Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's all my fault

It's all my fault

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default It's all my fault

I started becoming friends with JayneS on this forum and as we both live in Notts we decided to meet up for afternoon drinks last Friday. I feel totally responsible for plying her with too much alcohol and as a result she fell down the stairs to her flat and broke her arm in two places. (she sent a thread earlier asking questions about this).

I think it must have been a mix of sunshine, afternoon drinks, not much food and my powers of persuasion to have a few cocktails!!!

The very least I can do now is try and help my injured friend who is meant to emigrate in a few weeks.

Does anyone know what will happen if she flys to Oz with a broken arm. She will find out this week whether she needs to have an operation on it to have pins put in :scared:

How does medical support work once in Oz. Will she be able to go to hospital there in order to have follow up appointments or will she have to pay for private care as she broke it in the UK?

She's sat at home worrying about a) whether she'll have to postpone her flight and b) whether she'll have to pay extortion amounts for medical care once she gets there.

Any of you lovely forum members knowledgeable in this matter?

Finally - I'm not usually inclined to get people in such a state - please don't be scared of meeting me at an expat get-together once I arrive in Melbourne!!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:20 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: It's all my fault

Originally Posted by Troood
I started becoming friends with JayneS on this forum and as we both live in Notts we decided to meet up for afternoon drinks last Friday. I feel totally responsible for plying her with too much alcohol and as a result she fell down the stairs to her flat and broke her arm in two places. (she sent a thread earlier asking questions about this).

I think it must have been a mix of sunshine, afternoon drinks, not much food and my powers of persuasion to have a few cocktails!!!

The very least I can do now is try and help my injured friend who is meant to emigrate in a few weeks.

Does anyone know what will happen if she flys to Oz with a broken arm. She will find out this week whether she needs to have an operation on it to have pins put in :scared:

How does medical support work once in Oz. Will she be able to go to hospital there in order to have follow up appointments or will she have to pay for private care as she broke it in the UK?

She's sat at home worrying about a) whether she'll have to postpone her flight and b) whether she'll have to pay extortion amounts for medical care once she gets there.

Any of you lovely forum members knowledgeable in this matter?

Finally - I'm not usually inclined to get people in such a state - please don't be scared of meeting me at an expat get-together once I arrive in Melbourne!!
Definetly no reputation points for you Trood.
I don't think she will have a problem flying though, its not like she had a punctured lung or something where the flying would affect it.
If I were her I'd just make an appointment at her local doctors once she gets here & explain the situation, I'd leave private health as a last resort for now.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

You are so cruel

Fancy sabotaging ( ) her plans like this, just because she was going to get to aus before you !!!!!!

You could offer to pay for any treatment incurred once over there

Wouldn't she be covered under medicare to some extent but to pay the excess ?

Paul.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

I know, I know - I'm a cruel evil person, but this was totally not how our thought our first get together would end. Just glad she didn't break her neck!!

Thanks for your advice - I'll call her later and give her the updates. As long as she can get some medical care upon arrival then I think she'll be happy.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Troood
I know, I know - I'm a cruel evil person, but this was totally not how our thought our first get together would end. Just glad she didn't break her neck!!

Thanks for your advice - I'll call her later and give her the updates. As long as she can get some medical care upon arrival then I think she'll be happy.
Hi Trooooooooooooooooooooooood,

You can take me out and ply me with drink when you get here, we are in a single storey house so I wont be falling down the stairs.

Did I answer all your questions ok, send more if you have any

Andy
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

I have since found footage of trudi on CCTV pusing me down the stairs

It wasnt your fault at all kiddo - a combination of too many afternoon drinks and the electrics tripping out and a million stairs were just too much to negotiate. Have been told by bridge the world it will cost 200 quid to change travel plans if worst case scenario I have to - so not the end of the world!!!