Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I think the comments from the readers at the end tell all that can be said about the decision to go in the first place and the decision to return - pathetic, impulsive, lack of research, inability/unwillingness to adapt, should have tried to stick it out for longer etc. I can just see the headline if it was in Rupert's Sun - Hull to Hell and back!

However, there was a couple reported in the media about a decade ago who decided to migrate to Victoria. They got off the plane at Tulla, got into a taxi and before they got to the city centre they had instructed the driver to take them back to Tulla and they returned to the UK. I'm not sure if it's in the Guinness Book of World Records but it has to be the shortest migration on record.
We had a couple on here who went home before their container arrived, they got the shippers in Perth to turn it round and send it straight back. Don't remember anyone stopping theirs before it left the port though
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's grim Down Under: Family who swapped Hull for life of luxury in Australia

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We had a couple on here who went home before their container arrived, they got the shippers in Perth to turn it round and send it straight back. Don't remember anyone stopping theirs before it left the port though
Friend from Mars emigrated to Perth a few years back - his wife and daughter were back in the UK before the container arrived. He had to wait to turn it round again. They had never been before - and I don't think they've been back since
Old Jun 14th 2013, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The couple who didn't make Melbourne city centre said they didn't like the look of the place (from the freeway)!
Old Jun 14th 2013, 2:35 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I feel for the kids when I read stories like this - and I mean no disrespect to anyone on here, I'm sure everyone has their reasons for ping-ponging however many times. As kids we mived house a lot for my dad's job; the result is neither my sister or I feel we have a real "home-town" - we feel an affinity to several areas, but where was "home"? Kids -albeit probably older than the one in this article - who go back and forth must surely feel the same? I'm sure some will take it in their stride, but others may always feel like drifters.....I wonder if they also find it hard to settle as adults?
Old Jun 14th 2013, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Even I, not renowned for being Australia's biggest fan, can see the Daily Mail has excelled itself with this article......
I disagree.. they didn't even touch on the difference in price of bananas.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 5:05 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It's lucky they didn't come over here to Canada and saw the price of cheese!
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:24 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely unbelievable! That is all!
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Its the Daily Mail,of course it is unbelievable.
Old Jun 14th 2013, 6:57 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Its the Daily Mail,of course it is unbelievable.
The Daily Fail as me and a few colleagues like to call it!
Old Jun 14th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Well, someone didn't do their homework or even venture into BEland before leaving the UK!

There is still lots of food stuff I miss from the UK but to go home because you can't get a certain brand of squash...sorry cordial AND you can get 100 green tea bags for less than 8 pounds. Did I leave because I couldn't get Topics here, no, I stuck it out although a decent pork pie could lure me back...

I know someone who stayed for 2 weeks, funny they went to Adelaide as well. We met up with this family at the airport when they left the UK as our flights to Oz were on the same evening, they were so excited. Then I thought it funny that I hadn't heard anything and the next thing I read on another forum was they were sitting in Singapore airport on the way home. Even if I didn't like it and didn't want to stay, having spent all that time and money coming I would have taken some time out to go and visit a few places. Anyway, they got home, bought a new house, settled down and everyone seemed happy. I suppose because then we had nothing in common I never heard from them again but I suppose they had to go and get it out of their system but 2 weeks is no time.

On the upside the supermarkets are sooooooo much better now since we arrived 6 years ago and I saw Camel Burgers in Coles the other week, you don't get them in Hull!
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
The couple who didn't make Melbourne city centre said they didn't like the look of the place (from the freeway)!
Every time i go to melbourne i think about the poor people who live in the suburbs next to that freeway...... dont blame them really..... looks horrible.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked by the lady who rented us holiday accommodation when we arrived if I would meet this Englsh lady for coffee so I could share our great experience as she was so homesick. Rang up to make a date to be told they'd flown back after 1 month.....they had a school aged child as well who was old enough to feel the upheaval.

We were so sure it was right for us that we can't understand how people change their mind so quickly. I guess we were both partly brought up abroad and had visited prior so it wasn't totally alien.......Not to mention the hassle stress and cost of moving back again, although if their container was still in the UK that would be easier.....
Old Jun 15th 2013, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Icecube
Fairly obvious why they went back,always wanted to live in the north east,a wise choice.

Beautiful beaches up the northumberland coast,great villages down the tyne valley.Wonderful Bamburgh castle right on the coast with the white/golden beach in front of it,cricket pitch behind it,and village pub over the road.

Seahouses golf course is a bit of a bugger, but,can't have everything.

Geordie downunder
Old Jun 15th 2013, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by swans
Fairly obvious why they went back,always wanted to live in the north east,a wise choice.

Beautiful beaches up the northumberland coast,great villages down the tyne valley.Wonderful Bamburgh castle right on the coast with the white/golden beach in front of it,cricket pitch behind it,and village pub over the road.

Seahouses golf course is a bit of a bugger, but,can't have everything.

Geordie downunder
Google north of tyne ,some very good photos of the castle there.One day I'll have to get back for a bottle o broon ale.

geordie downunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.