Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:13 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Not quite over there yet, but based in Manchester and heading for Sydney.

Can I just add though that I lived in London for 8 years, then Leicester (!) and Manchester for the past 6 and IF one day we decide to come back to the UK we would be heading striaight for Manchester. Love it here!!

Graham
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:18 am
Danny Kay

Danny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant futureDanny Kay has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by borolad
paved the cenotaph at newbiggin by the sea in jan 04 bloody baltic there
Albeit i,m not in Oz yet but soon to be. I am from Halifax and can not wait to move I have lived in York (RAF) did my Paramedic Training at northumberland Lived in Bedlington Worked at Tynemouth Amb Station. Could not wait to leave very rough place to live and work.

Danny
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:08 am
Melbourne

deputy dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).
From Middlesbrough and been living in Melbourne for last 15 months.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:09 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).
We are from Wakefield in West Yorkshire & are living extremely happy in Ashmore on the Gold Coast.

Claire
x
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by deputy dog
From Middlesbrough and been living in Melbourne for last 15 months.
where bouts in m/boro.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

As you well know Ann...we are from the beautiful village of Sedgefield in the County of Durham.

Now in Melbourne and feeling quite happy...but missing our friends in Brisbane (....see you on 22nd November ..ish)
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

...and Im a Boro fan :scared:
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:04 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheshire...which isn't grim....ok, so St Helens and Crewe is
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:39 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

from north lancashire now in Perth. It is grim where I am from, wasn't when I was a kid but it is now.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Originally Posted by marcbolam
I thought Easington was a mining village (no miners now though after maggies revolution !! scab she was!!) near a small town in county durham called sunderland.
Sunderland is a City - part of the county of Tyne & Wear, not County Durham.

Now Easington is on the border and I cant remember if it is in County Durham or Tyne & Wear.

I was born in Sunderland (then town - now city), lived in Fencehouses (then County Durham, now Tyne & Wear), migrated to Oslo. Migrated to London (Leytonstone), lived in Chelmsford Essex, moved to Fencehouses, moved to East Rainton, Downhill, Gateshead, Whitley Bay and finally living in North Shields for last three years. - I am expert at packing and moving!!

Cant wait to get to Perth at the end of the year!!

I personally think that Northern people are more adventurous when it comes to travelling - not scared to try anything new. In fact when holidaying to some really far out places always end up bumping into someone from a couple of villages away, in fact we always play spot the toon army shirt game at far away airports!

Paula
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:03 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CasG
Cheshire...which isn't grim....ok, so St Helens and Crewe is
How dare you! Crewe is a fabulous place... You know the big vicarage on West St? St Barnabas? I spent much of my childhood there. Mr Timmins ran the sweet shop across the road and Brian Snail ran the chippy. Happy days.

Actually, Crewe is a dive, you're quite right. We backed onto the Rolls Royce factory, so that was always interesting viewing.

Where you from in Cheshire, Cas?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:01 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Orig. from Oldham, now a soft southerner in Melbourne, loving it and am now Officially Australian and proud!

LJJ
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

From Oldham, hated it. In Perth now but coming to Brisbane on Sat

lace xx
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

That makes 3 of us from Oldham. Wonder how we could bear to leave.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 2:01 pm
Just had a book published

Brian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to beholdBrian Clough down under is a splendid one to behold

I'm from Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. It's a top place in my opinion, great night out, great shops, good transport, good sporting facilities, relatively cheap compared to the south. There are some holes down south as well, just as there are oop north - personally, i think Sunderland and Newcastle are just rough, grim places, and Bradford is a hole, but then again look at Maidstone, Gillingham, much of south east London, Harlesden, Hackney, St Pauls in Bristol - all absolute sh*tholes.

And then there's Sydney. Yep, it has plenty of gorgeous areas, but has anyone been to Granville? Liverpool? Cabramatta? Bankstown? Punchbowl? Horrible places.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.