Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Originally Posted by rubyredlips
Anyone from sunny 'ull?

Met Mick ronson in Hull - not that sunny tho
Old Oct 6th 2006, 5:00 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sasbear
Ah so close - born in Sheffield (arbourthorne) moved to Brinsworth, then to Bramall Lane, then to Hackenthrope then to woodhouse (all in Sheffield) then to a small mining village called Creswell close to Worksop
just a guess, lived and worked in the area (Sheffield - Worksop) in early 90's
Old Oct 10th 2006, 9:07 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Yeah, she's arrived, saw a post of hers earlier!

BTW I'm from Middleton, Manchester, but paid our council tax to Rochdale and worked in Oldham!
Tracey
Have had a text off her, she is doing fine, staying at first with a UK couple in their rental and they have been very helpful. Sure she will pop up again soon. Common Ang we want an update for us Northerners.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubyredlips
Anyone from sunny 'ull?

We lived just outside of Hull East Yorkshire.
Lindzixxx
Old Oct 10th 2006, 10:09 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Yeah, she's arrived, saw a post of hers earlier!

BTW I'm from Middleton, Manchester, but paid our council tax to Rochdale and worked in Oldham!
Tracey
Me too! from Middleton. Manchester, currently in Sydney - but moving to Brisbane next week !!!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ELLJAY
Me too! from Middleton. Manchester, currently in Sydney - but moving to Brisbane next week !!!
Very good choice well done, hope you enjoy it.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jjonboy
any other Yorkshire folk in Sydney??
Not Yorkshire, no, but we are from Derbyshire, and now live in Wahroonga, Northern suburbs, NSW.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 1:40 pm

Come on Ang we are waiting for the update.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

wastonyy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by raven
As you can see i am about 10 miles north of manchester in a town called Rochdale.Typical of a northern textile industrial town which flourished during the industrial revolution. However i have noticed a big change in the last 10 to 15 years. Most of the manufacturing has iether shut down through cheaper imports or moved abroad.The town center and market areas are dirty and full of shops selling very cheap products and i cannot think of one decent store in the place. To put it bluntly it is catering for its Market. There are usually young yobs hanging about the place who can be very intimidating and make you feel uncomfortable. Anywhere within a 2 mile radius of the town center really needs a good makeover but i doubt it will ever happen.Indeed i feel the future is bleak for most northern towns and i think we can lay most of the blame on the greedy companys out there whos only interest is making as much money as possible for its investors who have decided to manufacture abroad.Hence a lot of young people who would have been in these type of jobs are now wandering the streets .
hi raven we to are from rochdale we lived in sydney for nearly 12 month and we now live on the gold coast which is much better we arrived nov 8th last year
spent most of that in sydney then on the 29th of sept moved here and lovin it.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Feel like I'm being stalked as the recent posts are all from my past.

Grew up in Rochdale and used to catch the bus from Middleton to Manchester when I worked there. I left asap because they were just so crowded, getting rougher and I never felt I belonged there. My parents moved away to Bolton which seems much nicer and I'm working on them to move out here.

Then I moved to Hull which I absolutely loved, went back after Uni and lived in Beverley. If we were ever to return to England we'd go there. Have very fond memories of the Marina, Skidby, Cottingham, the bridge, etc...

Also worked in Skipton, Yorkshire which I found unwelcoming; Abridge in Essex near Chigwell which was so friendly, Wolverhampton (near Tettenhall) which was slow to warm up but became a wonderful home with many lifelong friends; and now Melbourne.

It really isn't same shit, shinier bucket. Some places are nicer than others and some suit us better than others. I would never go back to Rochdale but there are many parts of England that I love.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by flip
Feel like I'm being stalked as the recent posts are all from my past.

Grew up in Rochdale and used to catch the bus from Middleton to Manchester when I worked there. I left asap because they were just so crowded, getting rougher and I never felt I belonged there. My parents moved away to Bolton which seems much nicer and I'm working on them to move out here.

Then I moved to Hull which I absolutely loved, went back after Uni and lived in Beverley. If we were ever to return to England we'd go there. Have very fond memories of the Marina, Skidby, Cottingham, the bridge, etc...

Also worked in Skipton, Yorkshire which I found unwelcoming; Abridge in Essex near Chigwell which was so friendly, Wolverhampton (near Tettenhall) which was slow to warm up but became a wonderful home with many lifelong friends; and now Melbourne.

It really isn't same shit, shinier bucket. Some places are nicer than others and some suit us better than others. I would never go back to Rochdale but there are many parts of England that I love.
Same is true of Aus it has all sorts of places and people, you have to find one that suits you and not just stop at the first place.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Matt's from Bradford, and I''m from Leyland, near Preston.
We love it out here. Even though he comes from Yorkshire, Matt hates the cold, even in Brisbane!
j
Old Oct 13th 2006, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

its that bloody dark here in the boro i cant see any grimness...(6.24 AM)
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Matt's from Bradford, and I''m from Leyland, near Preston.
We love it out here. Even though he comes from Yorkshire, Matt hates the cold, even in Brisbane!
j
It's amazing how quick you get used to the heat and start to feel cold when it's 20 odd degrees.
Old Oct 13th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lollyno1
its that bloody dark here in the boro i cant see any grimness...(6.24 AM)
youve got ya ballaclava on back to front ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lolly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.