Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's like trying to get a good bacon sandwich at a bar mitzvah!

It's like trying to get a good bacon sandwich at a bar mitzvah!

Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:09 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough
Default It's like trying to get a good bacon sandwich at a bar mitzvah!

I'm talking about cardboard boxes!

Remember the days when you used to go to the supermarket and there were loads of cardboard boxes by the checkouts? These days they're not allowed to leave them there because of health and safety rules! One person falls arse over tit and we're not allowed cardboard boxes! Old people can spot a bargin a mile away and find a tin of beans a penny less than another brand. But see a cardboard box? No chance. Wallop, down the old girl goes!

Tesco's tear them up straight away, B&Q unpack during the night and crush them straight away and are not allowed to save them.

All very good for recycling and saving broken hips, but what about the poor sods emmigrating! We need cardboard boxes! I've left to skulk around the backs of corner shops and trying to pinch what somebody else chucks out. I've been driving around like a curb crawler lately look to see what people have chucked out.

The garage is cleared out and so is the loft. Now it's all in my dining room. Just need to pack it all now!!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:23 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: It's like trying to get a good bacon sandwich at a bar mitzvah!

Originally posted by SteveBannister

Remember the days when you used to go to the supermarket and there were loads of cardboard boxes by the checkouts? These days they're not allowed to leave them there because of health and safety rules! One person falls arse over tit and we're not allowed cardboard boxes! Old people can spot a bargin a mile away and find a tin of beans a penny less than another brand. But see a cardboard box? No chance. Wallop, down the old girl goes!

Tesco's tear them up straight away, B&Q unpack during the night and crush them straight away and are not allowed to save them.

All very good for recycling and saving broken hips, but what about the poor sods emmigrating! We need cardboard boxes! I've left to skulk around the backs of corner shops and trying to pinch what somebody else chucks out. I've been driving around like a curb crawler lately look to see what people have chucked out.

The garage is cleared out and so is the loft. Now it's all in my dining room. Just need to pack it all now!!

Hi Steve

The one we were planning to move into might be going spare if Warren gets a job, I'll send it you. It's big and roomy, even has a slot in it just big enough to get a yellow envelope in !!

Good luck in your mission. You may be able to employ some of my stalking techniques !! .

Have you tried any local factories ? They are usually happy to help as they have to pay to have them taken away - just be careful you get them before they go in the crusher................

Jill

Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Probably no help to you but Sainsburys at Green Lanes, London has loads of them piled up at the end of the checkouts - obviously could not give a toss about Health & Safety !!

Now getting a good bacon buttie in London is a much trickier proposition. How anyone can open a cafe and not have a grill or a frying pan (but will reheat part cooked bacon in a microwave!!) is beyond me.

Probably them damned Health & Safety bods again !!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

I've just thrown out about 60 or 70 high quality cardboard boxes of various sizes from our move back to the UK. Not that it helps cos you're in Essex and I'm not!!

But I realised after the umpteenth trip to the recycling dump that I should have offered them for free on here for anyone who wanted good strong packing boxes.

Might be worth asking on the 'moving back to UK' forum if anyone heading back your way??

Need any Aussie plugs? Now I do have plenty of those!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

You probably already know Steve... but jsut incase you don't and for any Newbies...
Don't use fruit and veggie boxes because AQUIS don't like 'em (possibility of contamination) and it drives the sniffer dogs nuts
Old Feb 26th 2004, 6:51 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Hmmm....A very elaborate story just to provide cover for your persitant curb-crawling Stevie-boy. I can just picture the scene.....

Hello, Hello, Hello. Wot's going on 'ere then?

Oh, officer, good evening. I was just....

Doing a little bit of neighbourhood watch was we?

Oh no officer. You see I'm on the look out for some of those nice cardboard boxes, you know those really sturdy ones that the old ladies keep falling over.....

Yes sir, of course you were.

Well yes. Actually I'm trying to be a pom-refugee-dreamer and I need the boxes....

Hmmmm

A nice sturdy brown one, bigger the better....

Let's continue this little chat down the station shall we sir.........
Old Feb 26th 2004, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Costco in Lakeside have lots of strong boxes, but I thought you had to get the packers to box everything up ??
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:25 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by jwinch
Costco in Lakeside have lots of strong boxes, but I thought you had to get the packers to box everything up ??
This is us just sorting everything out BEFORE the packers get here! Eve thought it would be a good idea because that way everything is neatly stacked and out of the way if we get a viewing. Wouldn't mind, but we haven't advertised it yet!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:32 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

This is us just sorting everything out BEFORE the packers get here! Eve thought it would be a good idea because that way everything is neatly stacked and out of the way if we get a viewing. Wouldn't mind, but we haven't advertised it yet!
Hi Steve

I packed most of our stuff. I committed the cardinal sin though - I paid for proper boxes. Went to the local storage company and bought the double-wall-board boxes (my first job was in a cardboard making company, so I knew what to ask for) and six rolls of proper packing tape (NOT that shitty brown crap that gets glue onto all of your belongings.)

Just an idea....
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:33 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Too sensible DUP. And remember the smaller book boxes for books. I believe the standard cartons do not take the weight of books that well.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:37 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
Too sensible DUP. And remember the smaller book boxes for books. I believe the standard cartons do not take the weight of books that well.

They DO do boxes in various sizes, BP - including 'book' sized boxes. I think I spent about 40 quid on 'proper' boxes, but also used another 30/40 book sized boxes which I'd got from having home deliveries, and SAVING the boxes when I got my hands on them!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:42 pm

Originally posted by downunderpom

They DO do boxes in various sizes, BP - including 'book' sized boxes. I think I spent about 40 quid on 'proper' boxes, but also used another 30/40 book sized boxes which I'd got from having home deliveries, and SAVING the boxes when I got my hands on them!
I believe they are called book boxes. The shipping company should provide the correct boxes for a small fee.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:45 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by bondipom
I believe they are called book boxes. The shipping company should provide the correct boxes for a small fee.
Yeah, but then you have to give the boxes back at the other end. We still (after 18 months) have books in boxes. It's useful to own your own boxes. Especially if you intend to rent for a while, and then move later. If you give back your boxes you have to go through the same pallaver again.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:51 pm

Originally posted by downunderpom
Yeah, but then you have to give the boxes back at the other end. We still (after 18 months) have books in boxes. It's useful to own your own boxes. Especially if you intend to rent for a while, and then move later. If you give back your boxes you have to go through the same pallaver again.
We didn't but living in a unit we do not have room for hoarding boxes so out they went anyway.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Surely you have the perfect excuse to go out and buy a brand new TV, DVD, video, PC, printer, microwave, etc etc - you always get nice big boxes with those....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.