Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Its becoming a dilemma for us

Its becoming a dilemma for us

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its becoming a dilemma for us

Since we put our house on the market back in April/May, we only had a few people showing interest on it, since we have gone multi agent we have so many viewers, and now we have people coming back for second viewing, which up to August we would have been over the moon by the interest been shown on the property.
Now we are having second thought, cause our first child has done so well with he's GCSE, and now taken 4 subject to do he's Level, now we dont know should we stay and let him finish he's A'Level and go to university in London, or take he's chance in OZ.
So confused we dont know what do, any help would be appreciated from parents who have gone through the same dilemma, did you do the right thing by moving them.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its becoming a dilemma for us

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Since we put our house on the market back in April/May, we only had a few people showing interest on it, since we have gone multi agent we have so many viewers, and now we have people coming back for second viewing, which up to August we would have been over the moon by the interest been shown on the property.
Now we are having second thought, cause our first child has done so well with he's GCSE, and now taken 4 subject to do he's Level, now we dont know should we stay and let him finish he's A'Level and go to university in London, or take he's chance in OZ.
So confused we dont know what do, any help would be appreciated from parents who have gone through the same dilemma, did you do the right thing by moving them.

Well I have one boy in the UK and one boy here in SA. I beleive that we made the right choice for them both.

My boy in the UK was finishing his A levels and then movingon to Uni, which he has now done. He's just turned 19 and he is having a ball.

My boy here is 13 and didn't want to come, he was adamant that he was returning as soon as he was 18. Now you'd not get him back to the UK for all the tea in china.

You need to ask him what he wants and go from there. He could always come out for a year and if it doesn't suit he can go back to the UK and sit his A levels at college.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

He's got this far through the UK system that personally (and that's all it is, just my view) I'd let him stay, get his A's and make the most of the (largely) free UK higher education system. How long have you got on your visas and how old are you?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
He's got this far through the UK system that personally (and that's all it is, just my view) I'd let him stay, get his A's and make the most of the (largely) free UK higher education system. How long have you got on your visas and how old are you?

I agree. Let him finish if you can.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

we have only just validate our visa in June, so we have 5 years to go, me I'm old, I say a few days younger than god itself.

university fees are £3000 now here in UK, what sort fee do they charge over there, do you know by any chance?
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

we have only just validate our visa in June, so we have 5 years to go, me I'm old, I say a few days younger than god itself.

university fees are £3000 now here in UK, what sort fee do they charge over there, do you know by any chance?

It depends on if you have PR and which course he does.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
It depends on if you have PR and which course he does.
As it is pretty late here Wendy & the brain has gone dead, what is a PR.
He wants to do a degree in economy.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As it is pretty late here Wendy & the brain has gone dead, what is a PR.
He wants to do a degree in economy.

Permanent Residency.

On a Temporary Visa you will have to pay International Fees, whereas on a Permanent Visa you will only pay domestic fees, which are considerably less.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wendy
Permanent Residency.

On a Temporary Visa you will have to pay International Fees, whereas on a Permanent Visa you will only pay domestic fees, which are considerably less.
Is STNI a permanent visa? well thats what we have.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is STNI a perment visa? well thats what we have.

Yes it is.

Don't know how much courses are, maybe have a look on the Uni SA website in the morning and see.

http://www.unisa.edu.au/

I think you really need to speak to him and see what he wants to do.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 3:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Let him stay and finish it and go to a UK uni too if he wants to.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:10 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

I completely understand your dilema over where your son should do his A levels - we have opted to stay in the uk until our eldest has finished his (he started in spetember so this is a little less than 2 years away for us). We felt that to move him at this stage would be very disruptive and he wasn't really keen on the idea himself (and after all why make the move harder than you have to)

On the other hand I personally think that you should be leaving the choice of univertisy up to your son. After all he will be 18 and he shouldn't need you to make this sort of decision for him.

Our plan is to make the move to oz (visa permitting) for myself, OH and two younger kids once eldest has finished his A levels but it will be up to him to decide if the uk or oz is the place for him. I have already been helping him to find info on universities in both countries and we will give him the same financial support wherever he decides to live but it will be up to him.

Tiggs
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

My son keep saying he's not totally sure, if he wants to come with us or not, but if he decide he stays, he doesn't like the idea of us being so far away from us, so I was wondering is any uni in Oz can match, London School of Economy, Cambridge or Oxford university.
God I hate this, its driving all of us mad.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

My son keep saying he's not totally sure, if he wants to come with us or not, but if he decide he stays, he doesn't like the idea of us being so far away from us, so I was wondering is any uni in Oz can match, London School of Economy, Cambridge or Oxford university.
God I hate this, its driving all of us mad.
As much as I like my new country - I don't think there are any uni's in this country that can get close to the three you've mentioned. If he's truly capable of gaining admission to one of those seats of learning I'd say you should prod him gently in that direction. I don't think there are many students worldwide, let alone the UK, who wouldn't give their right arm to attend LSE, Cambridge or Oxford.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

As much as I like my new country - I don't think there are any uni's in this country that can get close to the three you've mentioned. If he's truly capable of gaining admission to one of those seats of learning I'd say you should prod him gently in that direction. I don't think there are many students worldwide, let alone the UK, who wouldn't give their right arm to attend LSE, Cambridge or Oxford.
Thanks, Hutch, he is very capable, he was chosen as one of top 5% of Gifted pupils in UK, 3 years ago, and he only been doing he's AS Levels for couple of weeks, he's tutor been given him the A' Levels pass papers and he's passing them.
This is why we have dilemma, dont want to mess with he's future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.