Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's going down in Sydney

It's going down in Sydney

Old Dec 15th 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's going down in Sydney

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Also, I appreciate the picture was not the best but how have we not identified this guy yet? I guess biometric scanning at traffic lights for all is next on the list.
Probably have. Just not telling us in case he has some mates that the cops might like to have a word with.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Also, I appreciate the picture was not the best but how have we not identified this guy yet? I guess biometric scanning at traffic lights for all is next on the list.
They've said they do know his identity and they're doing background checks on him.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 7:41 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, staff have been let back into the channel 7 building and can see the hostages through the window.
This seems really odd to me!
Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Apparently, staff have been let back into the channel 7 building and can see the hostages through the window.
This seems really odd to me!
They were just reporting from the Channel 7 building when the lights in the cafe were turned out so that people can't see in any more.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Playing right into this lunatics hands with all of this media coverage.

I'm fairly hopeful it will all turn out quite well in the end. However from his point of view Mission accomplished... inasmuch as others will be more motivated and a certain amount of trepidation instilled into the general populace.

If this was a exercise which it clearly isn't, that would mean the downfall of the NSW government for allowing such a thing to happen under their watch.

Reporting back on my walk back through Coburg, didnt notice anything significantly different, may have been less Muslim women around not completely sure.
About the only thing clear is the lack of clarity. Best assume nothing. Although with the lack of accountability with the present government and the compulsion to secrecy of those taking part whose to know?

Although if it did come out as such feathers would certainly fly .
Old Dec 15th 2014, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Well more the reaction of government in falling into the hands of those with a desire to create turmoil. Every loss of a civil liberty, every new law frustrating our freedom of movement is but another win for those wanting to frustrate those freedoms.

Events in Sydney are far from clear and far removed on present information on anything to do with London.

London being a world city has always faced international threats. That city has just gone on with life there regardless. Only way to go.

I think we need to put our freedom of movement to one side for the time being, safety of the people must be the main priority at this time.
If Sydney didn't put the safety of the people first and this incident turned out not to be the only one going off in the city. Then they would be hell to pay. I think it's better to be safe than sorry personally.

It's not just about London, as I mentioned earlier. If it's Islamic extremists we are talking about here, then it involves every major western city that has stood in the way of their uncivilised barbaric regimes - the countries who have offered their help to try and bring the regime down by allowing use of their utilities, man-power, air-power etc...They are all targets, just as much as London is.

Yep, you have to try and go on regardless, absolutely. For me speaking as a mother, the worry is never going to go away until this threat has been dealt with. And I don't see that being anytime soon.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Police say they are prepared if the siege goes on for days. What ????? Please get those poor terrified hostages out asap, even if that means taking out the gunman.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:06 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bit worrying to see all the fire engines.
It makes me wonder if authorities suspect there may be a bomb.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

The longer it goes on, the better chances of a peaceful resolution. Lots of my friends work in the area and are thankfully ok. Our thoughts are with all of those hostages and their families.

If this ends badly and I sincerely hope it doesn't, it'll make the Cronulla race riots look like the teddy bear's picnic.

Looks like something is going on in Belguim now!

Last edited by Tr1boy; Dec 15th 2014 at 9:17 am.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:30 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
The longer it goes on, the better chances of a peaceful resolution. Lots of my friends work in the area and are thankfully ok. Our thoughts are with all of those hostages and their families.

If this ends badly and I sincerely hope it doesn't, it'll make the Cronulla race riots look like the teddy bear's picnic.

I agree - I think if he was going to kill someone, he would have done it by now.

Fingers crossed for a peaceful resolution.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tr1boy

Wish I had your confidence "the longer it goes on,the better chances of a peaceful resolution". The longer it goes on the more desperate the gunman will become, especially if his demands are not met, and then who knows what he will do. We are talking about Islamic extremists who are willing to die in the name of Allah and take innocent people with them.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Wish I had your confidence "the longer it goes on,the better chances of a peaceful resolution". The longer it goes on the more desperate the gunman will become, especially if his demands are not met, and then who knows what he will do. We are talking about Islamic extremists who are willing to die in the name of Allah and take innocent people with them.
Of course there is that side of it. But if he is completely unhinged ( and I realise he is only about 3 microns away from that) I would have thought when the 5 people escaped he would have done whatever he was going to do then.

Hostages have their mobiles, been given food etc. now he might just be waiting for the right time, but it strikes me that whatever he was going to do has been botched. He's either buying time to consider his options, or he's hoping that by manipulating the media for as long as possible, he can get some sort of indication on what to do next.

If he is a complete nutter with a huge 'grand plan' he's a very patient one.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

He's kept a lot of people for a long time. He's forced a hostage to read out his demands, and the video has been sent to major news stations, including the ABC. He has a brain, and that makes this situation even more terrifying.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 9:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

As a counter to anti-Muslim sentiment, a social media campaign is going gangbusters on Twitter. #I'll ride with you is seeing ordinary people around the country offering to ride on the bus or train with Muslim people who are wary of public reaction at this time, particularly those who wear the clothing of their religion. There are some very good people in the world

#illridewithyou: support for Muslim Australians takes off following Sydney siege - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.