Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's been a long, long time!

It's been a long, long time!

Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's been a long, long time!

Great post, and a long thread to start reading. Im at work at the moment but I shall read it tonight when I get home.

Thanks for giving us something interesting to read on here.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 2:40 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

I don't think I realised how dangerous the condition was. It was a case of "okay, I have cancer, I'm having an operation to cut it out, I'll be cured and that'll be the end of it". I certainly didn't see it as potentially life-threatening. I tried to delay the surgery until the end of the year when we had a three month break from Uni, but the surgeon said sooner rather than later would be better - and he had a vacancy in his operating schedule next Monday - 5 days away! - so how about he did it then? My mind was still focused on my Uni commitments, but we were only a week away from our semester break. With the following month off, that would mean I had 5 weeks to recuperate, and that was do-able, surely?
I didn't have time to think about it too much. There were 2 x 3,500 word assignments to write, clean clothes for a week for M. and ML, food to buy, my part-time boss to advise, arrangements to be made with a neighbour to supervise ML both before and after school. This was my main worry; M. had become so irresponsible and unreliable that I couldn't trust my daughter's welfare to him. I was concerned that he wouldn't make sure she was fed and ready for school in the mornings or that he would'nt come home to cook a meal in the evening at a reasonable time. This is the hardest part about being a migrant; when there's no-one who will automatically give help when you need it; when you don't know anyone well enough to turn to them for comfort, support, reassurance and understanding. But 'what can't be cured must be endured', as my Granny used to say; you just have to go on and do the best you can at the time. So I did.
The hospital was a small private one in Cottesloe. I was admitted on the Sunday night and the surgery performed on Monday morning. Their pain-management techniques were wonderful! My first post-op memory is of waking up without pain and discovering from a nurse that it was now Thursday. Although the wound was quite stiff and sore (no keyhole surgery then!) I was not, either then or later, in pain. I was discharged on the following Sunday.
My recovery was quite normal. I was quite weak and walking any distance was difficult, but each day I did a little more, walked a little further and was pleased with my progress. But on the second Friday after my return home, M. came in from work and said that HE'D found my illness very stressful! And since he had holidays due, he'd decided on the spur of the moment to take a week off and to go to Darwin, to see his son. And he was flying out that night. In a very drunken phone call late on the following Wednesday, he told me that he and Mark had decided to go into business together, so he wouldn't be coming back to Perth. Some days later, I found out that he'd been sacked.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I normally inhabit the Canadian forums and happened upon this thread by chance while browsing the Oz forum. I was instantly hooked!

You have an amazing way with words. After a slight panic this evening when I couldn't find this thread I decided that I had to post on it so I would be alerted to each new post!

Thank you for sharing your life with us

God Bless.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:16 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of

Perhaps not surprisingly, my first question was "And what the hell am I supposed to do?" To which the answer was that I had two choices; stay where I was and do the best I could, or sell the car (a small 12-year-old beaten-up Fiat), everything I couldn't carry and use the money to buy plane tickets to Darwin for ML and me - and the phone was slammed down.
I knew he hadn't liked the changes which being at Uni had made in me. The biggest was that I no longer made excuses for him to myself; no longer did I believe that he was a sick man who would recover, given unlimited amounts of patience, tolerance and TLC. I'd also stopped fooling myself that if I were a 'better' wife, lover, companion, cook, housewife, our marriage would become all I'd hoped and intended it to be, and I refused to accept the guilt and responsibility for the fact that it wasn't. No longer could he provoke me to anger or bully me into tears; I'd become emotionally remote and he resented it. But this - to force me away from something I so dearly loved, at a time when I was physically and financially at my most vulnerable - this showed a depth of malice beyond anything I'd thought even him capable of doing. For he knew darned well that the 'choice' he'd presented was really no choice. The rent on the unit was more than ny student allowance and even if I'd been well enough to go back to work - which I wasn't - my part-time earnings weren't enough to support two of us.
I sold the car to a neighbour at the first price he offered, packed clothes into two small suitcases, called a second-hand dealer who stripped the place of everything that wasn't nailed down - for a pittance - and booked ML and myself into a motel near the airport for a couple of days before we could get on a flight to Darwin.
Old Sep 24th 2005, 3:57 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Perhaps not surprisingly, my first question was "And what the hell am I supposed to do?" To which the answer was that I had two choices; stay where I was and do the best I could, or sell the car (a small 12-year-old beaten-up Fiat), everything I couldn't carry and use the money to buy plane tickets to Darwin for ML and me - and the phone was slammed down.
I knew he hadn't liked the changes which being at Uni had made in me. The biggest was that I no longer made excuses for him to myself; no longer did I believe that he was a sick man who would recover, given unlimited amounts of patience, tolerance and TLC. I'd also stopped fooling myself that if I were a 'better' wife, lover, companion, cook, housewife, our marriage would become all I'd hoped and intended it to be, and I refused to accept the guilt and responsibility for the fact that it wasn't. No longer could he provoke me to anger or bully me into tears; I'd become emotionally remote and he resented it. But this - to force me away from something I so dearly loved, at a time when I was physically and financially at my most vulnerable - this showed a depth of malice beyond anything I'd thought even him capable of doing. For he knew darned well that the 'choice' he'd presented was really no choice. The rent on the unit was more than ny student allowance and even if I'd been well enough to go back to work - which I wasn't - my part-time earnings weren't enough to support two of us.
I sold the car to a neighbour at the first price he offered, packed clothes into two small suitcases, called a second-hand dealer who stripped the place of everything that wasn't nailed down - for a pittance - and booked ML and myself into a motel near the airport for a couple of days before we could get on a flight to Darwin.
Oh no!!!! You must have been so furious, what on earth happened next?

Carmen.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Nightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really niceNightmair is just really nice

Please carry on with your story; I've been waiting far too long for the next installment. When are you bringing out the book?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:16 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

C'mon Crone.......we're all waitin with baited breath and I've got me popcorn out ready

Anyone want some
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
C'mon Crone.......we're all waitin with baited breath and I've got me popcorn out ready

Anyone want some
I'll have some popcorn - sweet not salt tho !! None of that toffee stuff either - I do like it but last time it chipped my filling - cost a fortune to put right !!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 12:46 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ohippy
I'll have some popcorn - sweet not salt tho !! None of that toffee stuff either - I do like it but last time it chipped my filling - cost a fortune to put right !!
OK....I'll suck it till all the toffee comes off and I'll give ya the soggy bits

We had salt popcorn at the dolphin show on the Gold Coast.

I thought it would be that nice bright blue or pink stuff that's reet sweet and really bad for you

I got a reet shock that it was that reet crappy salty stuff

Took a reet big gobfull I did

YUK....I was gippin and gippin.... and reet embarrased mesen I did
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

BillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant futureBillBart1 has a brilliant future

Just a little concerned The Crone has not been on for a while...

Anyone know if she is ok?

Bill
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:14 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah me too.!!!

What a fantastic thread
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
Yeah me too.!!!

What a fantastic thread
Hi , she is ok, i have had email, but i will ring her just to check ,i will let you know. Denise
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:49 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi , she is ok, i have had email, but i will ring her just to check ,i will let you know. Denise
Glad to hear she is ok...thank you Denise
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
Glad to hear she is ok...thank you Denise
Been in touch , and she will be back on in a couple of weeks, she is good, Denise
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

aussiesoon will become famous soon enough

This is addictive. Just bumping it to the top again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.