Reload this Page >

I've been bitten by a spider!

I've been bitten by a spider!

Old Feb 17th 2003, 7:53 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough
Default I've been bitten by a spider!

Yes, just so everyone knows it does happen....

The mother of all white-tail spiders decided to use my cycle shorts for an overnight stay this weekend, and after putting them on and taking off on my usual 7am Sunday morning ride the rather unpleasant and predictable happened.

I am now on antibiotics, nursing an infected swollen upper leg (no..not the worst case scenario) and feeling as crook as a dog.

Also, for informational puposes, the pain of the bite was about 4 times as bad as a wasp sting...at least...it fricken hurts.

I am, however, glad I am in New Zealand...had it been one of those nasty ocker spiders things could be worse.

J.
Old Feb 17th 2003, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

oh dear, could have been worse!!!!!! hope your feeling a little better.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

aaaaaaaaaaaaghhhh the infamous white tip spider - they get everywhere!
Old Feb 18th 2003, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I've been bitten by a spider!

Look on the bright side
It could have biten you somewhere else if you know what I mean!
Old Feb 18th 2003, 12:20 pm
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

Like the joke goes "Doctor can you take away the pain but keep the swelling"
Old Feb 18th 2003, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,Sorry but I`VE nearly stopped laughing at your post.Look on the brightside had it been the worst case scenario you could at least have impressed the ladies with your swelling. jockney
Old Feb 18th 2003, 7:37 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Thanks for your genuine concern guys. You will be pleased to know the 'area' is healing...however the mental scars remain.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

jkpake is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JWW
Thanks for your genuine concern guys. You will be pleased to know the 'area' is healing...however the mental scars remain.
how big are these spiders, and are there many in new zealand?

what is the worst spider in NZ?
Old Feb 18th 2003, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

In Adelaide white tip spiders are anything from half a centimtre to about 3 centimetres long - been here 12 years and never been bitten by one.

But if someone could pleeeeeeeeeease get rid of all the Huntsmen spiders I would be a happy girl - they seem to be getting bigger every year.
Old Feb 18th 2003, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Scary! We have killed about 5 white tails in the last 4 weeks, all in the house. Had no idea they crept into clothes so will frantically shake out clothing from now on as well as bang out the shoes. I've had a redback jump out of my son's shoe when I was banging it out and also another one in the metal grill over the storm drain just as I was picking it up to clean out the drain, I now wear gloves! arrghhh Huntsmen, they are huge and furry! I had one on the inside of the tailgate of the car, which I noticed when I lifted up the boot! God knows what would have happened if that had crawled over my lap while I was driving!! After I flicked it off and it went 'thump' onto the ground, one of those big black crow type birds came down and ate it! I'm just glad they are harmless!!

Mandy
Old Feb 18th 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Scary! We have killed about 5 white tails in the last 4 weeks, all in the house. Had no idea they crept into clothes so will frantically shake out clothing from now on as well as bang out the shoes. I've had a redback jump out of my son's shoe when I was banging it out and also another one in the metal grill over the storm drain just as I was picking it up to clean out the drain, I now wear gloves! arrghhh Huntsmen, they are huge and furry! I had one on the inside of the tailgate of the car, which I noticed when I lifted up the boot! God knows what would have happened if that had crawled over my lap while I was driving!! After I flicked it off and it went 'thump' onto the ground, one of those big black crow type birds came down and ate it! I'm just glad they are harmless!!

Mandy
My sympathies to JWW. Mandy, I have just about stopped laughing but I don't think it's for fun, I'm bloody terrified. This is going to be the biggest test for me when I come over.

I think I'll be having a few dreams tonight.

Ginny
Old Feb 18th 2003, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

my first encounter with a huntsmen in sydney was just after i had woken up. still half asleep, i looked up & there it was crawling accross the bed

thank God the spiders in nz are tiny. good luck with ur recovery JWW - it'll be a long process, but one day u'll be able to go cycling again.........
Old Feb 19th 2003, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

my first encounter with a Huntsman was just after we moved to Adelaide. I was rushing around getting ready to go out, decided to wear a top that I'd washed and hung out on the line to dry the day before. Being lazy, didn't iron it (well, it was dripdry!) but put it straight on. Felt 'something' running down my arm, and was horrified to see a huuuuge Huntsman come out of the sleeve and sit on the back of my hand. I flicked it on the floor, grabbed a can of bugspray and gave it a foam overcoat. The memory still makes me shiver, though these days I wouldn't dream of killing them, I trap them under a glass and wait for my poor husband to 're-home' them in the garden. adelaidegirl
Old Feb 19th 2003, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

jkpake is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sully4441
hi jkpake,
have a chuckle at this site!

www.tepapa.govt.nz

(sorry the full link to the correct page didn't seem to work, go to the above site and select 'Our resouces' then 'Collections' and finally 'entomology'. Its obvious from there just select the ' have a look at our spiders' page. It's not as long winded as it sounds)

sully
That was useful reading but what is the most common out of that list?

I hate spiders! as u can tell lol
Old Feb 19th 2003, 8:51 pm
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

Spiders is about the only thing im not looking forward to when i move to oz. i was considering hypnotheripy.
Has anyone been hypnotised before? Does it work?
Im realy a wuss when it comes to them that even reading about your tales gives me shivers down my spine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.