction in Melboune in 20years, not that I've been lookin that hard though. One Love from Mikey - [email protected]