Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's official... I'm an idiot!

It's official... I'm an idiot!

Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:10 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default It's official... I'm an idiot!

So my husband has a job interview today on the phone, only I screwed up the time for him so I have to wake him up in a couple of hours and surpise him

So here's the story. The company had emailed him on Monday to try and set up a time for Thursday or Friday. So we get get the email a few days later because we were out of town, but we reply with the dates and times he is available.

So being the researcher that I am, I had already prepared a little time chart about two weeks ago that had his available times all ready to go. This is of course what we used when we told them what times would work for him for the interview.

But unfortunatley I did this chart up just before the time change. Our time went back an hour and there's went ahead an hour. So instead of his meeting being at 4pm our time it is at 2pm our time. He's working nights right now so I'm going to have to wake him 2 hours earlier and tell him he's got the interview right away. He's going to be really mad, and rightfully so I'm afraid.

So I'm afraid he'll be doing the job interview after working a 13 hour night shift and getting almost 5 hours of sleep.

Oh well... whatever happens, happens.

Haley

Last edited by comet555; Nov 9th 2006 at 6:26 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:25 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's official... I'm an idiot!

Originally Posted by comet555
So my husband has a job interview today on the phone, only I screwed up the time for him so I have to wake him up in a couple of hours and surpise him

So here's the story. The company had emailed him on Monday to try and set up a time for Thursday or Friday. So we get get the email a few days later because we were out of town, but we reply with the dates and times he is available.

So being the researching that I am, I had already prepared a little time chart about two weeks ago that had his available times all ready to go. This is of course what we used when we told them what times would work for him for the interview.

But unfortunatley I did this chart up just before the time change. Our time went back an hour and there's went ahead an hour. So instead of his meeting being at 4pm our time it is at 2pm our time. He's working nights right now so I'm going to have to wake him 2 hours earlier and tell him he's got the interview right away. He's going to be really mad, and rightfully so I'm afraid.

So I'm afraid he'll be doing the job interview after working a 13 hour night shift and getting almost 5 hours of sleep.

Oh well... whatever happens, happens.

Haley
Hayley if you dont mind me saying hes lucky hes got a lady like you looking after him...we are not all so lucky.

if he moans,the next time he asks you to wake him up.do it with a bucket of water..

hope all goes well with the interview.

Aston
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:29 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Aston,

Yah... I'm sure he appreciates all the work I've done, because he certainly doesn't have the time to do any of it himself. I sure hope he feels that way when I wake him up early!!

Oh well... in the end it's only one day, I'm sure he'll be pretty tired though. I just hope he does all right in the interview because this is exactly the job he wants.

I'll update afterwards to let everyone know how it went.

Haley
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:42 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Aston,

Yah... I'm sure he appreciates all the work I've done, because he certainly doesn't have the time to do any of it himself. I sure hope he feels that way when I wake him up early!!

Oh well... in the end it's only one day, I'm sure he'll be pretty tired though. I just hope he does all right in the interview because this is exactly the job he wants.

Haley
Hi there Hayley.

You sound just like my wife. She is my personal secretary when it coes to appointements. I am sure he wont worry too much about getting too little sleep if its a job he really wants.

I work unsociable hours as well, and just make sure he has enough time to wake up properly, all will go well.

Wish him good luck with the interview, and keep up the good work.

Paul.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:42 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Aston,

Haley
if thats the case hayley it might pay to wake him up a little earlier ,have him a cup of coffee ready ,get him straight in the shower so hes fully awake by the time they ring,hell be o.k..

good luck ..

aston
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:45 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Thanks so much for the replies, I'm feeling a little better now. Not panicking quite so much

Yah... I'm thinking about waking him maybe 20 minutes early so he has time to digest my screw up and to fully wake up. I think that should be enough time.

On the bright side even if the interview takes a full hour he will still have a full two hours before he has to leave for work. So he should have time for a 1-1.5 hour nap if he wants.

I'm just patiently watching the clock until I have to go give him the news :|

Haley
Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:46 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the replies, I'm feeling a little better now. Not panicking quite so much

Yah... I'm thinking about waking him maybe 20 minutes early so he has time to digest my screw up and to fully wake up. I think that should be enough time.

On the bright side even if the interview takes a full hour he will still have a full two hours before he has to leave for work. So he should have time for a 1-1.5 hour nap if he wants.

I'm just patiently watching the clock until I have to go give him the news :|

Haley

Don't worry, we did the same thing two weeks ago!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:01 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by busterboy
Don't worry, we did the same thing two weeks ago!
I'm sorry it happened to you too, but man am I glad we're not the only ones!

It really never occured to me that the time change might change the conversion. I mean within Canada and the states everyone shifts at the same time so my family has always been exactly 2 hours ahead.

I guess the difference is the seasons, we went back and they went forward.

Haley

Last edited by comet555; Nov 9th 2006 at 7:25 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Time difference caught my wife yesterday. Teleconference due to start at 6pm. At 5.10pm (Queensland time) call came in from NSW, "where are you?"

It happens : )
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CHnJ
Time difference caught my wife yesterday. Teleconference due to start at 6pm. At 5.10pm (Queensland time) call came in from NSW, "where are you?"

It happens : )
hey i was onl thinking yesterday,dont you think it would be great if we had a world clock at the top of the forum????make thing easy wouldnt it
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
hey i was onl thinking yesterday,dont you think it would be great if we had a world clock at the top of the forum????make thing easy wouldnt it
have you used this site?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:37 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Wake him up early and offer him sex, should get him up and perky pretty quick!!!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:12 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Wake him up early and offer him sex, should get him up and perky pretty quick!!!
Good idea, although it may have been more of a spectator sport with the two kids running around!

So just an update... the interview went ok. It was basically just a 30 minute quick get to know you interview. They were really impressed that he was acutally going to get his own visa. Apparently they had a pile of international applications without visas and I don't think any of them got an interview. So good for us. They said they would contact him in about 2 week to let him know if he has another interview. The next one would be a videoconferance interview though.

They mentioned relocation benefits all on their own. They said that the following would be taken care of by the company (or the firm they hire to do it):

-sea freight for shipping contents of house
-air freight for shipping things that we would need right away
-6 weeks accommadation
-there would be someone to show us around when we arrived, and to intruduce us to other new immigrants

There was no mention of airfare but I think that is generally included with packages like this. And if it isn't I certainly would not complain!

So we'll be pretty anxious the next couple of weeks around here, waiting for the job and the visa to come in.

Haley
Old Nov 10th 2006, 9:58 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea, although it may have been more of a spectator sport with the two kids running around!

So just an update... the interview went ok. It was basically just a 30 minute quick get to know you interview. They were really impressed that he was acutally going to get his own visa. Apparently they had a pile of international applications without visas and I don't think any of them got an interview. So good for us. They said they would contact him in about 2 week to let him know if he has another interview. The next one would be a videoconferance interview though.

They mentioned relocation benefits all on their own. They said that the following would be taken care of by the company (or the firm they hire to do it):

-sea freight for shipping contents of house
-air freight for shipping things that we would need right away
-6 weeks accommadation
-there would be someone to show us around when we arrived, and to intruduce us to other new immigrants

There was no mention of airfare but I think that is generally included with packages like this. And if it isn't I certainly would not complain!

So we'll be pretty anxious the next couple of weeks around here, waiting for the job and the visa to come in.

Haley
Sounds very good indeed, best of luck.