Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
St Helens or Sydney - wasn't a hard choice really.

I'm raise in Bleak Hill Road/Windle Island area, went to Rainford School and lived the last 6 years on The Shires (the 'new' development at the back of the Pheonix Pub - old Pilks land, for those that have been away for a while!)

Onlygood thing to come out of St Helens - the new M62 link road to get you out quickly. But really I should have said that Birchalls pies are even better than Pimmies.

St Helens Glass has the Class - yeah so much class they went bust for about the4th time in 10 years and have shut down. The offices are now completely fire gutted.
When I worked in Pilks Head Office I used to drink in the Phoenix ...literally across the road from my office (Transport Office). Now the 'new' Head Office is on Prescot Road. The 'bullnose' building of the old Head Office has now been converted into apartments
Pilkingtons has now been bought by a Japanese company
I definately agree that Birchalls are better than Pimmies, especially their pork pies
I used to love Vanilla slices, here they are like bricks ....but the French Vanilla slices in Miss Maud's...here in the west...are to die for
Forgot to mention that St.Helens Glass is not Pilkingtons :-)

Last edited by Vin 'n Bin; Nov 22nd 2007 at 8:55 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

My uncle still works at Pilks has done for all his working life, you may know him

Ian Litherland he's from St Helens
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

I used to go to Sutton High School in Elton Head rd St Helens, then left and went to St Helens college many moons ago, any one remember the St Helens show it used to be really good then it went crap is it still going any one know.
My parents run the big craft and gift fair every couple of months at the haydock park racecourse.

Paula.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carrianne
My uncle still works at Pilks has done for all his working life, you may know him

Ian Litherland he's from St Helens
Where you living on the Sunshine Coast, im Buderim.

paula.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Clown dra
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cantwait
I used to go to Sutton High School in Elton Head rd St Helens, then left and went to St Helens college many moons ago, any one remember the St Helens show it used to be really good then it went crap is it still going any one know.
My parents run the big craft and gift fair every couple of months at the haydock park racecourse.

Paula.
Paula, the St.Helens Show is still going (In Sherdley Park) but everyone says it gets worse each year
On my first visit back there in 1989 my uncle took me to this 'fantastic show' ...it was dreadful! Then my uncle came over here (when I lived in Adelaide) and I took him to the Royal Show. He was then very embarrassed about taking me to the St.Helens 'show'
I also went to St.Helens College...many, many moons ago...like in the early 60's
A few of my friends live in Haydock and one of them has a stall selling all sorts of stuff...swords for people who do medieval reanactments etc but I think she sells in Widnes mainly
My son also went to Sutton High

Sorry Carrieanne, your uncle's name doesn't ring a bell. I also asked OH and he doesn't know him either. We have been over here for 36 years...maybe he was after our time there :-)

Last edited by Vin 'n Bin; Nov 23rd 2007 at 3:28 am. Reason: typo
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Paula, the St.Helens Show is still going (In Sherdley Park) but everyone says it gets worse each year
On my first visit back there in 1989 my uncle took me to this 'fantastic show' ...it was dreadful! Then my uncle came over here (when I lived in Adelaide) and I took him to the Royal Show. He was then very embarrassed about taking me to the St.Helens 'show'
I also went to St.Helens College...many, many moons ago...like in the early 60's
A few of my friends live in Haydock and one of them has a stall selling all sorts of stuff...swords for people who do medieval reanactments etc but I think she sells in Widnes mainly
My son also went to Sutton High

Sorry Carrieanne, your uncle's name doesn't ring a bell. I also asked OH and he doesn't know him either. We have been over here for 36 years...maybe he was after our time there :-)
The sherdley show was bad enough the last time i went that must be about 7 -8 yrs ago and it was shocking then.!

Paula.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by annqldau
It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).
im from royton nr oldham .living in kalgoorlie . prity peaceful compared to oldham
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:26 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulb
Im on the Mornington Peninsula somewhere
I knew we'd find you, me not managing to get there it's hard to visualise...
Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:43 pm

Cool Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

If you haven't seen this you should...

Geordie Shoeshop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOYnTZseDYo
Old Jul 20th 2008, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).
Forgot to mention the other night ,but did you know there's a couple heading out this way from Cold Hesledon in a couple of months ?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

If you haven't seen this you should...

Geordie Shoeshop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOYnTZseDYo
Its a classic
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Forgot to mention the other night ,but did you know there's a couple heading out this way from Cold Hesledon in a couple of months ?
??? who would that be seen as there are limited housing options there?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Originally Posted by paulb
Its a classic
Best one I've seen in ages...

How's the house going, weather settled down?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

??? who would that be seen as there are limited housing options there?
Tasmas on the other place but dont know about here !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.