British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   It's raining cats and dogs! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/its-raining-cats-dogs-501877/)

Vegemite Dec 27th 2007 11:53 am

It's raining cats and dogs!

Well,

It hasn't really stopped raining since Christmas day here! The low is roughly off the coast of Mackay. Seas are up to 3 metres and gale force winds expected. The rain is beautiful. Let's wait and see what this potential cyclone will get up to. Hopefully I'll be swimming in the front yard like I used to when I was a kid! It's very exciting to get a decent wet season once again! Hopefully the low brings more rain up and down the coast.

Need to vent:

Interestingly enough, and typically enough too, the state news reported this evening how the low was affecting Fraser Island campers and how the side effects of the low are expected to impact on South East Queensland, even though Fraser Island is about 700km from where the actual low is positioned!! NEVER MIND REPORTING ON NORTH QUEENSLAND OR CENTRAL QUEENSLAND, WHERE THE LOW ACTUALLY IS and is having the most impact upon right now! Of course everyone up here wants to know how the campers on a bloody island 700kms away are doing, and how Gold Coast surfers 1100 kms away will be excited in a couple of days time. Meanwhile my house is getting blasted by falling tree limbs, but I'm so relieved about those surfers not having to go to the movies this weekend. GRRRR!!! Sorry, but that REALLY irritates me. There is a world outside of SEQ so it's about time it gets reflected in the state wide news!!!

Must go and enjoy the sound of the rain on the roof.

Veg.

moneypenny20 Dec 27th 2007 12:07 pm

Re: It's raining cats and dogs!

Oooh, handbags :p:rofl: If you will live somewhere no one knows about ;)

Never fear, if all hell breaks loose up there, you'll have the breakfast tv people up there and Sandra Sully will be all over you:D

Hope it doesn't get any worse for you.

Pollyana Dec 27th 2007 12:21 pm

Re: It's raining cats and dogs!

Originally Posted by Vegemite (Post 5708620)
Well,

It hasn't really stopped raining since Christmas day here! The low is roughly off the coast of Mackay. Seas are up to 3 metres and gale force winds expected. The rain is beautiful. Let's wait and see what this potential cyclone will get up to. Hopefully I'll be swimming in the front yard like I used to when I was a kid! It's very exciting to get a decent wet season once again! Hopefully the low brings more rain up and down the coast.

Need to vent:

Interestingly enough, and typically enough too, the state news reported this evening how the low was affecting Fraser Island campers and how the side effects of the low are expected to impact on South East Queensland, even though Fraser Island is about 700km from where the actual low is positioned!! NEVER MIND REPORTING ON NORTH QUEENSLAND OR CENTRAL QUEENSLAND, WHERE THE LOW ACTUALLY IS and is having the most impact upon right now! Of course everyone up here wants to know how the campers on a bloody island 700kms away are doing, and how Gold Coast surfers 1100 kms away will be excited in a couple of days time. Meanwhile my house is getting blasted by falling tree limbs, but I'm so relieved about those surfers not having to go to the movies this weekend. GRRRR!!! Sorry, but that REALLY irritates me. There is a world outside of SEQ so it's about time it gets reflected in the state wide news!!!

Must go and enjoy the sound of the rain on the roof.

Veg.

Actually a lot of what is impacting on the Central Coast at present is from the pressure system and trough which has been affecting the Mackay area, and much further up through Innisfail and Tully for a few days. The low which is deepening in the Coral Sea, and which is currently predicted to cause a huge swell and maybe coastal inundation along Fraser and the other islands, extending down to the Gold Coast, isn't really affecting the coast too badly yet, and isn't predicted to have that great an effect to the northern half of the coast. The low that they are going on about in the news (the Coral Sea one) only started forming yesterday, that's when the Bueau first flagged it as an issue.

All ultimately linked of course, but you're almost certainly feeling the effects of the existing system at present, not the new one.

A lot of the media attention is also aimed at protecting people. Surfers need to know that these waves are going to be dangerous, and there is a severe risk of inundation in the islands, hence the warnings. The latest warning has the low about 550km NE of Gladstone tomorrow morning, and moving down, paralleling the coast, that's when it'll start to affect the beaches and coastline.

Anyone else up there and in a worse predicament - call 132 500 Statewide for the SES :)

(edited to add, I really don't want to sound like an expert but I've been living and breathing these weather systems for 3 days now and with updates every couple of hours all through the night its kind of stuck in my brain :eek: