Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's not getting cheaper in Perth

It's not getting cheaper in Perth

Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default It's not getting cheaper in Perth

in the West Australian today:

Soaring Perth grocery prices put pinch on families
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...h-on-families/

Came here almost 13 years ago, everything was cheap like chips compare to the UK, now it's the reverse.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:27 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: It's not getting cheaper in Perth

Its not that bad....
Quote from the report:

Perth has the cheapest canned baked beans....

Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Its not that bad....
Quote from the report:

Great, I haven't bought a can of baked beans in 10 years! Who the hell eats baked beans!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:32 pm
ABCDiamond

I did hear that WA was still exploring for gas ?

Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Great, I haven't bought a can of baked beans in 10 years! Who the hell eats baked beans!
I do! I love the small tins, perfect on night shift, I eat them cold, straight out of the tin, as my 3am snack!!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

We do . We eat them every day.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I do! I love the small tins, perfect on night shift, I eat them cold, straight out of the tin, as my 3am snack!!
Yep. Same here. I also eat them as a snack or the large tin for lunch at work.

Baked beans are a very healthy food: Vegetable, fibre, full of protein, low in fat, salt and sugar (if you buy the unsalted low sugar version). A great food
Old Nov 4th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

I did hear that WA was still exploring for gas ?
sleep next to my wife gas in abundance there.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:25 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that bad....
Quote from the report:

And petrol.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
in the West Australian today:

Soaring Perth grocery prices put pinch on families
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...h-on-families/

Came here almost 13 years ago, everything was cheap like chips compare to the UK, now it's the reverse.
I was just about to say based on the title of your thread and the first bit that of course things are more expensive. That was 13 years ago!! There are people who look at receipts from 2000 and wonder why things have gone up. Inflation I suppose.

But I see you are drawing comparisons with the UK. Some things are more expensive I agree.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I was just about to say based on the title of your thread and the first bit that of course things are more expensive. That was 13 years ago!! There are people who look at receipts from 2000 and wonder why things have gone up. Inflation I suppose.

But I see you are drawing comparisons with the UK. Some things are more expensive I agree.
What would be interesting is seeing growth rates for your basket of goods here over 20 years and compare the same with the UK. I'd expect the trend to be up, but more interested in the rate of growth at various times.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What would be interesting is seeing growth rates for your basket of goods here over 20 years and compare the same with the UK. I'd expect the trend to be up, but more interested in the rate of growth at various times.
Look at how the price of lettuce has moved in the UK in the last 13 years.....

Ave price - Lettuce - Iceberg, each http://www.statistics.gov.uk
43p 1996 Sep
48p 1997 Sep
44p 1998 Sep
57p 1999 Sep
49p 2000 Sep
61p 2001 Sep
58p 2002 Sep
68p 2003 Sep
58p 2004 Sep
58p 2005 Sep
69p 2006 Sep
76p 2007 Sep
77p 2008 Sep
74p 2009 Sep

Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Look at how the price of lettuce has moved in the UK in the last 13 years.....

Ave price - Lettuce - Iceberg, each http://www.statistics.gov.uk
43p 1996 Sep
48p 1997 Sep
44p 1998 Sep
57p 1999 Sep
49p 2000 Sep
61p 2001 Sep
58p 2002 Sep
68p 2003 Sep
58p 2004 Sep
58p 2005 Sep
69p 2006 Sep
76p 2007 Sep
77p 2008 Sep
74p 2009 Sep
Talking of lettuce...I nearly forgot to mention (how could I!)...Icebergs are on special in Coles at 99c...although they didn't look the best.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Talking of lettuce...I nearly forgot to mention (how could I!)...Icebergs are on special in Coles at 99c...although they didn't look the best.
ALDI have good ones for 69c... I think I saw that on TV ..

Woolworths and Coles can never compete on Fruit and Vegetables

Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

overthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to all

me! beans on toast with cheese yum or with a full breakfast its not the same with no beans!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Did anyone see today tonight last night?

They did a fruit and veg comparison. I certainly won't be buying from the supermarket or the veggie stall next to Woolies anymore. Off to Wanneroo or Subi markets.

For anyone who didn't see they compared several items. The one that stuck in my mind was pink lady apples. $7.99 a kilo in "a" supermarket or 99 cents a kilo a subi market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.