Its over

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

:PARTY: Nice one Ellen &co.Enjoy the Bacardi
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Ellen - just want to add to what everyone has said, it is such a huge step and there are loads of pros and cons to every big desicion we make in life. Once you have been on holiday you will have a better idea of how you feel about things and hopefully whatever you decide you know you'll be making the right choice.

All the best
Diane
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:57 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

And to all the people scoffing at the idea of immigrating &/or not getting a job at 38 pfffffftttttttttt to you all,
I think you will find that the posts actually said - its harder to get a job at 38 or as an older person, it did not say its not possible, it didnt say it was easy it said harder.

The fact is the older you get the harder it is to find employment, not just for Australia but for any country. Had the maintenance guy here this week, 47 and he has been forced to work for himself because after being made redundant knowone wants to employ him.

At 39 my chances of securing work in IT either Australia or UK are greatly reduced because of my age, thats not negative, that is fact. Being in Perth greatly reduces due to the available positions, not negative but fact.

What would you prefer me to post, that at 39 in Perth I have my pick of jobs so if you are in IT get yourself over here.?

Or

Would it be better to post it as it is, so that someone thinking of coming out here in the IT field can re-think the plan maybe go east or because they are aware of the situation research which skills are most in demand and re-train and aquire the skills before getting here and therefore increasing there chances of work.

Is it better that Ellen is aware that getting work here might not be "as easy" as the UK or "as she had hoped" therefore arriving here better informed and better equipped to use the information to her advantage.

Or would you prefer the post to say loads of social work jobs here no problems and let her arrive "blind".
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 5:07 am
owieb

Originally posted by karawara88
I think you will find that the posts actually said - its harder to get a job at 38 or as an older person, it did not say its not possible, it didnt say it was easy it said harder.

The fact is the older you get the harder it is to find employment, not just for Australia but for any country. Had the maintenance guy here this week, 47 and he has been forced to work for himself because after being made redundant knowone wants to employ him.

At 39 my chances of securing work in IT either Australia or UK are greatly reduced because of my age, thats not negative, that is fact. Being in Perth greatly reduces due to the available positions, not negative but fact.

What would you prefer me to post, that at 39 in Perth I have my pick of jobs so if you are in IT get yourself over here.?

Or

Would it be better to post it as it is, so that someone thinking of coming out here in the IT field can re-think the plan maybe go east or because they are aware of the situation research which skills are most in demand and re-train and aquire the skills before getting here and therefore increasing there chances of work.

Is it better that Ellen is aware that getting work here might not be "as easy" as the UK or "as she had hoped" therefore arriving here better informed and better equipped to use the information to her advantage.

Or would you prefer the post to say loads of social work jobs here no problems and let her arrive "blind".
If people choose to ignore your posts or don't believe you're telling the truth then it's their loss!

However much you try and help and give advice for some it's going to fall on deaf ears!

But please keep posting, because I find it interesting to know how other people are getting on out here.

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 5:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Or

I hardly think that 38 is considered "old" in anyones book when it comes to employment unless you are starting out in a field or you want to work as a checkout chick in Coles or KFC. If someone was 50 then I might say that their age may be a disadvantage depending on their field of work of course! I know very little about the field of social work, but its obvious from Donna & Ellens posts (& others) that alot of the problem seems to be location ie Perth & the fact that the study that shes done isnt what is required for a specific job here in Australia.

As for your particular situation, your chances of obtaining work in IT in Australia are severely compromised by the fact that you are in Perth. There are many many more positions available in Melb & Sydney in IT than anywhere else. In fact Im sure people on this board that are in IT have posted that they have jobs! Not to say its easy to get a job, but they are available, most of the difficulty is in the amount of applicants, not a persons age I wouldnt think. Dagboy has a great job here in Brisbane, he turns 40 next year & I know damn well that if he, for whatever reason, lost his job there would be employers clambering over themselves to secure his services . He is extremely good at what he does, & is one of the top in his field. And Im not implying that you or anyone else is crap at their job, simply that as you said, he has a large skillset & his skills are very much in demand & hes exceptionally good. Ive seen many people on here pointing out the sort of things needed in the way of experience & qualifications & what to expect & that is exactly what is needed, but to simply say that someone will find it hard to get a job because they are *old* is a bit harsh IMO.

As for your last 2 scenarios, your comments here

are exactly what you should be posting, unfortunately a lot of the time from what I see, its not. Throw away one liners dont particularly help anyone to come to see a realistic view of a foreign country. If there are negatives people need to know the reasons & more detail than just "its bad". At least your second post in this thread addresses the details.

BTW, you werent the only person to make the comment about age, so my comment wasnt specifically directed just at you anyway.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

are exactly what you should be posting, unfortunately a lot of the time from what I see, its not. Throw away one liners dont particularly help anyone to come to see a realistic view of a foreign country.
Of course you wouldnt use a throw away one liner.

I dont consider 38 old but as I said it makes it harder to get a job, not hard. Harder in the context not as easy

I would agree that location is a big factor, I note your husband is Australian so guess he has a work history in Australia, is known in the industry has references etc.

Supposing I am the same age have the same qualfications, experience etc. All gained in UK. I get off the boat and apply for a position and I am up against your husband for the job. Who is going to get that job?

Same scenario except now I am up against guys of 25, 28, 30, 35 I have to be bloody good to get that job, its not impossible just a bit harder. I know people in IT here, I even got someone a top a few years back by blagging them an interview. So its not impossible. Personally I think if you want somthing bad enough you will go get it by any means possible.

Last edited by karawara88; Oct 3rd 2003 at 6:51 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 8:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE] I note your husband is Australian so guess he has a work history in Australia, is known in the industry has references etc.

Supposing I am the same age have the same qualfications, experience etc. All gained in UK. I get off the boat and apply for a position and I am up against your husband for the job. Who is going to get that job?

[QUOTE]

Sorry to but in on this really informative post, but is "Mrs dag boy" not married to a pom? Sorry but i'm a bit

But Donna and Chris, thanks for all the help.
Ellen, i hope that whatever you choose to do, you are happy, go get 'em!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry to but in on this really informative post, but is "Mrs dag boy" not married to a pom?
Thanks for that, my mistake, sun must be getting to me. Sorry Mrs Dagboy I had you married off to an Aussie. !!
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 10:51 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

No probs, thanx Heather, yeah hes the pom, Im the Aussie . Yes, age can make it slightly more difficult in some scenarios, I'll agree with that & in some cases it probably doesnt mean a thing. You win some, you lose some I guess, thats my philosophy anyway!

As for being up against him for a job, sorry, but you wouldnt stand a look in & neither would anyone else but that wouldnt be because you were straight off the boat . Yes, I am being facetious, but I am also extremely proud of him . He is exceptionally good at what he does & he gets recognition from his bosses & peers because of that fact. He got a transfer from the UK to Australia with the company he works for, so the lack of work thing was never an issue for us.

As for the one liners, I can make flippant comments with the best of them & I often do, but its rarely in response to someone that asks for ideas or info, its normally only when Im in smartarse mode .

Ellen, sorry for taking over your thread, next time just smack me :lecture:
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Chin up babe, I've been reading all the threads and whatever you decide, you'll know in your heart that it will be the best decision for you and your family.
I agree with the majority on here, do go to Oz with an open mind and I bet you'll wake up one morning and things will be a lot clearer. (unless you've been hitting the bacardi's again!)
The very best of luck
Tazzy
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:22 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Ellen - regret's a terrible thing, so I think you should bear in mind a lot of the (very useful) advice here, go over to Oz, look at it as rationally as you can and then reassess the situation. It's like the old ads for the Northern Territory go - 'you'll never ever know if you never ever go'...And nothing has to be forever so if you don't like it you'll always be able to come back.

Chin up and I hope you make the right decision for YOU.
Old Oct 3rd 2003, 11:27 am
tennisoz

Personally I think you are making a wise decision. Although it can be done, finding work as you get older gets harder, doing it in another country harder still. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Ellen

Good luck with whatever you do. I know partly how you feel - I came to the UK without a job, not quite your age but in my 30's and managed to find one in my area (teaching) without any trouble and haven't regretted the move. However, I did not have children, just a wife, so can understand your decision must be much more difficult. Again, best wishes and don't look back or have regrets with your decision. Perhaps you might consider it again at a more appropriate point in your life? I don't know what visa category you would be in so that might be an inappropriate comment. I haven't read more than a couple of posts yet so all this may have been mentioned.

TennisOz

Old Oct 3rd 2003, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

once again i would like to say a BIG thankyou to you all for your wonderful kind and supportive words.

I won't be be on line for a while after today, coz i move tommorow and the wonderful NTL can't reconnect me in my new house till the 15 of october!

but i will take your kind thoughts with me and hopefully when i am back on line (a week before i fly to oz for my trip!) i will be feeling a lot more positive (or not!)

cheers

ellen1