Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Items less than 12 months old, shipping/duty

Items less than 12 months old, shipping/duty

Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:54 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Question Items less than 12 months old, shipping/duty

Hi everyone

We will have some stuff in our shipment less than 12 months old. It is mostly baby equipment and clothing, but also breadmaker and similar bits received as Christmas presents, and some second hand items. In all these things would constitute a couple of boxes in a 40ft container
I have seen suggestions that you only have to declare items of high value, and our chosen shippers seem to think that you only need to declare anything you intend to sell on.
I am not convinced though, and wonder if they are just trying to make their own lives easier. Is there a specific customs form you have to fill in with this information, and if so does anyone remember what is asked exactly?

Thanks in anticipation

Kirsty
Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:21 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Items less than 12 months old, shipping/duty

Don't tell them! Simple. Job done. They are not going to know if it is 11 months and 360 days old or over a year old or whatever. We even had stuff in our shipment that was still boxed new.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

Originally posted by HUP
Don't tell them! Simple. Job done. They are not going to know if it is 11 months and 360 days old or over a year old or whatever. We even had stuff in our shipment that was still boxed new.
so did we! lots of new tools still boxed, even our new pine bed still in wrappers! we thought, if they pull us - fair enough, but nothing was ever said. some of the boxes had been opened as when we received them they'd been taped up again, but we were'nt required or asked to make any further payments.
karen
Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Definitely don't declare them!!We sent a newish PC and Dvd and other stuff and our container has just been passed for delivery with no extra charges.
I don't think they are bothered if you have a few things, rather if you are trying to profit from selling things on.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 11:58 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kirsty&al
Hi everyone

We will have some stuff in our shipment less than 12 months old. It is mostly baby equipment and clothing, but also breadmaker and similar bits received as Christmas presents, and some second hand items. In all these things would constitute a couple of boxes in a 40ft container
I have seen suggestions that you only have to declare items of high value, and our chosen shippers seem to think that you only need to declare anything you intend to sell on.
I am not convinced though, and wonder if they are just trying to make their own lives easier. Is there a specific customs form you have to fill in with this information, and if so does anyone remember what is asked exactly?

Thanks in anticipation

Kirsty
general items , like this don,t attract much attention , thr problems occur when we open boxes and find 7 laptops of an expensive brand, [in oz] an nothing on the b534 declaration, ....please explain???..............MM
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies.

What is a B534, does it specifically ask for info about all new items. I have to say I am not averse to sins of omission, but baulk at an outright lie!
Is there anyone out there who did declare and if so how much were you charged/was duty payable on everything?

Best wishes, Kirsty
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 2:40 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies.

What is a B534, does it specifically ask for info about all new items. I have to say I am not averse to sins of omission, but baulk at an outright lie!
Is there anyone out there who did declare and if so how much were you charged/was duty payable on everything?

Best wishes, Kirsty
The B534 ,is the unaccompanied effects document ,that you will have to fill out when your goods ,are being packed. Your mover should have them . read more here www.customs.gov.au ........ MM
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We filled in the document mentioned above, and at the part where it asks you to declare goods under 12 months old, we wrote something like this: "There are several toys and other small items which are less than 12 months old, having been purchased by relatives as Christmas and birthday presents for us and the children; however the value combined is less than £500 and as they were presents we don't have receipts." We never had to pay any duty.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 4:26 pm

Default Items less than 12 months old, shipping/duty

Thanks Jacqui, do you mind if I copy that :-)

Kirsty
Old Mar 4th 2004, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free! Just hope you don't get your document read by a customs officer having a bad hair day! Our packages were inspected too, incidentally, you could see where the parcel tape had been sliced through, and fresh tape used to reseal, just in case you were wondering what are the chances of having your belongings looked at.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 8:06 am

Originally posted by Jacqui Our packages were inspected too, incidentally, you could see where the parcel tape had been sliced through, and fresh tape used to reseal, just in case you were wondering what are the chances of having your belongings looked at.
Thanks, I was assuming that at least some of the boxes would be opened. We have been going through everything looking for 'contreband' and it's amazing what you find. Lots of obvious things like pine cones in Christmas decorations, but also dried flowers between the pages of books (my Mum's speciality), Chinese pictures made out of beans and other odd bits. I was rather sad to give away my fine collection of straw hats too. Never mind, I guess I can have fun replacing them.

Regards, Kirsty
Old Mar 4th 2004, 9:27 am
Banned

Thanks, I was assuming that at least some of the boxes would be opened. We have been going through everything looking for 'contreband' and it's amazing what you find. Lots of obvious things like pine cones in Christmas decorations, but also dried flowers between the pages of books (my Mum's speciality), Chinese pictures made out of beans and other odd bits. I was rather sad to give away my fine collection of straw hats too. Never mind, I guess I can have fun replacing them.

Regards, Kirsty
do your selves a big favour and label the boxes that AQIS are going to be interested in. any food items , shoes ,xmas decs, garden shed, camping gear , wooden ornaments. if you do this ,your shipment gets smooth and quick processing......:lecture: ............... MM
Old Mar 4th 2004, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Its amazing isn't it, how much Cain, bamboo, wicker etc we all own, as for the Christmas potpourri I recycle every year! Desperately hoping that I won’t be using it this year and binning it when we pack.

Tracey.