Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've been bitten by a spider!

I've been bitten by a spider!

Old Feb 20th 2003, 1:38 am
Retired *********

pread is an unknown quantity at this point

Denhim,

My wife has been hypnotized to give up smoking. It worked in her case (she's been fag-free for 5 years now). But depending on where you're going, you really may not find arachnaphobia a problem. We hardly see any spiders in our house/garden in Melbourne's SE suburbs. Only 1 has been any bigger than we were used to in Europe. If you live in a city, in a seventh floor apartment, you'll probably never see one. I'd suggest that you cross that bridge when (if) you come to it.

Cheers,
Paul.

Originally posted by denhim
Spiders is about the only thing im not looking forward to when i move to oz. i was considering hypnotheripy.
Has anyone been hypnotised before? Does it work?
Im realy a wuss when it comes to them that even reading about your tales gives me shivers down my spine.
Old Feb 20th 2003, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

would be nice to hypnotise the spiders to not come into houses.....or JWW's cycling shorts

Old Feb 20th 2003, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hypno

you beat me too it jaffa,
we had a biggish one in the lounge tonight, tried waving my watch in front of his eyes that didnt work so the wife waved her shoe at it and that really hypnotised him.
some of the smaller ones are pretty damn fast as well.
shaun
Old Apr 15th 2003, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

cheriepie is an unknown quantity at this point

argghh :scared:

these huntmen spiders are a worry. how often do you see them???
Old Apr 15th 2003, 2:21 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by denhim
Spiders is about the only thing im not looking forward to when i move to oz. i was considering hypnotheripy.
Has anyone been hypnotised before? Does it work?
Im realy a wuss when it comes to them that even reading about your tales gives me shivers down my spine.

Yes I have had hynotherapy and it worked. I was a chocoloholic (like Dawn French!!!) also for ice cream but after two visits and a tape they give you of the session to listen to at home I have not touched either for 8 years. The house is full of chocs and icecream but I am not interested. However Get one that is recommended I did go to one who was absolutely useless.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 2:23 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: hypno

Originally posted by shaun/lor
you beat me too it jaffa,
we had a biggish one in the lounge tonight, tried waving my watch in front of his eyes that didnt work so the wife waved her shoe at it and that really hypnotised him.
some of the smaller ones are pretty damn fast as well.
shaun

I don't know if anyone can give the precise item I am speaking of but my son (and wis wife) are anti-spiders etc and they used to have lots in their house. They bought a plug in 'silent sound' thing that seems to banish all spiders, mice etc and they say it works. Can't ask them what it is at present they are in Florida - lucky B******s

Old Apr 15th 2003, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Scary! We have killed about 5 white tails in the last 4 weeks, all in the house. Had no idea they crept into clothes so will frantically shake out clothing from now on as well as bang out the shoes. I've had a redback jump out of my son's shoe when I was banging it out and also another one in the metal grill over the storm drain just as I was picking it up to clean out the drain, I now wear gloves! arrghhh Huntsmen, they are huge and furry! I had one on the inside of the tailgate of the car, which I noticed when I lifted up the boot! God knows what would have happened if that had crawled over my lap while I was driving!! After I flicked it off and it went 'thump' onto the ground, one of those big black crow type birds came down and ate it! I'm just glad they are harmless!!

Mandy
Just to clarify......
1. huntsmen are not particularly harmless.....they just don't kill you, (unless you're allergic). They can give you quite a nasty bite with local pain, headache and nausea for quite a few hours.
2. However...they do a fine job in mopping up all the other nastier beasts, like white tails, wolf, and black house spiders.

I really don't mind the spiders.....anything that reduces the fly/mosquito population is ok in my book!!

I think you'll find, as we did, that for the first couple of months you are totally paranoid....shaking out shoes every morning etc etc. Soon, you figure out that it isn't like a real-life version of "eight legged freaks" after all.
The spiders get on with their business, and you get on with yours.....

don't worry about them

Dog
Old Apr 15th 2003, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

kizkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Links

Originally posted by JWW
Thanks for your genuine concern guys. You will be pleased to know the 'area' is healing...however the mental scars remain.

http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/spidersparlour/spider6.htm
Link to spider info and pictures

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/facts.htm
Link to Unusual Facts About Australia.
Has rude picture of either a spiderbite swelling, or
possibly PB, at top of page. Beware!
kkat
Old Apr 15th 2003, 8:04 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Allways check the bed frames of day -nite lounges white tails seem to like to make nests in the frame work, we have noticed this, especially in the southern areas of Adelaide, [noarlunga, hallet cove,christes beach] and for all you nervous poms there's more chance of getting run over by a bus,than a spider bite.....MM
Old Apr 15th 2003, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

I really don't like spiders at all. Been here 12 years now and never been bitten but show me a Huntsman and I throw up. They seem to be more prevalent in the warmer weather.

Saw a beauty at the riding stables in Woodcroft last week - he must have been 6 inches from toe to toe! and very furry.

I didn't know I could move so fast!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

cheriepie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wizzywozza
I really don't like spiders at all. Been here 12 years now and never been bitten but show me a Huntsman and I throw up. They seem to be more prevalent in the warmer weather.

Saw a beauty at the riding stables in Woodcroft last week - he must have been 6 inches from toe to toe! and very furry.

I didn't know I could move so fast!!!!!!!!
there's something super scarey with all those legs moving quickly..... :scared:
Old Apr 24th 2003, 12:28 am
Just Joined

steve-d is an unknown quantity at this point

me and my family would love to move to NZ, more so my wife as i am an arachnologist/IT consultant.
interesting to find there are biters in NZ. At least it is one of the few countries in the world where you can't die when bitten by something.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 2:31 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dog19363
Just to clarify......
1. huntsmen are not particularly harmless.....they just don't kill you, (unless you're allergic). They can give you quite a nasty bite with local pain, headache and nausea for quite a few hours.
2. However...they do a fine job in mopping up all the other nastier beasts, like white tails, wolf, and black house spiders.

I really don't mind the spiders.....anything that reduces the fly/mosquito population is ok in my book!!

I think you'll find, as we did, that for the first couple of months you are totally paranoid....shaking out shoes every morning etc etc. Soon, you figure out that it isn't like a real-life version of "eight legged freaks" after all.
The spiders get on with their business, and you get on with yours.....

don't worry about them

Dog

True dog - I keep reading on here about people saying the Huntsman is harmless. It really depends on the person - it can make you ill for a couple of days if bitten depending on the person. They just don't kill you that's all. They are pretty shy anyway - put your hand near one they will run in the opposite direction. I like them - they keep the pests down.

Spiders have never really bothered me either- just take precautions that's all, don't stick your hand blindly into a box in the garage etc, I have plenty of redbacks and Huntsmen around my property - redbacks I leave alone , unless they are on the garage door - near to where I put my hand, I just spray those.

cheers
Pic below was taken in my last house - a smallish one, they come bigger than this.

Old Apr 24th 2003, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Quite interested in the opinion huntsmen can be dangerous. We live in Buderim Sunshine coast and they are all over our house, its in the trees and we dont even try to kill them. The big guys are as big as palm of husbands hand, but they seem non aggessive and definately eat flies and mosquitoes. Redbacks common too but we kill them. We also found two awful things, big as huntsmen, with a bizzare set of white eyes almost a skull on their back and a bit of a yellow pattern. Nobody seems to know what they, killed them and in a coffee jar hoping somebody can shed some light on them, just hope there are no more.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 6:06 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
Quite interested in the opinion huntsmen can be dangerous. We live in Buderim Sunshine coast and they are all over our house, its in the trees and we dont even try to kill them. The big guys are as big as palm of husbands hand, but they seem non aggessive and definately eat flies and mosquitoes. Redbacks common too but we kill them. We also found two awful things, big as huntsmen, with a bizzare set of white eyes almost a skull on their back and a bit of a yellow pattern. Nobody seems to know what they, killed them and in a coffee jar hoping somebody can shed some light on them, just hope there are no more.
Hi dotty,
I don't suppose you have a pic of it do you? I have a couple of spider books in the house and maybe be able to match it up for you. It could also be a type of Huntsman spider - there are a few different types of huntsman spiders in Aus- one of them is yellow sort of orange colour, I haven't seen one of these in the flesh myself.

In most of my books it does say the Huntsman can cause some pain and illness depending on the actual person - it was also once believed to be the cause of skin necrosis , but now they think that the white tip spider is the one that does this in some people (some people have had bad necrosis through spider bites - basically it rots the skin - and the only way to stop it is to cut out the infected skin)

cheers

PS another way to identify anything unusual is to take a pic of it and ask one of the museums, or email them - The sydney one usually will identify it for you. - they do the same for fish species as well.

It could also be one of the Wolf spiders - some of them have an odd pattern on the back - and can be about the size of some some of the Huntsmen - they have funny eyes too. It could be anything.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 24th 2003 at 6:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.