Its over

Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
NSW teaching requires a few years in the bush before they let you in somewhere you would want to live. Brother in law is going through the start of the process now. Disorganised mess is the message I am getting about the application process.
Qld teaching too, on here tonight 'talking' to my daughter (husbands daughter but I think of her as mine), she trained as a teacher here, got a remote positing in Bamaga!!!!!! Packed up and is now working in UK.

Banking surprised me, ANZ manager mates got transfered to Mount Isa, his poor wife literally had a nervous breakdown and they still did not get sent back.

Tough call, really really worth finding out about before you get here.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ellen, Sorry to hear that your mind is in turmoil; at least validate the visa, having come this far. Have a good look at Oz without the tourist veneer if possible, and I think Whisky has said everything else I would've said. At my lowest point I nearly backed out because of some of the posts on here - especially about work - but the only way you will know whether it will suit you is by going and having a look.

Take a deep breath and a few days away from us lot on here, and good luck with whatever decision you make.

Pollyana
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:01 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
Qld teaching too, on here tonight 'talking' to my daughter (husbands daughter but I think of her as mine), she trained as a teacher here, got a remote positing in Bamaga!!!!!! Packed up and is now working in UK.

Banking surprised me, ANZ manager mates got transfered to Mount Isa, his poor wife literally had a nervous breakdown and they still did not get sent back.

Tough call, really really worth finding out about before you get here.
Same system in SA.

Our teacher friend is currently doing her 2 year stint in Coober Pedy.

I reckon its good system though. Could certainly do with methods of getting teachers into less desirable schools over here.

Somthing worth noting is that private schools don't have this system, so it may be possible to get work inthe city this way. Problem is thats what everyone else wants to do too....
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am convinced that a few negative people on this site are responsible for most of the negative posts,
If a few negative posts put people off I doubt they were ready to go anyway.

Having read many of Ellens posts its obvious she knows what she wants and is also realistic. What seems to be continually overlooked on this forum are the variables.

Some people openly admit to taking a hell of lot of cash with them, enough to live mortgage free, for them life is going to be a lot easier. Some are well under the age of 40 and again life will be easier. Some dont have kids, some are in proffessions that are in demand in and they will walk into jobs. Some have Australian partners which again will make life a lot easier.

I have no idea of how Ellen is sorted financially but she has kids, is of an age where jobs are a little harder to come by and in a proffession that is hard to get into in Australia. Those things are bloody important and have to be taken into consideration. Its easy for those that have a few quid in the bank to say go for it.

Personally I had no career to lose and finished playing that game years ago, Donna could walk into a job in UK within a week, we have no kids, we have rental property at home, and enough money not to starve. So the risk we took is relativly small. Plus I am completly barking so that helps.

As nice as Australia is and as much as you want that dream, somtimes you have to be realistic and weigh up the risk. For some that risk is worth it for them and their family.

I wish Ellen and anyone making the move all the luck in the world. At least with all the negative posts on here you know the worse case scenario, which means you dont get any nasty surprises.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:24 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by karawara88
If a few negative posts put people off I doubt they were ready to go anyway.

Having read many of Ellens posts its obvious she knows what she wants and is also realistic. What seems to be continually overlooked on this forum are the variables.

Some people openly admit to taking a hell of lot of cash with them, enough to live mortgage free, for them life is going to be a lot easier. Some are well under the age of 40 and again life will be easier. Some dont have kids, some are in proffessions that are in demand in and they will walk into jobs. Some have Australian partners which again will make life a lot easier.

I have no idea of how Ellen is sorted financially but she has kids, is of an age where jobs are a little harder to come by and in a proffession that is hard to get into in Australia. Those things are bloody important and have to be taken into consideration. Its easy for those that have a few quid in the bank to say go for it.

Personally I had no career to lose and finished playing that game years ago, Donna could walk into a job in UK within a week, we have no kids, we have rental property at home, and enough money not to starve. So the risk we took is relativly small. Plus I am completly barking so that helps.

As nice as Australia is and as much as you want that dream, somtimes you have to be realistic and weigh up the risk. For some that risk is worth it for them and their family.

I wish Ellen and anyone making the move all the luck in the world. At least with all the negative posts on here you know the worse case scenario, which means you dont get any nasty surprises.
Well said...

I could'nt say for sure, as im not in the situation, but if I had kids and a good job here i don't think i would go. The risk you are putting both yourself and more importantly your kids under would be great.

Ellen. My opinion.

Go to Aus for the holiday, and have a GOOD look around. Check out the job situation. Think about what you might try to do if you were unable to get work in your field. Draw up a monster list of pros and cons, and try to wiegh everything up. What do your kids think? I am unsure of thier age, but they may have valuable input too.

Good luck.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Sorry Ellen to read you are having doubts , wouldnt have thought people on here would have got to a person like you , you have always been one to fire straight back . Just listen to what you want to hear and ignore the rest . we hear more negativity about the UK on here than about australia , that to can be upsetting as we like it in the UK and Australia . Surely its better to use the negative posts to your advantage , so when you make the move you can use it to your own advantage. From our point of view we mean no malice , but life is hard here make no mistake , same social promblems etc as at home as you are all well aware. Perhaps some just dont want to listen , fair enough , sure we where all the same , but god i wish i had taken a bit more advice on board , might have changed a few shit things that have happened to us , then again might not have . But hey hope it all goes well for you and your family whatever you decide
Joanne xx
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:48 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its over

Originally posted by owieb
So you're saying that there is nothing negative about living in Australia?

No that is not what Im saying.
We are all different. What may be my cup of tea, you may hate.

Some People writing posts on this forum may hate Australia for many different reasons.

Those very same reasons may be somebody else's dream of how they would like to live.

All I was trying to point out was that the same few names are continually cropping up with negative comments for just about everything.

I would listen to these comments more seriously if the same individuals also wrote about the good things as well.

There are other people who have commented that they love their lives in OZ and NZ. However they seem to be swept away by the few who are continually posting the negative posts.

I will make my decision after living there for a period of time. Nobody else will make that decision for me.

That was all I was putting across to Ellen because I can well understand how people can be brainwashed into thinking that they are heading for disaster.

To be honest this forum has some great uses. The most important reason for me is so that I can find out information on practical issues like Tax laws, Areas to live, Schools, Work, Good removal companys etc..

Opinions about perth, being the arse end of the world, I do not want to hear about.

People will go and find out for themselves if it is the case or not.

There was a post the other day about it being cloudy and dull in perth.

The comment straight after it was. Funny how there is a post about how dull the weather is today,when its been sunny for the last 3 months.

There was no post from the same person so say how nice the weather had been in those 3 months. I could not agree more with that observation.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jopaulss
Sorry Ellen to read you are having doubts , wouldnt have thought people on here would have got to a person like you , you have always been one to fire straight back . Just listen to what you want to hear and ignore the rest . we hear more negativity about the UK on here than about australia , that to can be upsetting as we like it in the UK and Australia . Surely its better to use the negative posts to your advantage , so when you make the move you can use it to your own advantage. From our point of view we mean no malice , but life is hard here make no mistake , same social promblems etc as at home as you are all well aware. Perhaps some just dont want to listen , fair enough , sure we where all the same , but god i wish i had taken a bit more advice on board , might have changed a few shit things that have happened to us , then again might not have . But hey hope it all goes well for you and your family whatever you decide
Joanne xx
Well said Joanne, validating the visa's is a must though it'd be a waste of time, effort and money if they didn't. I haven't been on this forum for a long time because of the negativity. Hey lifes what you make it and that's what counts out here.

Julie
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Oh Ellen, don't really know what to say you must be very sad.

Debs

This is for you
Attached Images  
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

just want to say thank you to you all for your honesty and support, especialy to Donna who has provided some good links (which i haven't got time to look at just yet). I will still visit in October and do my best to look at real possibilities job wise.
Just want to clarify that i haven't got visa yet, i am applying in Jan (139) so i supose i will still have time to do lots more research and enquiries. But at the moment i have definitley lost my "go for it attitude", but who knows what the next few months may bring.

Thanks again

ellen1
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Look forward to your holiday this month and research like mad when you get there. Only you can decide whether it is the place for your family though.

It is an emotional rollercoaster, but after you have visited you will know deep down if you think it will work or not. Hopefully then you willl be able to make the right decision.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ellen &family sorry to hear of your woes,I think as everyone else has said don't let the buggers get to you ,but in the end it has to be yours and your family,who know whats best.
I would get the visa validate them and sit on them it can do no harm.It was precisely because my "get up and go"had "got up and gone"in this country that I finally realised that I should have gone to Aus years ago.

As my wife is an Aussie I have been lucky in that respect.Unfortunatley I have no trade,no large amount of money,we have rented for 18 years so no house to sell.Some may call me irresponsible lots will I'm sure.But at 42 years old I still have enough brawn to get me through as that is all's I have ever done.I wll do my utmost to succeed for my wife and kids first and foremost,luckily all my kids are looking forward to their new life.

They are 17,16,14,10and8 by the way,dubiuos of course but ready for the challenge just the same.

We also intend to foster over there as we do here so we know how vital good social workers are so you will be a big loss to Aus.

One thing I am looking forward to is to be able to come back on this forum and tell the negative bums we have made a decent lives for ourselves not really rich or successful but comfotable I've
never chased the pound so the dollar won't make a difference.
(By the way you whinging poms I have not bought a lotto ticket in four years,one of you is bound to comment on chasing money).
Cheer up Ellen don't let 'em get to you all.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its over

Originally posted by ellen fedulow
i have decided to come over for a visit to perth end of October, but to be honest it is looking like i am going to give up all plans to migrate. My self and husband have good career prospects in Uk, well paid jobs and security. From what i have heard on here and my own research, i am having serious doubts. If it was just me and hubby i would definatley take the risk, but i would be taking 3 children and leaving 2 behind. I am 39 soon hubby 42, we are at a time in our life (and the childrens) that we need security. Feeling blue at the momment, especially as i have sold my house and on saturday i am moving into a very expensive rented house.

ellen1
Ellen life begins at 40, its all a state of mind, you'll feeling low at the moment, the whole process is a bloody nightmare, stress, not knowing what the hell your going to do at times. I bet nearly every member has had the moments of doubt and despair.
Take that holiday in Oz and go their with an open mind, breath the air, get the tee-shirt, and see it for yourselves. Is it purely security you seek or a change in lifestyle, what do you see in 10, 20 yrs time for you in the UK?
I've taken a rental(6mths) had to, forced into it really, couldn't organise things quick enough, and I know what you mean by paying out expensive rent, but see it as a "get your breath" stage
before you decide what to do.
What I've read of your post Ellen your've got....spirit, its not over yet for you, its not over until the fat lady sings
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

ellen fedulow is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you so much chris and get me outahere, you have refilled me with insperation! (i've had a few biccarddis so excuse the spellinG) i want this move so bad, i have come a long way over the last few years and i am bloody good at my job!

thank you!

ellen1
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:14 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ellen, dont wipe the idea because of the negative backlash. As everyone else has said, come to Australia & really look at what is available & what is possible realistically. You may decide that Perth isnt suitable, but perhaps somewhere else might be a whole lot better. Just because Dotty says you cant get a job except in Timbuktu doesnt make it so . And as she pointed out, a country posting doesnt mean Siberia for the rest of your life! So much depends on what your elusive *dream* really is. Different things are important to different people, only you truly know what you are looking for & will be happy with in life. And to all the people scoffing at the idea of immigrating &/or not getting a job at 38 pfffffftttttttttt to you all, Im the same age as Ellen & you can all stick your heads where the sun dont shine - & we all know that isnt Australia .

If you then decide that Oz isnt for you then at least you will have made an informed decision - one based on your OWN observations & not on someone elses warped or one sided view of life.

Good luck whatever you decide .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.