Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Oct 4th 2006, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Originally Posted by annqldau
The other half has been to Grimsby but I haven't did nearly buy a cast iron bath from there but then found one local.

Think you've done very well with your latest des res and sure you could fit a bigger freezer in all that empty space... .

I'm sure your right but didn't wanna set my sights to high, besides now I've got 2 diver's in the family I probably wont be able to afford to fill it anyway

Boys are back tonight so I guess he'll be giving you a call to let you know how they did.

Deb
Old Oct 4th 2006, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).

I am from Ryton, Tyne and Wear and I am in Perth
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
From Oldham, hated it. In Perth now but coming to Brisbane on Sat

lace xx
Do you not like Perth? Just wondered why you are going to Brisbane, or is it just a holiday?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
To get back on track this wasn't supposed to be a UK/Aus bashing thread there's plenty of others for that(although fond memories of UK allowed), the main gist of the thread was supposed to be:

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?
Well I'm from Manchester and am presently on the south side of Brisbane and I think it's brill. Not 100% settled yet though been here 15 months cos still waiting to move into my own home. Hopefully another month and it should be finished. Also hubby needs to get a permanent job. I think I underestimated how long it takes to feel at home. However went shopping on saturday and bumped into someone I know. That used to happen all the time in the UK. You were sure to meet someone in Tesco (and always when I looked a fright!)[/QUOTE]
And us lot from Sunny Morecambe/Lancaster.
Now in the beautiful Bunbury south west WA.
And settled and very very happy. But do miss my family.
Denise
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
from north lancashire now in Perth. It is grim where I am from, wasn't when I was a kid but it is now.
same here, Morecambe was the best place when i was a young girl, but gone to the dogs now. Voted the worst beach in Britain
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Where do you call north?

I am in Derbyshire and it certainly is not grim where I live

G
Where in Derbyshire? I lived on the border of Notts, Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:08 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sasbear
Where in Derbyshire? I lived on the border of Notts, Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Worksop?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:18 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Originally Posted by raven
As you can see i am about 10 miles north of manchester in a town called Rochdale.Typical of a northern textile industrial town which flourished during the industrial revolution. However i have noticed a big change in the last 10 to 15 years. Most of the manufacturing has iether shut down through cheaper imports or moved abroad.The town center and market areas are dirty and full of shops selling very cheap products and i cannot think of one decent store in the place. To put it bluntly it is catering for its Market. There are usually young yobs hanging about the place who can be very intimidating and make you feel uncomfortable. Anywhere within a 2 mile radius of the town center really needs a good makeover but i doubt it will ever happen.Indeed i feel the future is bleak for most northern towns and i think we can lay most of the blame on the greedy companys out there whos only interest is making as much money as possible for its investors who have decided to manufacture abroad.Hence a lot of young people who would have been in these type of jobs are now wandering the streets .
Aus is starting to send lots of it's work to China so will soon have same problem of Aus workers have to be paid so much but fine for the companies to move it all to a country that doesn't have a decent minimum wage or any of the western health and safety laws.

Cresta's sensible side... Hope they enjoyed the diving and diving here is a lot warmer than it ever was in the UK.

Glad to see the Durham and Tyne & Wear (as someone who grew up in a SAFC suporting house hold have to include T & W) contingint is increasing.

Think anyone who gives Aus a proper go will always find things they miss about UK but will also appretiate all Aus has to offer. Think we would try somewhere else first before we ever returned to UK if the worst happened and we decided to leave, which at this moment in time we are not planning on doing.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 1:37 pm

Anyone know if Tiawamutu (Ang from Sunderland) has made it to Perth she's gone very quiet and should be there by now???
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:28 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if Tiawamutu (Ang from Sunderland) has made it to Perth she's gone very quiet and should be there by now???
Yeah, she's arrived, saw a post of hers earlier!

BTW I'm from Middleton, Manchester, but paid our council tax to Rochdale and worked in Oldham!
Tracey
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
same here, Morecambe was the best place when i was a young girl, but gone to the dogs now. Voted the worst beach in Britain

yeah its crap, couldn't wait to leave and what beach, can't remember ever being on it!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Yeah, she's arrived, saw a post of hers earlier!

BTW I'm from Middleton, Manchester, but paid our council tax to Rochdale and worked in Oldham!
Tracey
Cheers must have missed it will have to hunt it down.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

rubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of lightrubyredlips is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone from sunny 'ull?
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
yeah its crap, couldn't wait to leave and what beach, can't remember ever being on it!
Morecambe had a nice little beach, we had half moon bay, and Middleton.
What beach indeed, you must have blinked
Old Oct 6th 2006, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Worksop?

Ah so close - born in Sheffield (arbourthorne) moved to Brinsworth, then to Bramall Lane, then to Hackenthrope then to woodhouse (all in Sheffield) then to a small mining village called Creswell close to Worksop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.