Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've got a UK laptop and Aussie phone line - what now?

I've got a UK laptop and Aussie phone line - what now?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:16 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I've got a UK laptop and Aussie phone line - what now?

Does anyone know what I need to do to get on the internet? Do I need to do anything to my laptop to use it in Australia and does anyone know a good ISP?

I have a telstra line btw.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've got a UK laptop and Aussie phone line - what now?

Originally Posted by diddy
Does anyone know what I need to do to get on the internet? Do I need to do anything to my laptop to use it in Australia and does anyone know a good ISP?

Thanks,

Paul.
I bought an optus pre-pay $35 for 45 days unlimited use.

You have to py for a local call each time you connect, but most times you can stay connected all day.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:24 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fraser. Do you know if it's just a case of plugging the laptop into the phoneline or do I need to do anything to a UK modem?

Ta,

Paul.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:26 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fraser. Do you know if it's just a case of plugging the laptop into the phoneline or do I need to do anything to a UK modem?

Ta,

Paul.
Yep just plug it in
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:28 am

You don't have to get pre-pay you can use your internet connection izard and it will find a server for you, just make sure the laptop knows it's in oz
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:29 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by fraser
You don't have to get pre-pay you can use your internet connection izard and it will find a server for you, just make sure the laptop knows it's in oz
That's what I mean. I'm a complete IT dunce. How does the laptop know it's in Oz?

Paul.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:31 am

That's what I mean. I'm a complete IT dunce. How does the laptop know it's in Oz?

Paul.
It will probably ask when you go to internet connection wizard, or set the time to Australia.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:32 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

The best dialup deal in Aus - http://www.beagle.com.au/
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:37 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Paul.
Click 'start' then 'control panel' then 'regional & language settings' set it for Aus.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:43 am
Just Joined

CPGagie is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the computer a lot for work during March and October (hol time now, get in! ) I use "itxpress", I have a 512/128 broadband with them, no limits or caps. Its $101 per month, it was the cheapest I could find for what I need. It is discusting to be honest, the citizens in Australia are getting screwed big time on this front.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:46 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks.

Paul.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:11 am
Coogee Rocks

Originally Posted by CPGagie
I use the computer a lot for work during March and October (hol time now, get in! ) I use "itxpress", I have a 512/128 broadband with them, no limits or caps. Its $101 per month, it was the cheapest I could find for what I need. It is discusting to be honest, the citizens in Australia are getting screwed big time on this front.

The main companies are offering horrible deals becasue they no that aussies trust the big names e.g. Telstra, Optus etc.. Same as BT in the UK.

I have 12,000/1000 for about $100 (this includes a phone line and calls for a month) 20 gig limit which I get nowhere near even playign lots of online games and sufign the net most nights. I would need more if i was downloading music movies of course.

S

Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Smudgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Paul.
Have a look at http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ enter your postcode & a list of available ISPs & prices are displayed. The discussion is good to get an idea of the quality of service etc