Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's official, we are all being robbed blind here.

It's official, we are all being robbed blind here.

Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:23 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's official, we are all being robbed blind here.

On NBN tonight there was an investigation into overcharging in the shops here and it compared state against state and from memory it went something like this:-

Vic & SA 60%
WA & QLD 80%
NSW 85%
NT 93%
ACT 95%

These are the chances of something being scanned at the till higher priced than it was marked on the shelf. There was no distinction between who does it, they all do. Supermarkets, DIY shops, chemists the whole lot. The show advised they are all breaking the law by doing this and we were told to check your till receipt. Easier said than done if you have just done the weekly shop, you would have to remember every item!

This just confirmed what I knew already about this place, as I have never been over charged so much in all my life. Also NSW the state I picked was pretty bad with the ACT being worst (my next choice!)

From the figures given by the research a typical food shop in say SA with 100 items in the trolly will have more than half the items over priced!

Discuss......
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:26 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's official, we are all being robbed blind here.

Originally Posted by arkon
On NBN tonight there was an investigation into overcharging in the shops here and it compared state against state and from memory it went something like this:-

Vic & SA 60%
WA & QLD 80%
NSW 85%
NT 93%
ACT 95%

These are the chances of something being scanned at the till higher priced than it was marked on the shelf. There was no distinction between who does it, they all do. Supermarkets, DIY shops, chemists the whole lot. The show advised they are all breaking the law by doing this and we were told to check your till receipt. Easier said than done if you have just done the weekly shop, you would have to remember every item!

This just confirmed what I knew already about this place, as I have never been over charged so much in all my life. Also NSW the state I picked was pretty bad with the ACT being worst (my next choice!)

From the figures given by the research a typical food shop in say SA with 100 items in the trolly will have more than half the items over priced!

Discuss......
trolley has an 'e'.

Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Vic & SA 60%
WA & QLD 80%
NSW 85%
NT 93%
ACT 95%

Discuss......
Some friends of a friend recently visited OZ (Perth and Melbourne) and returned to the UK with disgust at how expensive they found things compared to the UK.
They were mistified as to how anyone can live here with poor wages and high cost of living...sad but true!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

So thats why my food shopping is so expensive!
I was under the impression it was cheaper to live here
"your having a laugh"
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:34 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
trolley has an 'e'.

Not according to the sites spell checker it ain't.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Not according to the sites spell checker it ain't.
I guess I prefer the English spelling.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:37 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Desire
So thats why my food shopping is so expensive!
I was under the impression it was cheaper to live here
"your having a laugh"
My food bill in the 2 years I've been here has gone up 200%. I was paying about $140 a week and now it's $280! That doesn't include the babies stuff as I normally get that elsewhere.

This week I'm goind to be really anal and take a pad and pen in with me. Seems like there are huge savings to be made just by checking the reciept, but do I just get a refund or do I take any over payment to the Oz OFT and get them fined? I think if maybe a few thousand of us did this it might soon fix itself. I'm getting good at dobbing in now.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:39 am
Account Closed

My food bill in the 2 years I've been here has gone up 200%. I was paying about $140 a week and now it's $280! That doesn't include the babies stuff as I normally get that elsewhere.

Time to start eating those alpacas. Do they roast well?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

In England I used to pay around 100 GBP for a weeks shopping. Here Ispend between $200 and $250 + a bit extra in the week for milk, bread, fresh veg etc. Not much difference for me.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

It's no bloody joke, gone past being funny.
I've not been so hard up for years (counting every cent )
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:39 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by iPom
Time to start eating those alpacas. Do they roast well?
No, and they don't even make good snags.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:39 am
careful what you wish 4

dougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud ofdougggy has much to be proud of

I guarantee that if you go to absolutly any tesco or sainsbury
in the uk today , you will find the 250ml bottles of shampoo
above the price for 100ml bottles of shampoo ..

this also applies for an awful lot of other products as well
but I promise you this is always true of shampoo and therfore
`must` be a deliberate corporate policy

Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:44 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

something being scanned at the till higher priced than it was marked on the shelf
If that happens in WA you are entitled to get the item for free - not a lot of people know that (as Michael Cain would say) you just need to spot them doing it and go to customer services.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Desire
It's no bloody joke, gone past being funny.
I've not been so hard up for years (counting every cent )
I know what you mean. It's not so much the cost that gets me down but the rate of increase in the time I've been here. Fuel and food have gone up so much it's beyond a joke. Even the cost of water has gone from 83c per kilo litre to 1.34 in just the last 18 months. my water bills are now regularly up over $500 a quarter. Also electricity has gone up wads too. Everything seemed ok when we first got here and my mind was still working at 2.5:1. Once you start earning Australian then it soon starts to add up.

Anyway as the thread title says it's not so much the cost but all the robbing that goes on top. Last week at the local market a woman added up the cost of some fruit wrong in her favour, when we told her it was wrong she didn't mind at all and behaved just like she had done it on purpose and was trying it on, she even said when caught "You wern't going to let me get away with it were you!"
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:47 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by dougggy
I guarantee that if you go to absolutly any tesco or sainsbury
in the uk today , you will find the 250ml bottles of shampoo
above the price for 100ml bottles of shampoo ..

this also applies for an awful lot of other products as well
but I promise you this is always true of shampoo and therfore
`must` be a deliberate corporate policy

Nothing to do with them being on shelves one above the other then?
I should say I was back in the UK last year and I never got short changed or over charged in Tesco. I know this sort of thing happens in the UK but for me it was so rare it must have been an accident when it happens. Here by contrast it happens so often it must be deliberate, what other reason can it be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.