Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's a small world indeed!

It's a small world indeed!

Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:22 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default It's a small world indeed!

I had my mountain bike serviced today by this bloke and I thought, I know that accent.

"Where do you come from mate?" I asked.

"Nottingham".

"Mate, I was born there"

"Yeah... then we moved to a small village Nr Truro in Cornwall"

"No way, we're from Falmouth" I replied.

Chatting away....

"Oh, I have a daughter living in Helston not far from were you used to live"

"Oh yes, I know Helston very well, I used to work there"

"Her ex husband used to work there you see, his name is Gaz *****" he explained

"You're joking I used to work with him", I said.

"Yeah he worked at the same place as my best mate Ian *****".

I know this chap also.

How bizzare is that?

The bloke who serviced my bike lives about 5 miles away from us so it's round to his place for coffee and a chat soon.

Last edited by rossifumi; Jul 13th 2006 at 8:26 am. Reason: more easy on the eye font size
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's a small world indeed!

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I had my mountain bike serviced today by this bloke and I thought, I know that accent.

"Where do you come from mate?" I asked.

"Nottingham".

"Mate, I was born there"

"Yeah... then we moved to a small village Nr Truro in Cornwall"

"No way, we're from Falmouth" I replied.

Chatting away....

"Oh, I have a daughter living in Helston not far from were you used to live"

"Oh yes, I know Helston very well, I used to work there"

"Her ex husband used to work there you see, his name is Gaz *****" he explained

"You're joking I used to work with him", I said.

"Yeah he worked at the same place as my best mate Ian *****".

I know this chap also.

How bizzare is that?

The bloke who serviced my bike lives about 5 miles away from us so it's round to his place for coffee and a chat soon.
it certainly is - it's nearly spooky
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:28 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Spooky
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:31 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by loz
Spooky
Do you think he's stalking me. :scared:
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:34 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Do you think he's stalking me. :scared:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Jul 13th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

ummm indeed! I had a patient come in the other day, recognised the good old English accent so asked what part of uk he came from. "oh its a place you've never heard of" "try me" I replied "its a tiny island off Essex called West Mersea". I almost screamed at the poor guy! West Mersea is a beautiful island that I used to take my boys strawberry picking and kite flying, it was about 10 mins from where I used to live. I explained all this to him and then said "I used to work at Colchester A&E". "wow" he replied "my daughter Emma works there do you know her?" Not only do I know her, I trained with her, worked with her, we had kids the same time and pissed everyone off in the dept cos we had to take mat leave at the same time and shes now on my email list!

Other strange things that have happened.......

In 2004 when we lived at Vicky Point we used to come up as often as we could to Eumundi and Noosa as we just liked it. One weekend we were driving and got diverted due to a fatality on the Sunshine Hwy. We were in a little Hyundai Getz and had to go on an unsealed/gravel road. We skidded and lost control. Mark sorted us all out, a couple of people pulled over to make sure we were ok then we got going. Mark drove really slowly as we were all still shaken up. As we were driving I noticed how beautiful it was, I kept saying to Mark "I want to live here", it all just felt right. Never thought anything of it, didn't even realise where we were.

We move up here, not really knowing the area, intending for Eumundi. No houses available there in price range so decide to head further south. Find a house, move in then find the local route to take kids to school. locals point us to Doonan East Bridge rd as a 'short cut'. As we've driving down this gravel/unsealed rd we get a strange feeling of dejavu! Then we clicked...this was the rd in 2004 where we spun the car and I said I wanted to live! I now live a stones throw from it and drive it everyday to school/work. Its such a beautiful drive, seeing the roo's in the morning bouncing along beside me is so amazing. Some things are just obviously meant to be!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
ummm indeed! I had a patient come in the other day, recognised the good old English accent so asked what part of uk he came from. "oh its a place you've never heard of" "try me" I replied "its a tiny island off Essex called West Mersea". I almost screamed at the poor guy! West Mersea is a beautiful island that I used to take my boys strawberry picking and kite flying, it was about 10 mins from where I used to live. I explained all this to him and then said "I used to work at Colchester A&E". "wow" he replied "my daughter Emma works there do you know her?" Not only do I know her, I trained with her, worked with her, we had kids the same time and pissed everyone off in the dept cos we had to take mat leave at the same time and shes now on my email list!

Other strange things that have happened.......

In 2004 when we lived at Vicky Point we used to come up as often as we could to Eumundi and Noosa as we just liked it. One weekend we were driving and got diverted due to a fatality on the Sunshine Hwy. We were in a little Hyundai Getz and had to go on an unsealed/gravel road. We skidded and lost control. Mark sorted us all out, a couple of people pulled over to make sure we were ok then we got going. Mark drove really slowly as we were all still shaken up. As we were driving I noticed how beautiful it was, I kept saying to Mark "I want to live here", it all just felt right. Never thought anything of it, didn't even realise where we were.

We move up here, not really knowing the area, intending for Eumundi. No houses available there in price range so decide to head further south. Find a house, move in then find the local route to take kids to school. locals point us to Doonan East Bridge rd as a 'short cut'. As we've driving down this gravel/unsealed rd we get a strange feeling of dejavu! Then we clicked...this was the rd in 2004 where we spun the car and I said I wanted to live! I now live a stones throw from it and drive it everyday to school/work. Its such a beautiful drive, seeing the roo's in the morning bouncing along beside me is so amazing. Some things are just obviously meant to be!
Back in my youth...I used to buy designer clothes of the back of a lorry from a scouser down my local in England: "The Edinburgh"

Fast forward 2 years, sitting in the garden of a pub in Mitcham, Adelaide, I guy came up to me asking the time. I recognised that trustworthy Ccouse accent. It was the same bloke.

We were both so shocked....not so much by bumping into each other on the other side of the world...but more for the fact that this pub was also called 'The Edinburgh'!!! :scared:

How freaky is that??????? (He told me that he was selling dodgy clothing to save up for his airfare)
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Back in my youth...I used to buy designer clothes of the back of a lorry from a scouser down my local in England: "The Edinburgh"

Fast forward 2 years, sitting in the garden of a pub in Mitcham, Adelaide, I guy came up to me asking the time. I recognised that trustworthy Ccouse accent. It was the same bloke.

We were both so shocked....not so much by bumping into each other on the other side of the world...but more for the fact that this pub was also called 'The Edinburgh'!!! :scared:

How freaky is that??????? (He told me that he was selling dodgy clothing to save up for his airfare)

oooooooo.........
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:15 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: It's a small world indeed!

Aye - you can take the boy out of Liverpool but you can't................
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its a small world indeed.

When travelling India, I knew this dreadlocked guy Rob...met him at Kovalam on the south tip of India,....then bumped into him 2000 miles aways at Old Delhi train station 4 months later (he was bald by now...had his dreads cut off due to nits)....Now what are the chance of that in a country of over 1 billion?

Also kept on bumping into the same couple in Bangalore, Mysore, Coimbatore and Trivandrum...but I put that one down to there being a tourist trail.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes its a small world indeed.

When travelling India, I knew this dreadlocked guy Rob...met him at Kovalam on the south tip of India,....then bumped into him 2000 miles aways at Old Delhi train station 4 months later (he was bald by now...had his dreads cut off due to nits)....Now what are the chance of that in a country of over 1 billion?

Also kept on bumping into the same couple in Bangalore, Mysore, Coimbatore and Trivandrum...but I put that one down to there being a tourist trail.
its meant to mean something significant when you bump into someone twice in a short time span that you haven't seen in ages!

Last edited by glittababe; Jul 13th 2006 at 10:18 am. Reason: spelling and alcohol
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Aye - you can take the boy out of Liverpool but you can't................

So true...but what was strange was that both of these pubs weren't exactly tourist pubs in the center of cities...more like out in the sticks.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glittababe
its meant to mean something significant when you bump into someone twice in a short time span that you haven't seen in ages!

I think it usually means you're being folowed :scared:
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:22 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute

So true...but what was strange was that both of these pubs weren't exactly tourist pubs in the center of cities...more like out in the sticks.
That is Bizarre - did you get you money back for the dodgy clothes ? Get some free stuff and then tell him you'll pay him the next time your in the 'Edinburgh' he should be able to work out which one you mean......
Old Jul 13th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it usually means you're being folowed :scared:
don't mention stalking....I had the privilage of being stalked by a Hyundai dealer Tues! Went to choose new 4WD as Landrover kaput and we tell the guy we need to think about it! Next thing we know is he's followed us home and is sitting in our living room trying to sell us the car! 6 hours later (yes thats right SIX) there's him, the boss, and the mechanic at our place. They were there so long they ordered in a chinky! I'd had enough so I abandoned hubby and went round friends for a glass of wine and some much needed comfort. I wouldn't have minded but they didn't need to do the hard sell. We were intending to buy the car, we just had to go as we`had to get the kids from school!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.