Its over

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Its over

i have decided to come over for a visit to perth end of October, but to be honest it is looking like i am going to give up all plans to migrate. My self and husband have good career prospects in Uk, well paid jobs and security. From what i have heard on here and my own research, i am having serious doubts. If it was just me and hubby i would definatley take the risk, but i would be taking 3 children and leaving 2 behind. I am 39 soon hubby 42, we are at a time in our life (and the childrens) that we need security. Feeling blue at the momment, especially as i have sold my house and on saturday i am moving into a very expensive rented house.

ellen1
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:30 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its over

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
i have decided to come over for a visit to perth end of October, but to be honest it is looking like i am going to give up all plans to migrate. My self and husband have good career prospects in Uk, well paid jobs and security. From what i have heard on here and my own research, i am having serious doubts. If it was just me and hubby i would definatley take the risk, but i would be taking 3 children and leaving 2 behind. I am 39 soon hubby 42, we are at a time in our life (and the childrens) that we need security. Feeling blue at the momment, especially as i have sold my house and on saturday i am moving into a very expensive rented house.

ellen1

Sorry to hear that Ellen.........whatever decision you make....its a hard one, good luck with your future..
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Ellen you must feel really down. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:38 am
WBB

it must be a tough decision to make, good luck whatever you decide to do.

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that Ellen

Perhaps your visit may make things a little clearer for you. Perhaps job prospects would be easier for you in another part of Aus. Have you considered Melbourne or Sydney?

Here's hoping that things work out whatever you decide.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think you are making a wise decision. Although it can be done, finding work as you get older gets harder, doing it in another country harder still. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

ellen1
Hope I'm not too bold to suggest that, at your age, if you do not land better jobs with better security in Australia within a few months after your visit to Australia then you should consider that you have made a well considered decision not to emigrate.

If you do not emigrate, then save lots of dough for your retirement and a great holiday in Australia some time later?
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 9:54 am
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

ellen1

Ellen
You have gone so far. It is obviously your decision, but why dont you just complete the process, validate your VISA and see if things pan out here.
You have very little to lose do you!!

I am convinced that a few negative people on this site are responsible for most of the negative posts, Give yourself a chance to see for yourself what is available.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:03 am
owieb

Originally posted by ADELAIDE BOUND
I am convinced that a few negative people on this site are responsible for most of the negative posts
So you're saying that there is nothing negative about living in Australia?

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have decided to come over for a visit to perth end of October, but to be honest it is looking like i am going to give up all plans to migrate.
ellen1

Hi Ellen its Donna,

There is employment in Child Protection for social workers without AASW recognised qualifications take a look at http://www.communitydevelopment.wa.gov.au/, a few monthas ago they had 24 posts advertised and have recently readvertised 8 of them.

As you are aware I have experienced some difficulty in getting through the door, and I am unwilling to throw myself on their mercy and beg for work. We are luckly that we don't have a family to support or the need to work would be huge.

I had already accepted that I would not be able to further my career when I moved and so far that has been the case. There is also work via the Salvation Army they have jobs in Victoria at the moment being advertised. Let me know if you want the link or do you can complete a search on google.

I hadn't realised your Visa had come through already, hopefully the weather will be better for your visit at the end of October, just in time for the flies.

For what its worth I believe everything happens for a reason, maybe the house sale frees you up to consider other areas in UK or Europe, I used to work with a woman who worked for 6-9 months in UK and then went off to Italy to renovate a house she had bought there for the rest of the year Sounds good to me. I wish you the very best of luck with everything.

Donna
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Ellen, try not to make any definate decisions until you have been out to Australia and done your research.
We all go through terrible emotional nightmares through this process, and I am sure that others like myself, still have our doubts for one reason or another right up to getting on that plane.
At the moment, you are going through the hell and the turmoil of a house sale. That alone can drive the sanest person over the edge.
You had your car stolen the other week.
You then have your children to consider. They can be a pain under normal daily conditions. Kids change their minds every 5 minutes.
You have been under a great deal of stress, and it doesn't help when you start getting the threads on here that are so snotty and negative. It does pull you down when you are at your lowest.
When you are feeling like this, you are best not to read them. I don't anymore, not unless I am in a fiesty fighting mood, or can't give a s**t mood.
My advise - Go to Australia with your daughter in October. Do as much research as you can. Apply for your Visas and then decide.

Have you managed to find out much about work over the internet, or have you got to wait till you go over there?

Keep your chin up Ellen. Don't do something you might regret later on. Have your holiday, and take each day as it comes.
See you in Perth.

Whisky
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by whisky
Ellen, try not to make any definate decisions until you have been out to Australia and done your research.
We all go through terrible emotional nightmares through this process, and I am sure that others like myself, still have our doubts for one reason or another right up to getting on that plane.
At the moment, you are going through the hell and the turmoil of a house sale. That alone can drive the sanest person over the edge.
You had your car stolen the other week.
You then have your children to consider. They can be a pain under normal daily conditions. Kids change their minds every 5 minutes.
You have been under a great deal of stress, and it doesn't help when you start getting the threads on here that are so snotty and negative. It does pull you down when you are at your lowest.
When you are feeling like this, you are best not to read them. I don't anymore, not unless I am in a fiesty fighting mood, or can't give a s**t mood.
My advise - Go to Australia with your daughter in October. Do as much research as you can. Apply for your Visas and then decide.

Have you managed to find out much about work over the internet, or have you got to wait till you go over there?

Keep your chin up Ellen. Don't do something you might regret later on. Have your holiday, and take each day as it comes.
See you in Perth.

Whisky
Very sound advice. It is far too early to make the decision. Buying/Selling a house is one of lifes most stressful moments.

Good luck and hope the emotional rollercoaster steadies out for a while.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

very sorry to hear you are down.... I truly hope you have made the correct decision and I wish you happiness now and in the future..

cheers booboo
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

For all those who do find out that taking a job in a rural or remote area is a necessary step in the OZ job ladder it should be remembered that it may only be for a few years, its not usually for ever. (Donnas post My first job interview in OZ if you did not read it)

I dont know about Social Work, however with teaching having done the 3 years rural/remote service they get priority then to secure positions in areas like Cities or say Sunshine Coast where the demand for the jobs is huge.

Also if you have done a 3 year course in UK and OZ requires a 4 year degree surely you must get credits for all those years?

Anybody looking at Teaching, Police, Medicine, even banking should probably check with the State they intend going to to see if they have rural/remote service requirements, or if thats where the vacant positions are likely to be.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
For all those who do find out that taking a job in a rural or remote area is a necessary step in the OZ job ladder it should be remembered that it may only be for a few years, its not usually for ever. (Donnas post My first job interview in OZ if you did not read it)

I dont know about Social Work, however with teaching having done the 3 years rural/remote service they get priority then to secure positions in areas like Cities or say Sunshine Coast where the demand for the jobs is huge.

Also if you have done a 3 year course in UK and OZ requires a 4 year degree surely you must get credits for all those years?

Anybody looking at Teaching, Police, Medicine, even banking should probably check with the State they intend going to to see if they have rural/remote service requirements, or if thats where the vacant positions are likely to be.
NSW teaching requires a few years in the bush before they let you in somewhere you would want to live. Brother in law is going through the start of the process now. Disorganised mess is the message I am getting about the application process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.