Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've been bitten by a spider!

Wikiposts

I've been bitten by a spider!

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:40 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
In most of my books it does say the Huntsman can cause some pain and illness depending on the actual person - it was also once believed to be the cause of skin necrosis , but now they think that the white tip spider is the one that does this in some people (some people have had bad necrosis through spider bites - basically it rots the skin - and the only way to stop it is to cut out the infected skin)
The last book I read suggested that spider venom is not necrotic, but the bite itself gets infected with necrotic bacteria. I've had necrosis and it isn't fun. I would have thought that there's as much chance of being bitten by a spider as there is of being stung by a wasp or bee in the UK. There are creepy-crawlies everywhere.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:47 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
Hi dotty,
I don't suppose you have a pic of it do you? I have a couple of spider books in the house and maybe be able to match it up for you. It could also be a type of Huntsman spider - there are a few different types of huntsman spiders in Aus- one of them is yellow sort of orange colour, I haven't seen one of these in the flesh myself.

In most of my books it does say the Huntsman can cause some pain and illness depending on the actual person - it was also once believed to be the cause of skin necrosis , but now they think that the white tip spider is the one that does this in some people (some people have had bad necrosis through spider bites - basically it rots the skin - and the only way to stop it is to cut out the infected skin)

cheers

PS another way to identify anything unusual is to take a pic of it and ask one of the museums, or email them - The sydney one usually will identify it for you. - they do the same for fish species as well.

It could also be one of the Wolf spiders - some of them have an odd pattern on the back - and can be about the size of some some of the Huntsmen - they have funny eyes too. It could be anything.
ceri it sounds like it could be "saint andrews cross spider" my son in law who works in an almond orchard , say,s they build webs between the trees , really tough webs, they drive down the rows with a stick above their heads , because getting one in your face is really unpleasent ,plus they bite like hell, [ non toxic ] but pain full........MM
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 11:47 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Chart to the Common Spiders of South-east Queensland
Old Apr 24th 2003, 1:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bored_bean
The last book I read suggested that spider venom is not necrotic, but the bite itself gets infected with necrotic bacteria. I've had necrosis and it isn't fun. I would have thought that there's as much chance of being bitten by a spider as there is of being stung by a wasp or bee in the UK. There are creepy-crawlies everywhere.
staphylococcus (spelling) - microbe - join the club! I spent over a year in and out of hospital ( 4 weeks in patient having flesh and tissue scraped out) and learning to walk without a limp , (loss of feeling to damaged nerves due to the op) had to have a lot cut out, you could have fitted a coke can into my wound - where the flesh was cut out, two op's and one skin graft which was on one of my legs, it was from a fishing accident, necrosis set in - long story - you wouldn't believe it! I'll post a photo of it one day, but it's actually a bit gory (the after op photos - not very nice to post up on a "family site") . I've a beut scar from it (2 and a half year's on ) on one of my legs - I usually wear trousers or long skirts now just to cover it up - Hubby said if it was him - he'd be showing it off - "looking cool" (looks a bit like a shark bite/wound) , difference between men and women eh vanity!

It's the microbes/bacteria (which you can pick up even from dirt/earth) in the poison "so to speak" - same as a Komodo Dragon. They think now , it may be the white tip spider is the one that causes it - the huntsman has been blamed in the past.

No it's not nice - it can result in amputation if the necrosis infection goes into the bone - I do know, been there, well almost there if with the amputation, and it is very scary .

cheers

PS Saint Andrews cross spider - I've seen heaps of these , mostly when I was living in NSW they used to a build webs across my trees and one of my doors - I don't come across them much here in my garden in Brissie, just the odd one, and what dotty is describing - surely it can't be , they are so easy to identify.

Hard to tell what she is describing really without a pic - could be anything. Perhaps if she has actually discovered a new species she could name it after herself - The Dotty - or what's the Latin name for the Dotty?
Cheers
Old Apr 24th 2003, 8:24 am
Just Joined

kizkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
We also found two awful things, big as huntsmen, with a bizzare set of white eyes almost a skull on their back and a bit of a yellow pattern. Nobody seems to know what they
Is this it?

http://www.qmuseum.qld.gov.au/featur...inedSpider.asp
Old Apr 24th 2003, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the spiders could be a variety of the Spotted Ground Spider although, our variety seems to be a bit bigger and has a definite set of fangs. Has a really shiney almost patent leather type skin. Thanks for the websites at least I doubt now it will kill me.

We have a creek down the side of our house, all these little rock pools and we get an amazing selection of weird creatures. One big lizard comes up and nicks the dogs bones, then theres a bird that screams like a howling cat. Quite freaky here at night, not a house for the timid.

Shall get husband to read all this stuff, then perhaps he will finally kill the huntmans he lets live in the house.