Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's tax return time! Yippeee! I have a question!

It's tax return time! Yippeee! I have a question!

Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:18 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's tax return time! Yippeee! I have a question!

Hi,
I've tried lots of different search words but nothing is coming up. I read here (last year I think) that you can claim for nights spent away from home. and there was a pdf. attachment of the rules and rates...

Has anyone kept it? Can anyone else find it? Pleeeease!

I'll Everso grateful, there's cyberstyle in it!
Cheers
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's tax return time! Yippeee! I have a question!

Originally Posted by alipally
Hi,
I've tried lots of different search words but nothing is coming up. I read here (last year I think) that you can claim for nights spent away from home. and there was a pdf. attachment of the rules and rates...

Has anyone kept it? Can anyone else find it? Pleeeease!

I'll Everso grateful, there's cyberstyle in it!
Cheers
I have it somewhere....hang on and I'll track it down......

Gotcha....
If you travel for work read this

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 24th 2009 at 8:25 am.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

This one?

Edit: Bugger you got there first.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 8:34 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This one?

Edit: Bugger you got there first.
Great minds remember the same threads!!!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:11 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much ladies!

Ali x
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:21 am
ABCDiamond

This is the current years information, 2008-09, in case anything has changed: http://law.ato.gov.au/pdf/td2008-018.pdf

Old Jun 25th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I travel for work and my employer pays all of my out-of-pocket expenses, but doesn't include this repayment as part of my payslip (i.e. I am not taxed on it). I am guessing then that this document doesn't apply to me - am I (sadly) right?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 1:38 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by James516
I travel for work and my employer pays all of my out-of-pocket expenses, but doesn't include this repayment as part of my payslip (i.e. I am not taxed on it). I am guessing then that this document doesn't apply to me - am I (sadly) right?
If there is a gap between what your employer pays you, and the max amount you are allowed to be paid, you can claim the gap. Have a read of the thread we linked to above.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to barge in on this one, but i could use some advice too.

I have just received my first PAYG slip.
What do i do with it ?
If i go to a tax accountant, what do i need to take with me.
We get LAFHA
We rent a house out in the UK

I want to make sure i have all the bases covered before i submit my tax return

Thanks

Stuart
Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
If your employer pays all your out-of-pocket expenses, then there is no cost to you - hence there is nothing for you to claim ...
Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Sorry to barge in on this one, but i could use some advice too.

I have just received my first PAYG slip.
What do i do with it ?
If i go to a tax accountant, what do i need to take with me.
We get LAFHA
We rent a house out in the UK
1. Wait to visit a tax accountant until you have received your PAYG Payment Summary (that's the equivalent of the P60 in the UK - it's a summary of everything your employer paid you and deducted from your pay for the year). The tax accountant can't do the tax return until you have the PAYG Payment Summary.

2. UK rented house: You say you get LAFHA, which means you must be here on a temp visa. If that's correct your UK income is not assessable, i.e. it gets ignored (but you also can't claim any expenses relating to it).

3. Details of any other Australian income you may have had, e.g. Australian bank interest (UK bamk intererst is ignored if you are here on a temp visa).

4. All your receipts re your expenses: This can be medical expenses (e.g. doctor's/dentist's visits, prescriptions, pharmacy-only items you bought at the chemist, glasses/contact lenses bought during the year). It can also be work-related expenses such as professional subscriptions, licence renewals, and - depending on what you do - a heap of other stuff.

5. If you have kids in school: receipts for items used for school (but not school fees and uniforms and trips), e.g. textbooks, stationery, computer, disks and USBs, internet costs.

Above isn't a complete list, but gives you an idea. You can't take too much to the tax agent ....

Chances are there is a heap of stuff you could claim, but you didn't know about it and haven't got the receipts. Bad news for this year (you can't claim), but goood news for next year (you'll better and keep receipts).

A good tax agent should educate you on what's relevant to your situation, so you know what to do during the next tax year.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I have a question. i am coming to Australia in September and doign some contracting for a UK based company. Now - I need ot buy a new PC to be able to handle all the software i need to run etc, my question is, if I buy it in the UK before I come (no offence but PC's are better and cheaper this side of the world) can I still claim it in my expenses as a trader under my own name in next years tax returns even though i bought it before i started trading in my own name?

Hope this makes sense.

Kind Regards

James
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by saxtonj
(no offence but PC's are better and cheaper this side of the world)
Maybe cheaper, but not sure about being better... after all, a lot of them are made in the same factories somewhere in Asia. When I was building them, both in UK and Australia, all components were the same.

Re the tax question, technically I am not sure, but in practice you can sell it to your business in A$ when you start your business here, and therefore claim it as an expense.

Old Jun 27th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Re the tax question, technically I am not sure, but in practice you can sell it to your business in A$ when you start your business here, and therefore claim it as an expense.
That will only work if he sets himself up as a company, not if he works as a sole trader.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
That will only work if he sets himself up as a company, not if he works as a sole trader.
Good point, so if his wife buys it, then sells it to him later ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.