Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

I see the threadcount has gone skyhigh and now I don't have time to read all the comments!

Originally Posted by DeadVim
OK ... Bernie is right (!), they are fat and pathetic and probably trying to escape their own personal hell by finding solace in moving countries when all they really need to do is stop eating pies and move their feet more.

I reckon they took one look at themselves in the sun with less clothing on and died in shame. Better to go back to Hull and fit in with the other feckless lazy biffers layering up against the drizzle.
To be honest the people in the article are precisely the sort of people who move to Australia, but shouldn't. It's a sad, self-fulfilling phrophecy. Of course, though, there's nothing wrong with just feeling a place is wrong...if nothing clicks - but people like this cannot execute a plan, or ever really do well in life past their own little bubble.

They are 'Supermarket tragics' silly people - whatever. That bloke is the sort of bloke who if he had stayed would have said things like 'Aussies can't drive' to which we would all have said "But you are yourself a **** Sir'.

I see the Mail was right to say that grocery prices are high in Australia but they listed a GBP price from which I infer they used an FX rate: which we all know is guaranteed to end in disaster. It would have been better if they had listed the dollar price, and a typical salary for the couple.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Why the hell would anyone want to move to Adelaide
What a stupid question!!

Tis cos I live here
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
As in the paper made it up or misquoted the family or what?

It's what families they reported on want to read about. And families above like to look down on them and tut, tut. And families above and below them think they are celebrities and want to emulate them.
hmmm...that sort of how the tabloids probably work in the UK.
The Mail does it well as it attracts a whole mob of people all trying their damn hardest in life.....
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:51 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I see the Mail was right to say that grocery prices are high in Australia but they listed a GBP price from which I infer they used an FX rate: which we all know is guaranteed to end in disaster. It would have been better if they had listed the dollar price, and a typical salary for the couple.
Unfortunately they didn't stay long enough to have an Australian salary - they were buying goods at Australian prices from UK savings, so it obviously seemed expensive. Hopefully most would-be immigrants read forums like this before coming and get a dose of reality (or what passes for reality in the minds of BE members).

I didn't know any more about Australia than they did before we came over in 1983 - but I did know that I was going to stick it out and not give up just because I couldn't get a particular brand of squash/cordial.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Unfortunately they didn't stay long enough to have an Australian salary - they were buying goods at Australian prices from UK savings, so it obviously seemed expensive. Hopefully most would-be immigrants read forums like this before coming and get a dose of reality (or what passes for reality in the minds of BE members).

I didn't know any more about Australia than they did before we came over in 1983 - but I did know that I was going to stick it out and not give up just because I couldn't get a particular brand of squash/cordial.
hmmm....the Mail could have researched the sort of salary 'a biff' gets

There will be people who will tell you that supermarket brands are just the tip of an iceberg in a far larger sea of unfamiliarity (sympathy in other words)- but the fact of the matter these are not clever people by any means. The Mail mentioned that the woman thought 'he would miss his Mum'. It's fine to miss your family of course but it is a biff's lot to talk about it like that in public....(he is probably the sort who 'took his washing home' etc etc)
Old Jun 18th 2013, 4:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
hmmm....the Mail could have researched the sort of salary 'a biff' gets

There will be people who will tell you that supermarket brands are just the tip of an iceberg in a far larger sea of unfamiliarity (sympathy in other words)- but the fact of the matter these are not clever people by any means. The Mail mentioned that the woman thought 'he would miss his Mum'. It's fine to miss your family of course but it is a biff's lot to talk about it like that in public....(he is probably the sort who 'took his washing home' etc etc)
What's wrong with talking about missing your family? And why do you have to be thick to be baffled by the unfamiliarity of supermarket brands when you are using a shop you hadn't even heard of two days before?
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

A beat up story by The Daily Mail. I would think a number of reasons perhaps impacted on their decision to return. Those reasons would hardly be newsworthy. Things like sky hot costs and the probability of not the high wages as expected. Easy to focus on the petty things and give their readers a bit of a laugh. Could say a non story.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What's wrong with talking about missing your family? And why do you have to be thick to be baffled by the unfamiliarity of supermarket brands when you are using a shop you hadn't even heard of two days before?

Baffled equates to to being kind of dumb IMO.... To go on a learning curve re tastes is more of adventure rather than a daunting prospect as as I'm concerned. Which probably sums up one aspect re the attitude between people that are likely to be sucessful migrants and those that aren't. Half the brands are the same as the UK anyway, so there is at least some base for people that don't see new brands as an adventure. God help erm if they ever ventured into their local Aldi.

As time goes by I realise more and more that people really do reap what they sow... This family are just living the way they have to live. I'm not going to knock them, It's just their nature. Just personally thankful that I dont think in a similar fashion to them.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

It does appear to be rather easier for UK immigrants to get in than others though. The fellow in question was going to be a stay at home dad, while there's nothing wrong with that, seems unlikely her skill set would have been to the standard that would allow any great degree of comfort with modern day priced Australia.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 6:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
It does appear to be rather easier for UK immigrants to get in than others though. The fellow in question was going to be a stay at home dad, while there's nothing wrong with that, seems unlikely her skill set would have been to the standard that would allow any great degree of comfort with modern day priced Australia.
Damn - didn't realise that being female and sole wage earner in Australia would mean I couldn't afford any comfort
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Damn - didn't realise that being female and sole wage earner in Australia would mean I couldn't afford any comfort
I managed perfectly well for a little while after I left my first husband. Well I didn't starve or anything anyway!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 7:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I managed perfectly well for a little while after I left my first husband. Well I didn't starve or anything anyway!
He didn't take all you money then
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
He didn't take all you money then
No, I made sure he gave me half. I call it compensation for living with an moron wrapped in an idiot for 20 years.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Wendy
No, I made sure he gave me half. I call it compensation for living with an moron wrapped in an idiot for 20 years.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Read my post again. I was sympathetic to people missing their family. (Read it!)

It is the sort of biff where his wife talks about him 'missing his Mum' who is a...biff. What about his old man, besides?

It is certainly not thick to be baffled about brands but it is; after x no of weeks, and to give it as a reason to a newspaper.

Of course if the Mail made it up they were only doing it to play into the hands of other like-minded biffs...this is what journalism is about - targeting your demographic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.