Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've just found out what woodlice are called in Australia

I've just found out what woodlice are called in Australia

Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:39 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I've just found out what woodlice are called in Australia

Originally Posted by Hutch
We call 'em armadillos.
You live in lilliput though.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Did you know woodlice/slaters are crustaceans?

I wonder if they turn pink when you boil them and taste delicious.??
I've no idea, but when my youngest was about 3, i caught him in the garden trying to pick one up. I asked what he was doing and he said he was trying to catch one to taste it . I explained that he shouldn't do that, he then went on to say that he'd already tried ants and that they were crunchy :scared: - he just wanted to see if these were crunchy too
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
We call 'em armadillos.
Armadillos! - smooth on the outside, crunchy on the inside ! armadillos !

(Dime bar advert starring I think harry enfield?)

Anyways, I have seen someone use them in a recipe, again stating that they are crustaceans and can be eaten just like prawns !

thing is, can't remember whether it was a pukka chef like jamie oliver or whether it was Ray Mears or that bloke off River Cottage !

andy
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
Armadillos! - smooth on the outside, crunchy on the inside ! armadillos !

(Dime bar advert starring I think harry enfield?)

Anyways, I have seen someone use them in a recipe, again stating that they are crustaceans and can be eaten just like prawns !

thing is, can't remember whether it was a pukka chef like jamie oliver or whether it was Ray Mears or that bloke off River Cottage !

andy

Possibly Ray Mears as he does bush living.
I was going to mention the dime bar advert
Mandy
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:20 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
Did you know woodlice/slaters are crustaceans?

I wonder if they turn pink when you boil them and taste delicious.??

You can eat them. They're nutritious.
'Why Not Eat Insects?' is a good book to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/056...lance&n=283155

Personally, I prefer a steak, but whatever rings your bell.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
You can eat them. They're nutritious.
'Why Not Eat Insects?' is a good book to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/056...lance&n=283155

Personally, I prefer a steak, but whatever rings your bell.
The kids at the school i used to teach at called them Cheesybugs. When i asked why i was told by a 6yr old...
"Its cos when you squeeze em in your fingers Miss they look like Dairylea"

EWWWW!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

been here three years & haven't seen an earwig yet! do we have them in Australia? or am I just lucky .....
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by doub
been here three years & haven't seen an earwig yet! do we have them in Australia? or am I just lucky .....
Saw some this morning when camping South of the Tweed
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Kimmy67 will become famous soon enoughKimmy67 will become famous soon enough

It was Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall that cooked them and put them in an omelette

Another fun thing I was shown the other day that you can do if you are sitting on the ground by them and completely bored....

If you touch the female ones, they role into a complete ball and you can flick them miles LOL. Good fun if there are two of you, kills some time - like marbles I guess.

Trust me thought, what ever your age, you won't be able to resist trying this one, and doing it on the odd occasion to amuse your inner child.

Enjoy - Kim
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kimmy67
It was Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall that cooked them and put them in an omelette

Another fun thing I was shown the other day that you can do if you are sitting on the ground by them and completely bored....

If you touch the female ones, they role into a complete ball and you can flick them miles LOL. Good fun if there are two of you, kills some time - like marbles I guess.

Trust me thought, what ever your age, you won't be able to resist trying this one, and doing it on the odd occasion to amuse your inner child.

Enjoy - Kim
Thats so cruel

( back in a mo - just going to see if there are any under the mop outside )