Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Its tough getting a job on a student visa!

Its tough getting a job on a student visa!

Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future
Default Its tough getting a job on a student visa!

The visa tra challages us to do 900 hrs in two years , otherwise get an extension.
I,ve been appling for loads of jobs and no one every replies, imo it makes sense to work in your chosen subject, but jobs are sure hard to find.
I,ve now started going into the work places, trying to meet the manager and asking if they have any jobs, but no luck yet.
The 20 hr rule on the student visa really limits your chances.
so 20 hrs/no experience/being a pomm =
I,ve also herd that the 900 hr will have be paid experience by end of 09, so no cash in hand, if u want to log the hours.
if anyone knows if theres any landscapers/gardeners/nurserys with part time work available let me know
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its tough getting a job on a student visa!

I am looking for the same type of work in Adelaide and it sure is hard, especially at this time of year.

One thing though, you CAN'T get an extention if you have not got your 900 hours! The extention is to earn more points through a years work or doing your IELTS test, BUT you have to have applied for your skills assessment to get that visa, which you must have done your 900 hours for.

It is not set in stone that it has to get paid work, but it does look likely to happen. It was never allowed to be cash in hand, but it could be voluntary.

Good luck. We have 20 more international students starting this week so there will be even more competition for the few jobs which are out there!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It is hard definitely. Most part time jobs want at least 25 hours so the 20 hour rule is tough, especially when you want to work in your trade. Nothing to do with being British though. Any student from any other country suffers the same issues. Keep plugging away, good luck.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:57 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shark bait
I'm currently advertising a part time position and I had a guy apply this week who I have no doubt been very good, but he was on a student visa. The 20 hour rule meant there is no flexibility if I need them to cover extra hours during other team members holidays etc.

Hi wife suggested I use her TFN for the extra hours her husband would work..... Err... not too sure that would be legal!!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:56 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

The only other thing that would help is if you teamed up with another student in the same course. That way there'd be two of you to share one position and between you up to 40 hours a week could be covered.

It's just an idea, and if you're desperate enough maybe another student would job share with you.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by shark bait
Why the reference to being British ? It applies to all nationalities in Australia, but it is even worse for an Australian student in the UK.

In Australia While the course you are studying is in session you cannot work more than 20 hours per week. No work limits apply
during recognised periods of vacation offered by your education provider
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1160i.pdf

In the UK those on student visas may work 20 hours/week during term time and 40 hours/week during holidays
http://www.ukimmigration.com/family/uk_student_visa.htm

If you hadn't made a reference to it being worse because you are a Pom, I would have agreed with you, it isn't easy, but it appears that it is actually harder for others.

Old Jan 31st 2009, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

The pomm reference is only cause Australians prefer to employ Australians, theres nothing wrong with this, it helps there economy after all.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't found it harder to get a job through being british at all, just the stupid work restrictions.

The idea of teaming up with another student is a good one BUT normally the other students on the course would be studying the same days you are, and as horticulture work needs doing all week they probably wouldn't want two people only available for the same time of the week, but not the rest.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:30 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I haven't found it harder to get a job through being british at all, just the stupid work restrictions.

The idea of teaming up with another student is a good one BUT normally the other students on the course would be studying the same days you are, and as horticulture work needs doing all week they probably wouldn't want two people only available for the same time of the week, but not the rest.
Ah, that makes sense. I hadn't thought of thought about that part. It's too bad it wouldn't work.