Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Its started and i cant wait

Its started and i cant wait

Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its started and i cant wait

Not long to go now and the media are starting to ramp up, its going to be a great summer, great chance for an Ashes win in Australia

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/crick...ts=11#comments
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its started and i cant wait

Used to enjoy Test matches but since the (politically correct ) sub - continent
bookie scandal I am quite under whelmed by it all - might come round by the time it starts thou...
Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
Used to enjoy Test matches but since the (politically correct ) sub - continent
bookie scandal I am quite under whelmed by it all - might come round by the time it starts thou...
a politically correct bookie scandal, that must be a first

Australia will still be favorites but i think it should be a very even contest.

Already have tickets for Melbourne but am thinking of heading to either Adelaide or Sydney as well.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Always a very hard task for any touring side to win down in Australia, England haven't done it since 1986!

The problem is the wickets are usually fast and hard with little variation, Australia over the last 20 years have had the best pace bowlers and then Shane Warne who could get the ball to turn on a sheet of glass.

The most English wicket is probably the SCG where you can get the ball to swing a little and it takes a bit of spin on the last few days. England have had plenty of success at the SCG, but by the the Ashes are usually long gone. You can get the ball to move off the seam a little at the MCG as well but a VERY hard place to win a test.

Brisbane and Perth can be similar, usually good batting wickets where winning the toss if very important. England cannot afford to lose the first test in Brisbane if they are to be competitive.

Adelaide is probably the most unpredictable Ashes test venue for me this year and is the test that could be a very close one indeed.

As I see it

Brisbane - High scoring draw, no side making great in roads with the bowling

Adelaide - A very close England win

Perth - Easy Australia win

Melbourne - Australia win, but close.

Sydney - England win

Final result 2 - 2 and England retain the Ashes
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jon77
Always a very hard task for any touring side to win down in Australia, England haven't done it since 1986!

The problem is the wickets are usually fast and hard with little variation, Australia over the last 20 years have had the best pace bowlers and then Shane Warne who could get the ball to turn on a sheet of glass.

The most English wicket is probably the SCG where you can get the ball to swing a little and it takes a bit of spin on the last few days. England have had plenty of success at the SCG, but by the the Ashes are usually long gone. You can get the ball to move off the seam a little at the MCG as well but a VERY hard place to win a test.

Brisbane and Perth can be similar, usually good batting wickets where winning the toss if very important. England cannot afford to lose the first test in Brisbane if they are to be competitive.

Adelaide is probably the most unpredictable Ashes test venue for me this year and is the test that could be a very close one indeed.

As I see it

Brisbane - High scoring draw, no side making great in roads with the bowling

Adelaide - A very close England win

Perth - Easy Australia win

Melbourne - Australia win, but close.

Sydney - England win

Final result 2 - 2 and England retain the Ashes

I would take that, seems like a fair appraisal.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:26 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Even though this is our best chance in over 20 years I am doubtful we can win the series. Remember that it has taken some pretty amazing teams to beat Aus on home soil for a series win. Sth Africa did...and only just and that team was brilliant. India couldn't do it a few years ago and they had a very very good side that caused Aus a lot of problems. Admittedly, Aus are a bit weaker than they were then but we are going to be at our very best and even then I think it will not happen.

I don't see us winning at the Gabba (even though I have a 5 day pass) as Aus' record there is about as good as you can get, plus England are notoriously slow starters against them (Cardiff, Lords and all other previous Gabba games of the last 20 years). I do see us winning in Adelaide as we normally do well there, plus Swann should come into his own. Perth is a possibility for us, but I see that going to Aus as their seamers should do well. I do see us winning one of either the SCG or MCG tests though and I'm backing the SCG test. In short, if we win Perth then I think that will be the deciding factor for us.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Its started and i cant wait

England have only won the Ashes twice in the last 22 years () but there's a strong possibility that they'll win this one. Australia has been struggling recently, with most of the old guard long gone and the new boys still finding their feet.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
England have only won the Ashes twice in the last 22 years () but there's a strong possibility that they'll win this one. Australia has been struggling recently, with most of the old guard long gone and the new boys still finding their feet.
but that twice is 2 out of the last last 3
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Its started and i cant wait

Originally Posted by papilon
but that twice is 2 out of the last last 3
Yes, although Australia won more games in the second of those 3 than England did in their 2 combined.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Yes, although Australia won more games in the second of those 3 than England did in their 2 combined.
Ouch
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Just saw that Channel 9 will be showing all the cricket this summer on its new HD channel Gem, so hopefully no interruptions this time at crucial moments.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
South Africa did it - easily - 2 years ago, but then they are a much better side than England.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:43 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
South Africa did it - easily - 2 years ago, but then they are a much better side than England.
I wouldn't say they did it easily. Also, SA are not a smidgen of what they were 2 years ago, right now I would rate England better than SA. However, they are not as good now as SA were when they beat Aus
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I wouldn't say they did it easily. Also, SA are not a smidgen of what they were 2 years ago, right now I would rate England better than SA. However, they are not as good now as SA were when they beat Aus
Too many SA players in the England team. Shouldn't be that way.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:12 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
I reckon it was easy. The way they ran down that massive 2nd innings in Perth was incredible - I was there. It was a major turning point for Australia - it showed they were not invincible at home.

England are good at the moment and I reckon they have the edge on Australia - and as long as Ponting is captain will continue to do so. SA will hopefully go to No.1 if they win their upcoming series against Pakistan and India.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.