Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's official - I'm going to be an Aussie!

It's official - I'm going to be an Aussie!

Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Smile It's official - I'm going to be an Aussie!

Haven't posted for ages, still some of the "old faces" around I see!

Having passed our two-year mark back in July, we filled in the forms for citizenship and it all went through smoothly. We requested our forms using the online order form. Only hubby and I had to pay for our applications, there is no charge for kids (thankfully, we have three). We had to attend an interview, but this turned out to be no more than the manager at the post office double-checking our details and making sure we were who we said we were. Not really an interview at all, and it was done over-the-counter which seemed not very private, considering all the personal details you have to discuss.

Since filling out our forms we have moved house and were invited to the ceremony taking place in our new shire. That's miles away (we live in Mandurah but come under the Murray Shire) but it only took a couple of phone calls and they changed it for us to the place of our choice. We have lived in Mandurah so long we didn't want to go anywhere else for our ceremony, but the people in immigration and at the council offices couldn't have been more helpful.

So we will be pledging our oaths to Australia on January 26th in the Australia Day celebrations at the Mandurah Foreshore, along with any other people also becoming Citizens. I think it all happens quite early though, with a breakfast to follow. Feel free to come along and watch! Any other folks out there who are also becoming citizens on this day (Mandurah or elsewhere)?

I have got our Australian Passport forms all ready to fill out. Once we officially become citizens, our Permanent Residency visas are cancelled, so it's important (especially for hubby's business trips) that we get new passports sorted out.

All that remains now is for me to learn the words to the National Anthem! The kids have to sing it in school assemblies so they've had plenty of practise, but I can never get passed the first two lines.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 8:54 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: It's official - I'm going to be an Aussie!

Originally Posted by Jacqui

Having passed our two-year mark back in July, we filled in the forms for citizenship and it all went through smoothly.
Congratulations, Jacqui & family.

In about 18 months time I guess I will be making a similar post!

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:06 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations Jacqui
Hope it all goes well and you don't fluff the words.
I have them on my computer too and should be learning them too.....but will probably have another year yet before we do it.....

we have been here almost 16 months and its flown
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:28 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Jacqui

Having passed our two-year mark back in July, we filled in the forms for citizenship and it all went through smoothly. We requested our forms using the online order form. Only hubby and I had to pay for our applications, there is no charge for kids (thankfully, we have three). We had to attend an interview, but this turned out to be no more than the manager at the post office double-checking our details and making sure we were who we said we were. Not really an interview at all, and it was done over-the-counter which seemed not very private, considering all the personal details you have to discuss.

Since filling out our forms we have moved house and were invited to the ceremony taking place in our new shire. That's miles away (we live in Mandurah but come under the Murray Shire) but it only took a couple of phone calls and they changed it for us to the place of our choice. We have lived in Mandurah so long we didn't want to go anywhere else for our ceremony, but the people in immigration and at the council offices couldn't have been more helpful.

So we will be pledging our oaths to Australia on January 26th in the Australia Day celebrations at the Mandurah Foreshore, along with any other people also becoming Citizens. I think it all happens quite early though, with a breakfast to follow. Feel free to come along and watch! Any other folks out there who are also becoming citizens on this day (Mandurah or elsewhere)?

I have got our Australian Passport forms all ready to fill out. Once we officially become citizens, our Permanent Residency visas are cancelled, so it's important (especially for hubby's business trips) that we get new passports sorted out.

All that remains now is for me to learn the words to the National Anthem! The kids have to sing it in school assemblies so they've had plenty of practise, but I can never get passed the first two lines.
I dont know you, but I am so pleased reading this post. You must be proud as hell.

Congratulations. I think you are a prime example of what my husband and I are aiming for.

Have a fantastic day.

Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:36 am
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

give it another 5 years and Ill be posting the same
Old Jan 7th 2005, 9:41 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I should apply for citizenship to but my UK passport ran out a couple of years ago.
Not sure if I need to re new it or not before applying.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

When I did my cermony to become and Aussie, I'm not sure if they didn't give me a piece of paper with it on or did I just mime (I can't remember )
Just as a matter of interest will you think of yourself as an Australian or British ie if someone asked would you say you were Australian or British?
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Congratluations Jaqui - we had intended to try and "do it" on Australia Day too but I didn't get my arse into gear. I'm glad to hear there was not much to the interview cos that was stressing me out a bit.
Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:20 am
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by Mercedes
When I did my cermony to become and Aussie, I'm not sure if they didn't give me a piece of paper with it on or did I just mime (I can't remember )
Just as a matter of interest will you think of yourself as an Australian or British ie if someone asked would you say you were Australian or British?

Thats a good point!

Old Jan 7th 2005, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya jacqui

congratulations for Australia day!! Gareth has finally put his papers in too, but we've not heard back yet, so don't think he'll be joining you for Australia day ceremony.

Sorry I haven't had chance to reply to your email...in fact, I'll go do it now!!

love sophia xxx
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:15 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

CONGRATULATIONS Jacqui and all!!

Australians may get to sing about being young and free, but you have to keep a straight face when you do the "girt by sea" bit, now THATS gonna be the hardest bit of the day for me (maybe for you too now i've made you think of it )

Good luck and enjoy
Old Jan 7th 2005, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

sss1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many Congratulations.

SS
Old Jan 7th 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Same here diane we filled out our forms back in october and havent got around to handing them in as yet so we wont be doing the australian day ceremony either
Joanne
Old Jan 7th 2005, 4:09 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Hi Mercedes

I have to say I am very proud and very fortunate to be both, mind if England or GB can stuff the Ozzies at any kind of sport I am the ultimate POM!!!! (Just kidding).

I also know both National Anthems and will sing either (Or both) at any event! Took a little while with the Australia one, had the words at home and practised for my ceremony. They do give you sheets on the day though.

Merlot

Old Jan 7th 2005, 10:04 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

In order to qualify for citizenship it is imperitive that you can't sing the national anthem beyond the first two lines.
To qualify, you must also be able to drink cold beer, possess a stubbie holder,an esky and for the blokes out there, to posess enough hair gel to give you that 'just got out of bed look'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.