Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Its all doom and gloom

Its all doom and gloom

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Its all doom and gloom

I have lived in Melbourne now for 3 1/2 months and am loving it, although feeling the "I miss my old life" vibes that people have mentioned. No I wouldn't want to move back, but just miss the familiarity of my life as it was. Today for the first time I bought the International Express newspaper. I have not seen it before so thought I would have a read - what doom and gloom! Makes me remember all the reasons we wanted to come to oz. The schools in uk are in crisis,immigration problems, more speed cameras being put on motorways, political correctness gone mad (one village carnival which has been held for a century has now stopped because someone last year launched a claim for compensation), policemen getting murdered, old ladies being mugged, innocent people being locked up for protecting their own property whilst the villains get off.........
The list goes on and on...,
I know stuff does happen in oz but not to the extent in the uk. In an article by Frederick Forsyth he states that Britain (in Europe) is a finished country and he shall advise his sons to leave for Australia! My experience so far is that people are more content and happier over here and its where I would like my children to grow up...
Now I've got that off my chest I will put the paper in the bin and not buy it again!!
Pootle
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:12 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Its all doom and gloom

Originally Posted by Pootle
I have lived in Melbourne now for 3 1/2 months and am loving it, although feeling the "I miss my old life" vibes that people have mentioned. No I wouldn't want to move back, but just miss the familiarity of my life as it was. Today for the first time I bought the International Express newspaper. I have not seen it before so thought I would have a read - what doom and gloom! Makes me remember all the reasons we wanted to come to oz. The schools in uk are in crisis,immigration problems, more speed cameras being put on motorways, political correctness gone mad (one village carnival which has been held for a century has now stopped because someone last year launched a claim for compensation), policemen getting murdered, old ladies being mugged, innocent people being locked up for protecting their own property whilst the villains get off.........
The list goes on and on...,
I know stuff does happen in oz but not to the extent in the uk. In an article by Frederick Forsyth he states that Britain (in Europe) is a finished country and he shall advise his sons to leave for Australia! My experience so far is that people are more content and happier over here and its where I would like my children to grow up...
Now I've got that off my chest I will put the paper in the bin and not buy it again!!
Pootle

I know exactly what you mean. I bought the Daily Record ( a Scottish Newspaper) I'm not sure if its a watered down version for us "Foreighners" or not but I could not find a good cheery sort of story in it.
I found myself reading it a second time just to look for a happy story but nothing but bad news was inside it.
I'm not knocking the UK more the way paper reported things. Surely the could put in one or two stories that were not all bad news, it was pretty depressing reading it & like you Ive never bought it again.

ps thats nothing to do with being a Scot & having to pay $4 for the bloody thing.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't that all newspapers???

The West here is all doom and gloom, maybe a few positive stories (and sport! ), but it's all drugs, attacks, court cases etc etf. Economy going down, shares, interest rates, fuel prices).

That's newspapers, and some are worse than others.

Question is, are we affected by it all?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
But isn't that all newspapers???

The West here is all doom and gloom, maybe a few positive stories (and sport! ), but it's all drugs, attacks, court cases etc etf. Economy going down, shares, interest rates, fuel prices).

That's newspapers, and some are worse than others.

Question is, are we affected by it all?
Yes it is newspapers but they don't just make it all up! As Bordy pointed out it's hard to find a piece of happy news at all and all the murders and assaults that were reported I have definitely not seen on the same scale here in Melbourne. Also the pc, seems you can't do or say anything in uk anymore without someones permission.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:00 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is newspapers but they don't just make it all up! As Bordy pointed out it's hard to find a piece of happy news at all and all the murders and assaults that were reported I have definitely not seen on the same scale here in Melbourne. Also the pc, seems you can't do or say anything in uk anymore without someones permission.

Would you say that the things you mention are doubled trebled in the UK? Cos the population is.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Would you say that the things you mention are doubled trebled in the UK? Cos the population is.
Yes probably - its def getting a bit crowded over there. can't drive anywhere without getting stuck for hours in traffic jams....ah! another reason why we moved
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:11 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes probably - its def getting a bit crowded over there. can't drive anywhere without getting stuck for hours in traffic jams....ah! another reason why we moved

So therefore to be fair if the is tripled the amount of murders, robberies, muggings, traffic jams etc then it is on par with OZ, cos there is some 60 million there and only 20 mill here.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:22 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

So therefore to be fair if the is tripled the amount of murders, robberies, muggings, traffic jams etc then it is on par with OZ, cos there is some 60 million there and only 20 mill here.
I won't be buying an American newspaper then.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Unless you look at it by area. (ie sq km) then you are much more likely to be impacted by it in the UK than you are in Australia.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:41 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Unless you look at it by area. (ie sq km) then you are much more likely to be impacted by it in the UK than you are in Australia.

Unless you ignore the very low population density areas in Australia (the uninhabited)...

Anyway, the press in the UK is generally gloomier than the Australian press. It is also national as opposed opposed to the more regional nature of most of Australia's press and so reports with equal significance events in different parts of the country. Papers like the Courier Mail will lead with "Gran loses her false teeth" before moving on to "More Melburnians shoot each other". Also the population density thing, 60M people in a country 1/30 the size of Australia means that the murder or whatever is going to be closer to where you live.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
But of course you look at it per area, and specific situations(personal situation)

I came from a quite town (in Holland, but that's not the point) and came to a big city, Perth. Perth maybe quite for some from London, big cities, but for me it is big and busy, and I'm more 'affected'(not directly.. yet) by crime.
I see camera's on every station, secure parking lots, security in the trains, mailbox drops about car break ins, warnings about burglaries, the bank I go to daily has 2 camera's inside, 4 outside, sometimes a security gaurd etc etc.

It all depends on personal situation(which exact area you're coming from, which you're going to (and it can vary even between suburbs, let alone cities) if 'crime' is going to be worse for you here or not. And if you are bothered about it. I mean, I experience all of the above, and I be careful, but I'm still happily living my life here.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Right, I'm bored, so I'll analyse The Australian for you (can't find the West at the mo) I'll only ignore the very small articles, maybe.

Front page:
Huge photo of the new pope, + story

Dr Death banned 20 years ago (he was banned in the US, but allowed to work in a QLD hospital!!!)

They'll kill my family if I dob: Bali drug mule (one of the 'bali 9', arrested in Bali for smuggling herion)

Page 2:
Move interstate to skip tax, says Costello (the Tresurer!!) (to protest against some tax thing that WA and NSW won't do, and the Federal goverment are pissed about)

IVF plan 'jeopardises chance to have children'

Diggers off to Sudan War (part of army that just went to Iraq are being sent to Sudan)

Medicare chip to keep check (they're planning to put personal details on chip on medicare card, oohhhh big brother.....)

Page 3
Jones in $14m windfall on float (some rich guy is even richer because something went good on the stockmarket. Who cares, why's this such big news on page 3??)

Ah, some positives:

Rebels steal catwalk march on Fashion Week (oh, but it's all about withdrawal of designers and staging a renegade show?? wierd, who cares)

Boeing finds the roof to go flat-out (they're going to put beds in airplanes!! For economy too!. It will cost of course!!)

El Nino drought risk is at double the odds (change of drought is double this year, great, arghhh!!!! Hmm, but 2/3 of international forecasts say something else...)

Young Turks wear Anzac spirit with pride. ( a positive story)

Page 4
Japanese trade talk hits farm hurdle(japan doesn't want agriculture included in free trade agreement, and may not want one at all)
Rest of page mostly about possible free trade agreements with japan and china.

Page 5
Federal police to quiz the Bali Nine (so they can track down the herion distribution network in Australia, which must exist)

Rest is add and follow on from page 1 about bali 9 and if they dob, their family will be killed.

Page 6
Energy regimes 'a waste'. (policies that improve energy efficiency were a waste of time when electricity price remained low. ??)

Appeal proves costly as paraplegic's payout is upped (court has rejected appeal for $3.2 million payout to women who became paraplegic after wrong diagnosis!!!(at flinders medical centre, SA)

Safety on the line in illegal hostels (dodgy backpackers hostels)

Bribery claims rubbish (about some politician who maybe took a bribe, of course he'll say it's rubbish. Vic parlement don't think so)

Fatal mistake of an 'excellent fella' (someone pulled gun at police when they came for a domestic dispute. He was killed by police)

Privacy no aid to pedophiles (Aussie federal police passing on info about them to overseas, only if they're deemed a particular risk. And they could be breaching privacy acts)

Dr Death first banned in US 20 years ago (follow on from page 1)

Wave of complaints subvert health system (the Dr Death scandal has triggered lots of others to complain in QLD. Another 50 complaints about neglicence, only half relating to Dr Death.)

Page 7: The world
No mercy as Iraqi soldiers excecuted
Pressure on China to float currency
Bolton in doubt as vote on UN post stalled
Bush tell's it straight:Lebanon must be set free
Rice's democracy lecture
Smokers lose 5 years (report from London, risks far greater than most people recgonise)
Mexican gaffe puts heat on Arnie (schwarznegger)

Page 8: The World
Turmoil in ITay as PM say's he'll quit
Abbas feeds media in quest for understanding
Aid groups running Afganistan: minister
Scandal pushing Canada to polls
Killer flu recovered
It's our way or no way on nuclear talks: Iran
EU panders with France ahead of vote.

Page 9:
huge photo of pope(3/4), with article

Page 10, 11
all pope stories

Page 12: Letters
ABout pope and bali 9.

Page 13: Opinion
Beijings power play a warning to the region
Prefect takes up the reigns (pope)
Drug ban's downside (bali 9)
Howard's health inflation hurts the poorest (goverment encourages doctors to charge more for more services)

Page 14:
On the trail of Docter Death

And then all the extra's.

No murders etc, but then you'll find them in the local papers, don't worry about that
And I wonder if today is an exeption, with all those pages on the pope! :scared:

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 4:30 am
The Godfather

Well I'll send you Karma for doing that.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:39 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Ok, found the West. Oh this is fun And I read the paper properly for once!!
Btw, some might think, why is she doing this, it's all online. Well, I don't believe it's all online. And not that many people read it online anyway!

Front page:

The barbaric bid to lock away Shapelle (red letters, black background)
Life and Death (huge black letters) Shattered Corby declares: My life is now over (she hasn't actually been convicted yet, there's even still closing statements to come)

Distraught parents fly into nightmare (Bali 9, heroin smuggling).

Page 2: Inside cover (always a bit lighthearted)
Patient survey sent to dead woman (st john of god hospital)
We hear (sport stuff)
Spotted
Sexperts unite (sexpo and gynocology society meeting both at same time in May in convention centre)
Fuel watch

Page 3
Thrill kills at the click of a mouse (website that allows hunters to shoot animals in Texas. ???!!!)

WA author on Franklin shortlist (Gail Jones, novel Sixty Lights)

Uni student dept forecast to soar to $825m a year (!!! oh, yes, good oppertunities for kids here in Aus, they have to borrow though!!! )

Page 4:
Compromise tax deal would cost WA $200m (drop some taxes in exchange for gst payments, federal and state goverments fighting about this I believe)

Minister smells rat in Costello's motives (as I said, yes, fighting )

Tax tip is tarot and trick over carrot and stick (same story)

Page 5:
Ripper asks for extra $750 m (wa treasurer needs more money to fund all the election promises)

Minister plays big hand in tax row (same again)

Alert on missing woman (someone missing from Albany for 2 months, was planning to go to Karratha, (why????!!))

Page 6:
WA liberals reject Howard's IR grab (industrial relations regime)

Criminal charges for Burkett (a corrupt politician, town planning etc stuff)

Page 7:
Killer has victim video (murderer(sex killer) shows inmates at Casuarina prison police tapes with footage of the naked body of Lalita Horsman. !!!!!!!!!!)

Stab charges against cafe worker(mr Cotton) upgraded (stabbing at Mt Pleasant cafe on weekend). Two 17yo's charged with aggravated burglary over same incident.
Mr Cotton confronted a group outside who were urinating on building. They then followed him back in and attacked him, and Mr Cotton grabbed a knife and stabbed the 18yo.

Crewman injured in sea drama (burned and thrown into ocean after explosion)

Amputee boy's hand gets moving (the kid that lots both arms and a leg, (2 arms reatached) when doing a dunk on basketball ring)

Page 8 and 9:
Pope stuff

Page 10:
Don't be quick to judge (brother of hanged drug runner pleads for calm on 'live or die' debate on Bali heroin accused)
Emotional parents in jail visit (from page 1)

Page 11:
Dealer's decision to sue alerts police (drugs etc)

Travel curb on man in 'rape' row (chinese student accused of rape was allowed to keep his passport, but had travel restrictions)

Pipe workers blamed for river sewarage spill (huge sewerage spill in Swan River due to human error)

Page 12:
AFP (police) targets pill-supply ring in raids (raids in Perth for international drug traffic ring, no charges laid yet)

Packing Room gives a bloke a chance (artist wins prize)

Page 13:
Girls tell of disgust at Walsham attack (About alleged murder victim, who is alledged to have been attacked at Stirling train station, and thrown off footbridge, by 4 guys in 1998, big trial now on, has been in news all week).

Youths admit to attacks on train station (about two vicious attacks on International students at Carlisle train station. Two have admitted to it are 16 and 14. They punched and kicked the students on the ground, and one was thrown on the tracks. Three days earlier one of them was involved in the attack and robery of a Japanese girl, who was punched to the ground. Police have charged more people too.

Page 14:
Jacko was 'aroused' with boy

Page 16:
Fish, nuts cut future cancer risk

Put sausages on danger list, say US researchers

WA house prices beat falling trend (increased 5.7 % in last 3 months)

Page 17:
Embryo testing finally given the green light
Aussie dies in Baghdad attack

Page 18: Opinion
No one gains from pointless row on tax

Hanky-panky and the art of haggling

Life sentence for Shapelle barbaric

Page 19:
Debate centrals on fiscal control (the tax stuff again)

Page 21: Letters
Anzac day, bali 9, one-vote one value, tax stuff, shires dumping recycable waste at local rubbish tips!!(apparently major company that used to proces it, closed), major supermarkets should be boycotted if they're going to phasing out smaller brands, brightening up city and northbridge, stamp duties, rising fuel costs, cookie monster eating less cookies, Aussie film 3 dollars, free trade agreement, river tragedy(Swan poisoned by human occupation(algae that feeds off human waste has taken over river, ehhwweee!!!!)), ATM's not giving money, and bank not to keen on giving money back.

Page 22: start of World section
ITalian PM on ropes after crisis
Page 24:
Iranians sign on for suicide bomb attacks
Page 26:
End of road for Ecuador leader
Rise of an army colonel
small stuff

Page 27:
Train trip ends in carnage
Judge gives weary juror wake-up call
Arnie blunders on border
Five children die in US home fire

Page 28:
Saudis wonder at point of vote

Page 30:
Rebels strike Phillipine peace deal
Court finds Nemo claim fishy

Page 31
Hitler chose quiet town to be nazi's British HQ.
Lots of 'in brief' articles

Page 32: Aussie news again
Firm rejects union's claim writ a bluff

Page 33:
Double murder accused in court (Margret river man killed his mother and half sister in March)
Net phone laws put on hold

Page 34:OVerseas and local
Angel killed by bomber (afganistan, 2001)
Fire service must change, warns chief (claims of systematic flaws in operations and managementof fire and emergency services authority (FESA))

Bid to get sole parents working (goverment is trying new strategy to get people of welfare)

Couple a shining example of true love

Page 36: News: In the courts (who is appearing when in which court)

Page 37:
Kizon, bikies, vow to fight charges (major incident in Nightclub in Perth in January, a shooting and a stabbing, involving bikies and other gangs)

Academic tips big fall in abortions (abortion rate set to half as morning after pill becomes more widely available)

Page 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 all Business
National and International

Page 46: Weather! Hey, positive news at last! It's going to rain(and did rain a tiny bit yesterday), today(late) and tomorrow! yeehaa!

Rest is sport, ads, extra's.

Phew, now I better get back to work!!! Eek!!
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:11 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

In an article by Frederick Forsyth he states that Britain (in Europe) is a finished country and he shall advise his sons to leave for Australia!
Frederick Forsyth is a well known Right wing reactionary bigot and writer of fiction.

He is also a staunch supporter of the Tory party and vehemently anti-labour.

I would take what he says with a huge pinch of salt

Especially as there is an election looming.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.