Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's good bye from him!

Wikiposts

It's good bye from him!

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's good bye from him!

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Interesting!

But when you say the Points for skilled occupation, do you mean the 40, 50, 60 will be dropping?

If so then that's NOT gonna help me at all!

Or maybe the points pass mark?! .... sorry, not sure

Have you heard anything on this front Jeremy?
I've heard nothing at all. I'd have thought the risk on the pass mark is more on the upside than downside, but it's not long until the 4th April so maybe be patient.

It's certain that there will be changes in the next few years. For example the whole occupations classification in Australia is being revised (likely in late 2006) and they might take the opportunity to fundamentally re-think the skilled migration system at this stage.

Jeremy
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

With a SIR Visa, you have to live there for 2 yrs, and get 12 months employment in that time (think), but once you have this, do you then apply and hopefully get PR. Do you have to make the points again I mean? I ask as after 3yrs of study, + 2 yrs in the area, I will now be in a higher age bracket and bang goes 5 points!

Thanks Jeremy
With the SIR visa the two main pathways to PR are:

- STNI. The 45 age bar and points test is waived but you do need state sponsorship.
- RSMS. No points test but you need sponsorship from a regional employer.

The SIR to PR regulations are still complex and it's not clear whether all SIR holders will be able to get PR, especially where the state does not sponsor. It's also not clear what DIMIA will do in this situation - work out a solution, leave people in limbo, or send them hime. All will be revealed in or before 2007 when SIR holders start reaching the end of their visas.

Jeremy

Jeremy
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
With the SIR visa the two main pathways to PR are:

- STNI. The 45 age bar and points test is waived but you do need state sponsorship.
- RSMS. No points test but you need sponsorship from a regional employer.

The SIR to PR regulations are still complex and it's not clear whether all SIR holders will be able to get PR, especially where the state does not sponsor. It's also not clear what DIMIA will do in this situation - work out a solution, leave people in limbo, or send them hime. All will be revealed in or before 2007 when SIR holders start reaching the end of their visas.

Jeremy

Jeremy
Hmmm, back with head on

I had ruled out STNI for several reasons.

1) On DIMIA's website I read:

The following links will take you to general information about each visa subclass.

Offshore general skilled

Skilled–Independent
Skilled–Independent Regional (Provisional) [SIR]
Skilled–State Territory Nominated Independent
Skill Matching
Skilled–Designated Area-Sponsored
Skilled–Australian-Sponsored

Onshore general skilled

Skilled–Independent Overseas Student
Skilled-Independent Regional (Provisional) [SIR]
Skilled–Designated Area-sponsored Overseas Student
Skilled–Australian-sponsored Overseas Student
Graduate Skilled Temporary

(no onshore STNI ?!?!)

Onshore New Zealand citizen

Skilled–Onshore Independent New Zealand Citizen
Skilled–Onshore Designated Area-sponsored New Zealand Citizen
Skilled–Onshore Australian-sponsored New Zealand Citizen

Now there is NO onshore STNI, but if I follow the 'offshore' link for Skilled Categories, I read this:

Introduction

Applicants applying for an offshore skilled migration visa (and any dependants included in their application) may be in Australia at the time they lodge their application. However, they must be outside Australia at the time the visa is granted.

Now call me stupid (please don't!) but if this means I could do the Degree, apply for the Visa from Australia, but have to return to the UK or whatever to get the Visa, then that in itself will cause many problems!

RSMS I'll go and have a read up on.

Oh and you say the 45 age is waived with STNI, but when you look at this option on DIMIA it states you still have to meet the 'min requirements' which states you have to be under 45 ?!

I was going to say i've got 10 yrs before this is an issue, but at this rate it might take me 10 yrs!! ...lol
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 6:40 am
JAJ
Retired

Now there is NO onshore STNI, but if I follow the 'offshore' link for Skilled Categories, I read this:

Introduction

Applicants applying for an offshore skilled migration visa (and any dependants included in their application) may be in Australia at the time they lodge their application. However, they must be outside Australia at the time the visa is granted.

Now call me stupid (please don't!) but if this means I could do the Degree, apply for the Visa from Australia, but have to return to the UK or whatever to get the Visa, then that in itself will cause many problems!
Onshore STNI is available for SIR visa holders only.

As for offshore STNI yes you can apply for this in Australia and you can collect your visa in somewhere like New Zealand. However you get no bridging visa to keep you in Australia during processing.

Be aware that you need to meet state government skill criteria to get an STNI nomination. If accountant is on their list when you graduate and they are happy to accept new graduates (they tend to require work experience, however) then it might be an option.

Or you mighe have to go for SIR and switch to STNI later. The theory is that states will waive the STNI skill criteria for SIR holders who 'do the right thing' but whether they'll do so in reality is anyone's guess. There's no obligation on the state to do so. All this is why it's better to go for SIR in a state like SA which does understand the issues in sponsoring individual migrants and has a track record in doing so.

Oh and you say the 45 age is waived with STNI, but when you look at this option on DIMIA it states you still have to meet the 'min requirements' which states you have to be under 45 ?!

I was going to say i've got 10 yrs before this is an issue, but at this rate it might take me 10 yrs!! ...lol
On the 45 age bar, the following is direct from the Migration Regulations for STNI:

137.21 Criteria to be satisfied at time of application
137.211 If the applicant:
(a) is not the holder of a Skilled — Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX) visa on the basis of satisfying the primary criteria for the grant of that visa; and
(b) is not the holder of a Skilled — Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX) visa, but is the spouse or former spouse of a person who is or was the holder of a Skilled — Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX) visa on the basis of satisfying the primary criteria for the grant of that visa;
the applicant is less than 45 years of age.

What this means is that as long as you are under 45 when you get a SIR visa it's ok if you are over 45 when you come to apply for STNI.

Jeremy
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Onshore STNI is available for SIR visa holders only.

As for offshore STNI yes you can apply for this in Australia and you can collect your visa in somewhere like New Zealand. However you get no bridging visa to keep you in Australia during processing.

Be aware that you need to meet state government skill criteria to get an STNI nomination. If accountant is on their list when you graduate and they are happy to accept new graduates (they tend to require work experience, however) then it might be an option.

Or you mighe have to go for SIR and switch to STNI later. The theory is that states will waive the STNI skill criteria for SIR holders who 'do the right thing' but whether they'll do so in reality is anyone's guess. There's no obligation on the state to do so. All this is why it's better to go for SIR in a state like SA which does understand the issues in sponsoring individual migrants and has a track record in doing so.

On the 45 age bar, the following is direct from the Migration Regulations for STNI:

137.21 Criteria to be satisfied at time of application
137.211 If the applicant:
(a) is not the holder of a Skilled — Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX) visa on the basis of satisfying the primary criteria for the grant of that visa; and
(b) is not the holder of a Skilled — Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX) visa, but is the spouse or former spouse of a person who is or was the holder of a Skilled — Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX) visa on the basis of satisfying the primary criteria for the grant of that visa;
the applicant is less than 45 years of age.

What this means is that as long as you are under 45 when you get a SIR visa it's ok if you are over 45 when you come to apply for STNI.

Jeremy
Ok thanks

So in a nutshell, my options in order of preference (like I have any say! ...lol) and ALL based on GETTING the Degree! which is a bit questionable as we speak.

1) Accountant stays on the MODL and go for Skilled Independant and all good!

(1 in 10 chance!)

2) No MODL so go SIR of some sort. STNI + go spend a few months with my friends in Wellington, and return when granted, OR this RSMS which to be honest I know very little about as we speak. I looked at STNI a while back as with my TRA I thought it might have been an option.

All obv IF I was to get the Nomination at all!

I think this will all be a MAJOR consideration when I'm looking for a Uni. 1) the area will give the 5 for the regional study bit, but also because they are known to take part in the nomination side of things, Tas, SA, Vic etc

(up to a 2 in 10 chance maybe?!)

3) Or get the Degree, and leave Australia

(10/10 chance! ...lol)

There IS soooooo much to look into, so much that can stop it all, but at least I am starting to understand the Visa side a bit more (think), which is good