Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's awesome here!

It's awesome here!

Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default It's awesome here!

Maybe we have just been lucky, or maybe we just prepared ourselves well, but we think this place is fantastic.

Nearly every day we go down to the beach late afternoon, the kids play on the play areas and we sit gazing at the beach pinching ourselves that we are living in such a stunning place. It is now April and still sunny and 26c- perfect temperature.

Went for a picnic to Currimundi Lake/beach yesterday with some mates we have made ( they moved from Sydney) they think much the same about it here and are happy to be away from the stresses of city living in Sydney.

We have found people so friendly and have made sound friends, mostly Aussies that have moved up from Sydney/Melbourne and an English couple who have been here 5 yrs.

The pluses far outweigh the minuses. In fact the only minus I can think of is being away from family. Fortunately none of us have been pinning or homesick yet and I can't imagine being. There is no way we would want to go back.

My kids are 100% happier and healthier here. They play out on their bikes, go roller blading, cycle to school and have lots of local friends. In England I never let them out of the house on their own!

My teenager loves it here. He says the kids are so friendly and he has made lots of mates. They are teaching him to surf and have nicknamed him 'pommie' which he loves!

I know how negative this site can get, I used to get down many time reading some of the posts. Hopefully this will cheer some of you up that are about to leave.

My only regret is not coming out earlier- in 2 years the house prices have doubled here!!
Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Good on ya!! We feel the same way here in Dural (north West Sydney), and we've been here for 2 years now!

have a happy easter and enjoy

Mandy
Old Apr 11th 2004, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: It's awesome here!

Originally posted by tinaj
Maybe we have just been lucky, or maybe we just prepared ourselves well, but we think this place is fantastic.

Nearly every day we go down to the beach late afternoon, the kids play on the play areas and we sit gazing at the beach pinching ourselves that we are living in such a stunning place. It is now April and still sunny and 26c- perfect temperature.

Went for a picnic to Currimundi Lake/beach yesterday with some mates we have made ( they moved from Sydney) they think much the same about it here and are happy to be away from the stresses of city living in Sydney.

We have found people so friendly and have made sound friends, mostly Aussies that have moved up from Sydney/Melbourne and an English couple who have been here 5 yrs.

The pluses far outweigh the minuses. In fact the only minus I can think of is being away from family. Fortunately none of us have been pinning or homesick yet and I can't imagine being. There is no way we would want to go back.

My kids are 100% happier and healthier here. They play out on their bikes, go roller blading, cycle to school and have lots of local friends. In England I never let them out of the house on their own!

My teenager loves it here. He says the kids are so friendly and he has made lots of mates. They are teaching him to surf and have nicknamed him 'pommie' which he loves!

I know how negative this site can get, I used to get down many time reading some of the posts. Hopefully this will cheer some of you up that are about to leave.

My only regret is not coming out earlier- in 2 years the house prices have doubled here!!

Cant say I pinch myself over the beaches honestly after 2 years (since we moved Vegas to Coast) we barely notice them. but the house prices have been amazing in QLD. Read yesterday 97% is the average house increase in the last 2 years, and Beach stuff has probably gone up twice that amount.

Thing is tho, its still very cheap here compared to Melb and Sydney but everything selling is going to interstate/overseas. We have sold recently to a Pilot a Doctor and a Barrister. Hardly beach bums, big money is pouring in here because they think its got a long way to go yet.

We walk the dog about 1klm from us in Buderim and in the last 2 weeks, 3 houses that were for sale have SOLD stickers on them. Not unusual except not one is even finished yet, 2 are just frames in deep mud after all the rain. People seem to have accepted interest rate rises are not going to go much higher and the ripples of boomtime are creeping in again.

Hanging on to my beachshacks for a fair while yet.
Old Apr 11th 2004, 2:25 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty
Cant say I pinch myself over the beaches honestly after 2 years (since we moved Vegas to Coast) we barely notice them. but the house prices have been amazing in QLD. Read yesterday 97% is the average house increase in the last 2 years, and Beach stuff has probably gone up twice that amount.

Thing is tho, its still very cheap here compared to Melb and Sydney but everything selling is going to interstate/overseas. We have sold recently to a Pilot a Doctor and a Barrister. Hardly beach bums, big money is pouring in here because they think its got a long way to go yet.

We walk the dog about 1klm from us in Buderim and in the last 2 weeks, 3 houses that were for sale have SOLD stickers on them. Not unusual except not one is even finished yet, 2 are just frames in deep mud after all the rain. People seem to have accepted interest rate rises are not going to go much higher and the ripples of boomtime are creeping in again.

Hanging on to my beachshacks for a fair while yet.
C'mon Dotty...show us 'ya tips...

Real estate tips that is...
Old Apr 11th 2004, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Florida_03
C'mon Dotty...show us 'ya tips...

Real estate tips that is...

I'm always puttin me tips on here.

I dont know why they call me negative those who listened to me should be tycoons by now
Old Apr 11th 2004, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

markaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj

Blimy nice to see some postive, I'm not the only one living the dream
Old Apr 11th 2004, 4:03 am
Badge

you're not negative, you are a realist, and you have a brain, and an opinion.

go Dotty

Old Apr 11th 2004, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

leejo is on a distinguished road

Been here a week now. What is the score with supermarket?

They are expensive and have no choice. We have tried Coles and Woolworths. They remind me of your local Spar or Co-op in England.

What is the best supermarket similiar to say Sainsburys?

TV - How many commerical breaks in half hour?

News - More sport than current affairs!!!

Before anyone says 'I am not a wingin pom!'

Just pointing out a few facts.

Anyway bought a car, found an apartment and had first interview.

Cheers

Lee
Old Apr 11th 2004, 7:32 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leejo
Been here a week now.
So where's "here" Lee? Shouldn't you change your location in your profile??
Old Apr 11th 2004, 10:25 am
Leo
Brisbane in early 2004

Leo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I understand it is very annoying.

The best thing is to check what you want to watch and then tape it. Watch at your convenience. Get a VCR that has commercial skip feature - this works great - one press and 30 seconds skipped. The trick is to record at the lowest speed so that you can fast forward a lot faster!!

I worked for me - and I am in the USA!! - keeping the fingers crossed - hope to be in Australia soon.

../Leo

Originally posted by leejo

TV - How many commerical breaks in half hour?

News - More sport than current affairs!!!

Lee
Old Apr 11th 2004, 10:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I admit it, I think I'm enjoying myself again. I won't say I'm completely over the blues, I think it'll take a bit longer yet, but today did throw some reminders at me of why I'm here (apart from having a gorgeous Bloke of course! )

We went up to Noosaville; drove up through beautiful scenery, met up with some old friends of The Bloke who were really lovely - no snide comments about being a Pom, no stupid comments about the weather, just genuine interest and they were so welcoming. even the kids were sweet!
We walked along the riverside, sat outside and had fish and chips for lunch, superb place, nice and relaxed. Best day for a while, and no feelings of homesickness at all.

Bit different from last Easter in windy damp old Brighton.......

Pollyana
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Pollyana
OK, I admit it, I think I'm enjoying myself again. I won't say I'm completely over the blues, I think it'll take a bit longer yet, but today did throw some reminders at me of why I'm here (apart from having a gorgeous Bloke of course! )

We went up to Noosaville; drove up through beautiful scenery, met up with some old friends of The Bloke who were really lovely - no snide comments about being a Pom, no stupid comments about the weather, just genuine interest and they were so welcoming. even the kids were sweet!
We walked along the riverside, sat outside and had fish and chips for lunch, superb place, nice and relaxed. Best day for a while, and no feelings of homesickness at all.

Bit different from last Easter in windy damp old Brighton.......

Pollyana
Poll, we are coming up to the best time of the year, winter, it really is "perfect" weatherwise. Cool nights, fresh mornings and lots of clear sunny days with blue sky, normally hardly any rain for most of winter. It is simply the best time of year to enjoy QLD and people always seem so much more alive and cheerful than in the long hot summer months, you can get right out and enjoy things.

I think anyone would find it hard to not be impressed with QLD in winter, ask the southerners who will arrive here in droves. Cheer up winters here
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:30 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
I think anyone would find it hard to not be impressed with QLD in winter, ask the southerners who will arrive here in droves. Cheer up winters here
Yes, but we've gone all wimpy now after the heat. The pool's too cold in swim in! When we get our own place, I'm definitely having solar heating for the pool.

Jane
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Yes, but we've gone all wimpy now after the heat. The pool's too cold in swim in! When we get our own place, I'm definitely having solar heating for the pool.

Jane
Its cooled down very very early this year, 2 years ago we were still swimming in May, and back in the pool in September, just last year we had 35 degree days by Sept not sure why its so cool this year for March/ April but its great.

We thought of putting heating in our pool but the solar needs to face west and thats the front of our house and we have a silver! roof so you can only imagine all the black solar tubes hanging off it
Old Apr 11th 2004, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Tinaj

Great to hear you are enjoying it so much - all this talk of how good Qld is, is making me think maybe we will not be in Sydney for too long !!!

Easter weekend in UK is cold and grey - same as every year, so no real surprise there. We're still waiting for spring to arrive.

Keep posting when you can. This site needs as many Oz residents as it can get

Off to eat some chocolate eggs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.