British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Its only just begun........family wanting to migrate to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/its-only-just-begun-family-wanting-migrate-australia-260984/)

heleng Oct 19th 2004 1:17 pm

Its only just begun........family wanting to migrate to Australia

Hello there, We are a family of 5 Mum Dad two teens and a 4 year old. I am a teacher and have today finished searching for all the paperwork needed for the qualification assessment. I would love to hear from any other families who have moved out to Australia, particularly interested in best places to live etc I hope to teach (science) my husband wants to work for the Australian equivelent of the Environment agency (measures river flow). How long is this thing gonna take?? as long as 18 months!!!! Any teachers out there wanting to share experiences with me would be great also. I hear alot of good things about WA would you agree :)

Go Banana's !! Oct 19th 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Its only just begun........family wanting to migrate to Australia

Originally Posted by heleng
Hello there, We are a family of 5 Mum Dad two teens and a 4 year old. I am a teacher and have today finished searching for all the paperwork needed for the qualification assessment. I would love to hear from any other families who have moved out to Australia, particularly interested in best places to live etc I hope to teach (science) my husband wants to work for the Australian equivelent of the Environment agency (measures river flow). How long is this thing gonna take?? as long as 18 months!!!! Any teachers out there wanting to share experiences wiht me would be great also. Thanks :)

Welcome to the forum.

Can't offer advice I'm affraid, just to tell you that our application from start to finish took 1 year. That included doing all the work for the AIM assessment. We actually lodged our full application July last year and were granted the visa in April this year and we are here!!!! We were Skilled Oz sponsored 138

It's a long old haul and can be painful, be prepared to stick at it. There are lots of peeps on here that have raelly been through the mill, but in the main it's worth it.

Good luck
Jill

DollyDaydream Oct 19th 2004 1:30 pm

Hello there, We are a family of 5 Mum Dad two teens and a 4 year old. I am a teacher and have today finished searching for all the paperwork needed for the qualification assessment. I would love to hear from any other families who have moved out to Australia, particularly interested in best places to live etc I hope to teach (science) my husband wants to work for the Australian equivelent of the Environment agency (measures river flow). How long is this thing gonna take?? as long as 18 months!!!! Any teachers out there wanting to share experiences wiht me would be great also. Thanks :)

Hi there heleng

A warm welcome to the forum.

You're probably not far off the timeline of 18 months - it's a torturous wait, but we hope worth it.

We're off to Melbourne next year. Chose Melbourne for its cosmopolitan style of life plus weather, unpredictable like the UK's! We did think Perth may have been a possibility, but don't think we'd stand the heat!

There's always someone on the site that can help and give you advice; they're a nice bunch!

D D

cresta57 Oct 19th 2004 1:35 pm

Hello there, We are a family of 5 Mum Dad two teens and a 4 year old. I am a teacher and have today finished searching for all the paperwork needed for the qualification assessment. I would love to hear from any other families who have moved out to Australia, particularly interested in best places to live etc I hope to teach (science) my husband wants to work for the Australian equivelent of the Environment agency (measures river flow). How long is this thing gonna take?? as long as 18 months!!!! Any teachers out there wanting to share experiences with me would be great also. I hear alot of good things about WA would you agree :)

Hi and welcome,
There's a few teachers lurking about on here and I'm sure We met a guy at the last Brissie meet who does the same job as your hubbies after, name eludes me at the moment sorry it will come back after more lubrication :beer: .
May pay you to stick the thread back at the top in another 8-10 hrs as most of Australia is sleeping now with the exception of us night owls :D

ali south Oct 19th 2004 1:43 pm

Hi
I am a teacher also, applied in Nov for my skills assesment, which was a negative response (long story). How long did you train to be a teacher, my qualfication was three years and that was the problem? Have you seen the thread 'Teachers a Word of Warning' ? Many of the comments scared the life out of me but I think the comment above to stick at it is true. You are lucky to be post July which means your application will be faster than mine. Our migration agent thinks we are looking at 12-14 months to hear. Are you using a migration agent, as it is definately recommended in my opinion? Good Luck
Tara

heleng Oct 19th 2004 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi
I am a teacher also, applied in Nov for my skills assesment, which was a negative response (long story). How long did you train to be a teacher, my qualfication was three years and that was the problem? Have you seen the thread 'Teachers a Word of Warning' ? Many of the comments scared the life out of me but I think the comment above to stick at it is true. You are lucky to be post July which means your application will be faster than mine. Our migration agent thinks we are looking at 12-14 months to hear. Are you using a migration agent, as it is definately recommended in my opinion? Good Luck
Tara

Tara, may I ask who your migration agent is??? how do they charge?? is it like the lawyers pay if you are successful :)

heleng Oct 19th 2004 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi
Tara

Thanks Tara, I too have heard of the teacher training bit, I got a degree and then did a years teacher training!! How did you get round it?

ali south Oct 19th 2004 6:25 pm

Tara, may I ask who your migration agent is??? how do they charge?? is it like the lawyers pay if you are successful :)

Hi
not like lawyers but they only take you on if they feel you will be successful, plus they have learnt from my case!
Go Matilda, really recommended.
Tara

ali south Oct 19th 2004 6:27 pm

Thanks Tara, I too have heard of the teacher training bit, I got a degree and then did a years teacher training!! How did you get round it?

If you have a 3 year degree then a PGCE I believe you are ok, I have a 3 year degree (B Ed) but applied as an education officer which is less points but with a bond and my sister who is resident I score enough points. I must say that we are not in yet so we still feel very insecure.
Tara

chr1sarter Oct 19th 2004 7:22 pm

HelenG,
Welcome. Hope you find the forum as useful as we all have. There are several teachers on this forum who post regulary and will hopefully try and guide you through. 3 year degree and PGCE OK as far as i know. Problem is with only 3 years totaly at uni. The harrdest part is gathering all the information required fo you skills assessment. I'm assuming you are applying as main applicant. It took us several months to get all records from Uni before we could apply. If you are applying, then you would be going down the Noosr assessment, which is like the TRA but quicker. Takes around 6 weeks to get approval. If you are successful, the you start like the rest of us, waiting.
If you search the forum on "teachers", you will find most of us that have posted, and then you can check our time lines.

If you need help, just ask. best of luck

owain Oct 19th 2004 7:33 pm

Hi Hope you can help me also, I'm looking for any useful info about areas to live in Adelaide, There's 4 of us, wife 2 boys 15 and 3years. Can you also let me know what the job market is for Butchers and Social Work Asst.
Hope to be in Adelaide by june 2005, DIMIA willing.

primrose Oct 19th 2004 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by owain
Hi Hope you can help me also, I'm looking for any useful info about areas to live in Adelaide, There's 4 of us, wife 2 boys 15 and 3years. Can you also let me know what the job market is for Butchers and Social Work Asst.

Try looking on
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

for all information on Adelaide

wombat42 Oct 19th 2004 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by owain

Most Australians use this web site when looking for work:
http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/
Click on the map of South Australia and look for jobs in your field.
Click the " Food, hospitality and Tourism " section to get Butchers positions.

bondipom Oct 19th 2004 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by wombat42
Most Australians use this web site when looking for work:
http://www.jobsearch.gov.au/

Or this one http://www.centrelink.gov.au/

chew Oct 20th 2004 2:43 am

Try this one,

http://www.careerone.com.au/

Industry=Trades and Services...Location=SA-Adelaide All.. Brings up local jobs
:beer: