Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's a question of personality!!!

It's a question of personality!!!

Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default It's a question of personality!!!

I've been here for 2 years and have met many people in the meantime..

It seems those who depend on only family, never make it but those who have minds of their own and are independant, will be fine!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all
Default Re: It's a question of personality!!!

hi t, yes we had no family out in oz and now that we're home and have them we dont really want them!!!! we find sometimes their a bit of an invasion on us, spoiled buggers arnt we! but we certainly didnt come back to uk really for family and friends, we are eachothers best friend and when we were there we austed our life so that we still could go to the pub etc with the kids, just drank a ,lot more during the day!!! but all was good, and even when our family did come out to visit they still made the same faces when you ask them to babysit as they do now that we're back. but yeah i do agree we dont need anyone here so for us in oz was no big culture shock in that department!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:28 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by talbot

It seems those who depend on only family, never make it but those who have minds of their own and are independant, will be fine!
I've noticed that too.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

its quite funny because when we wre in oz, (and just before leaving) there were tears and constant promises about and i quote; oh when you do come back we're taking the kids off your hands every weekend and maybe the odd night in the week!!!! i probably can count on one hand how many times since nov, so still waiting,, anyway decided we are going back to oz now anyway so they havnt got much time left now, well 2.5 years anyway, but if the last 5 months is anything to go by.........
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Sorry I have to disagree,, we are not close to family (either side) didnt see them in UK or in OZ, we didnt come back to the UK for family reasons really, so reasons for returning are very idividual! We feel we are very independant and have our own minds

Bluekipper
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

hey there bk, hows your plans going?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think I have to disagree too. Most of my family have immigrated from UK over the last 40 years or so (and still arriving!) and so far none have gone back. Well I did but that was work related and always intended to come back to Aus and have.

I guess every story is individual.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

what are you both disagreeing with? which part?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisaroo
what are you both disagreeing with? which part?
The OP's comment. After all it is a bit f generalisation however true.
When my nephew decided to immigrate 2 years ago (got here in Dec 07) my advise was do it for yourselves, not family, and so far so good.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

oh yeah, i agree with that, idont believe it matters if you have family there or not, its all induvidual cases really, op must have just gone on their own experiences!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

Hi Lisaroo,,,, no plans to return just yet, but hopefully early nxt year, got lots of stuff to get finished like daughters exams etc etc

but thanks for asking how about you?

Bluekipper
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

From what I see on the forums the majority who return is because of family reasons, this gives me hope. We have zero support from our family in the UK so hope it will be okay.

In fairness it must be hard to have parents helping out with kids, and a close family etc and then to be on your own on the otherside of the world.

I will prob see more of my family when Im in Oz - any excuse for a free holiday. Must remember to misprint the change of address notifications
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talbot

Nope, wrong for me. Hugely independent, definite mind of my own and my mind says that I loathe it here.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

I too have observed that lots of people return for what they sight as 'missing family reasons'. Much of this can depend on how intertwined the interaction is with family. For example if you see them lots this can leave a big gap in your life once your here without them. I'm also aware of some families have returned only to feel very let down once the honeymoon period is over and their families don't seem too bothered with them.

Much of someone's ability to cope with the migration process can be mind set, which once in a very negative state may be hard to change. This is where a sense of being supported by 'family' 'friends' and things like this forum come in. I am not minimizing this, nor has my family had an especially easy time (having faced lots of worry and challenges) but this is the one thing we are all able to change and sometimes we need help with this.

I have been very lucky in that whilst my mum misses us, she has managed to support our decision and continues to do so, I am well aware that this is not always the norm as my hubbies mother is extremely negative and 'whines' at him every time he calls her (so not much of that done then by him)

Just my thoughts

T