Itchy Feet

Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Itchy Feet

really one for the long termers.

I've moved from Uk to Singapore and now here.

Prior to that I worked for a little while in France, and also had regular assignments to Switzerland and Israel.

I'vebeen here over 2 years now and (as I mentioned on another post) I think I'm starting to get a bit twitchy.
Its either that I have an unfulfilled desire to travel ...or Australia is actually a bit dull (geez I could be in for it here).
Now don't take this the wrong way, but if you remove the scenery, which is undeniably superb I'm starting to think that Sydney is a bit small and lifeless.

When I was in Singapore one of the locals I knew said he worked for another English fella who went to Sydney but returned to Singapore because he got bored. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but now I'm not so sure.

Now please don;t lets get into a "England is better than/Aus is better than" snore fest. I just wondered if others have experienced similar emotions.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:51 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The Wanderlust - you've either got it or you ain't.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 5:54 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Itchy Feet

Originally posted by RichS

Prior to that I worked for a little while in France, and also had regular assignments to Switzerland and Israel.

I'vebeen here over 2 years now and (as I mentioned on another post) I think I'm starting to get a bit twitchy.
Its either that I have an unfulfilled desire to travel ...or Australia is actually a bit dull (geez I could be in for it here).
Now don't take this the wrong way, but if you remove the scenery, which is undeniably superb I'm starting to think that Sydney is a bit small and lifeless.

When I was in Singapore one of the locals I knew said he worked for another English fella who went to Sydney but returned to Singapore because he got bored. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but now I'm not so sure.

Now please don;t lets get into a "England is better than/Aus is better than" snore fest. I just wondered if others have experienced similar emotions.
Single? Then you're just a bit quicker than most Poms. Nothing like kids to resign one to one's fate.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:05 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I just wondered if others have experienced similar emotions.

Been here about 20 months on 4 yr visa. Wouldn't mind trying out the US next, we'll see.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

actually I've done all the above whilst married and with an expanding family.
Not sure that the wife isn;t also getting abit twitchy - her career a good deal more portable than mine.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

2 outa 3 kids are twitching

Wife twitchy some days others resigned.

Me, reading this must be V twitchy.

If moves like this did not come with such complications think it would be see ya later time.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 6:45 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Those pelican children http://sites.micro-link.net/zekscrab/KingLear.html become a temporary millstone or at least an anchor
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:25 am
wombat42

Is this guy on valium or something if he thinks Sydney is boring compared to Singapore, a police state where they fine or lock
up anyone that does'nt behave like a robot, l read a story that the police there hand out fines for couples holding hands in public , they think its indecent behaviour.

Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but it's all relative (as they say in Tasmania and SA ). If you're not really into the 4Bs - beaches, bush, BBQs and bloody sport - Sydney does not have a huge amount to offer in the long term. In the end we did find Sydney dull compared with London, Paris, NY. Perhaps a better way of putting is that Sydney is comparable in mentality to a large country town in UK.
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think you will ever settle or want to settle? How does the family feel?
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:48 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by wombat42
Is this guy on valium or something if he thinks Sydney is boring compared to Singapore, a police state where they fine or lock
up anyone that does'nt behave like a robot, l read a story that the police there hand out fines for couples holding hands in public , they think its indecent behaviour.
Try it here with the wife's best friend.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

wombat - no I'm not on valium. In fact I was repeating something said to me when I did live in Singapore.

I think the rest of your post spoke volumes about your knowledge of the place so we'll leave it at that.

BP - kids are pre school so not such an issue there. Wife sometimes hints she too might be up for a change of scenery (and I don't think she's meaning me there)
Old Jul 30th 2004, 1:18 am
Banned

wombat - no I'm not on valium. In fact I was repeating something said to me when I did live in Singapore.

I think the rest of your post spoke volumes about your knowledge of the place so we'll leave it at that.

BP - kids are pre school so not such an issue there. Wife sometimes hints she too might be up for a change of scenery (and I don't think she's meaning me there)
The long away looks usually surface when the Pom SydneySider finds no further attraction to Barrington Tops
Old Jul 30th 2004, 1:33 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

what took you so long to get itchy feet? lol
Have you thought of china?
I know a few people who have been there.. and they loved it.Not what they expected at all. Totally different from people in Sing. More ..how do I say this.. ( got to watch my words or I may upset some) .. down to earth.

Before we came here, we were offered a few options.. Australia, Thailand, China or Scotland.. I fancied china at the time, but hubby wanted to get back to a "western" normality... wrong move ..lol. My gawd it's boring here compared to Asia. Asia gets into your blood. Don't know what it is about it.
I wouldn't go back to Singapore though again.. I remember we were totally P8ssed off with it at the end.... to do with the "slow" standards in work.. how can I put this without saying it .. it was hard getting work out of some people .. i.e. they can just walk into another job, and didn't ( or basically couldn't) put the same amount effort into keeping a job. Their standards/workmanship were lower. One of our friends used to employ his people from Thailand as they were more willing to work. He actually used to run a company in Thailand, came down to Sing to set up there.. couldn't get any decent workers.. so he sent for his old workers from Thailand, which had been with him for years, and still are..

I certainly miss Asia, the travelling, Malaysia on the doorstep.. the people, the wildlife, the scenery everything.. can't really put it into words. I once travelled by train (s) up to Thailand , usually I flew there ( I hate flying.. so thought I'd take the train instead)... two and a half days later !! Lol ... one of the train conked out somewhere in Malaysia, a little village in the middle of nowhere .. .. what an experience. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.. even when the police with guns came bursting on the train, walking up and down the aisles, at the border of thailand ( rice smuggling apparently)...The kind toilet attendent/cleaner taught me some more Malay swear words that I didn't already know( I thought I knew most of them .lol).. people are so very helpful. I flew back lol

Maybe Wombatboy is worried about an intimate relationship with another man in Sing lol. ( I swear he's stuck in a room somewhere and doesn't get out much.. he seems to know as much about Singapore as he does the UK, or Aus)

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 30th 2004 at 2:00 am.
Old Jul 30th 2004, 1:54 am
Wombat42

Originally posted by Ceri
    > what took you so long to get
itchy feet? lol
    > Have you thought of china?
    > I know a few people who
have been there.. and they loved it.Not what they expected at all.
Totally different from people in Sing. More how do I say this.. ( got to
watch my words or I may upset some) .. down to earth.
    >
    > Before we
came here, we were offered a few options.. Australia, Thailand, China or
Scotland.. I fancied china at the time, but hubby wanted to get back to
a "western" normality... wrong move ..lol. My gawd it's boring here
compared to Asia. Asia gets into your blood. Don't know what it is about
it.
    > I wouldn't go back to Singapore though again.. I remember we were
totally P8ssed off with it at the end.... to do with the "slow"
standards in work.. how can I put this without saying it .. it was hard
getting work out of some people .. i.e. they can just walk into another
job, and didn't ( or basically couldn't) put the same amount effort into
keeping a job. Their standards/workmanship were lower. One of our
friends used to employ his people from Thailand as they were more
willing to work. He actually used to run a company in Thailand, came
down to Sing to set up there.. couldn't get any decent workers.. so he
sent for his old workers from Thailand, which had been with him for
years, and still are..
    >
    > I certainly miss Asia, the travelling,
Malaysia on the doorstep.. the people, the wildlife, the scenery
everything.. can't really put it into words. I once travelled by train
(s) up to Thailand , usually I flew there ( I hate flying.. so thought
I'd take the train instead)... two and a half days later !! Lol ... one
of the train conked out somewhere in Malaysia, a little village in the
middle of nowhere .. .. what an experience. Thoroughly enjoyed myself..
even when the police with guns came bursting on the train, walking up
and down the aisles, at the border of thailand ( rice smuggling
apparently)...The kind toilet attendent/cleaner taught me some more
Malay swear words that I didn't already know( I thought I knew most of
them .lol).. people are so very helpful. I flew back lol
    >
    > Maybe
Wombatboy is worried about an intimate relationship with another man in
Sing lol. ( I swear he's stuck in a room somewhere and doesn't get out
much.. he seems to know as much about Singapore as he does the UK, or
Aus)

l'm not worried about an intimate relationship with
another man,
but your friendship with the thai toilet cleaner on the
train seems
a bit suspect to me.

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.