Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Issues that make you want to leave England

Issues that make you want to leave England

Old Dec 23rd 2002, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Issues that make you want to leave England

Thought it would be interesting for us to write about the things that have turned England into an awful place to live.

Lets all have a good moan about it together, before we kiss it goodbye.

TONY BLAIR - wake up and listen to the people, policies are useless , cabinet are duff , stealth taxes are through the roof and the country has been turned into a free-for-all. Come to England and we will give you money, a council flat and permission to work, while the Brits get b****r all!!

Royal Family- going down the pan fast, can't see Charles ever taking the throne, certainly not William, how can they restrain themselves from all the modern temptations of life. Things have changed too much for the Royals to continue.

Now you have a turn, I could go on for hours!!

Tina
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Issues that make you want to leave England

Too many people, cars on the road, traffic jams, lack of parking spaces in towns/cities.

Trapped in the rat race. Need good salary to live anywhere decent, can't take risks, and can't see an end in sight...

Mash...

Originally posted by tinaj
Thought it would be interesting for us to write about the things that have turned England into an awful place to live.

TONY BLAIR - wake up and listen to the people, policies are useless , cabinet are duff , stealth taxes are through the roof and the country has been turned into a free-for-all. Come to England and we will give you money, a council flat and permission to work, while the Brits get b****r all!!

Royal Family- going down the pan fast, can't see Charles ever taking the throne, certainly not William, how can they restrain themselves from all the modern temptations of life. Things have changed too much for the Royals to continue.

Tina
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 8:07 pm
Ev'n'John

Tina
South West Trains!
Forced into paying nearly £2000 a year for the pleasure of commuting less than 20 miles into central London crammed into a carriage with my nose jammed into someone else's armpit; stuck on Waterloo Station night after night, never knowing if my train will turn up late or not at all.
Aaargh!

Old Dec 23rd 2002, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

pamcorry is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the litter, the lack of respect people have for one another and never mind the bloody awful weather!
How much does it cost to say please, thank you or even hello? Obviously too much ......
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Tina
OK - here goes... Things I DON'T MISS ABOUT LIVING NEAR SOUTHAMPTON:

Having to pay £200,000 for a 3 bed terrace house with sod all garden
and the neighbours praying 5 times a day to Allah or whoever

Sitting in a traffic jam for 45 minutes to travel 2 miles to work.

Not being able to move to another local area because the children wouldn't get a place in the school (even if you live in the "catchment area".

Seeing all the job ads in the Southampton Echo for teachers who "must have Urdu or Punjabi as main language" to teach in local schools.

Not being able to sit down and watch TV in the evenings without wondering whether a brick will come flying through the lounge window.

Seeing first-class teachers resigning through the stress of having to "perform" to Tony Blair's utterly ridiculous targets, leaving the children with supply teachers who can't control the kids.

I could go on for hours as well!!! I know the above probably comes across as being very Xenophobic - it did when I re-read it, but that's not how I am. I just believe in the "When in Rome" scenario. If people want to live in England, then they should accept and embrace the English culture wholeheartedly.

Mind you, there are some things I DO miss: Watched Carols from Kings on the TV last night - made me realise I miss the History, Heritage, Culture etc. of England. Mind you, there'll be bugger-all of that left soon I expect...

Also do miss the English sense of humour - Aussies don't, in general, have one!
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 11:26 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Tina
I don't miss all the English whingers.
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooeerr, got caught up in the festive spirit ?
Not like you to be so brief..

Merry Christmas
Mash..

Originally posted by Herman
I don't miss all the English whingers.
Old Dec 24th 2002, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

We left the UK to live in Perth 6 months ago. Rather than whinging, I thought I would make some comparisons!

I do like the cleanliness / freshness of Perth. I remember just before we left the UK driving up from Bournemouth to see friends who lived in Oxford, travelling up the A34 and feeling disgusted at the amount of rubbish lying on the verges, miles of rubbish - drink cans, plastic bags, fast food rubbish, sofas(!), dumped cars (not just on the A34!!) etc etc.

I also like getting a parking space near the shops in Perth (free parking), especially having 2 young children. Trips to our local market town back in the UK were horrendous. A simple trip to the bank to meant parking several streets away (because of the double yellows outside the bank), paying 50p parking for 1/2 hour, walking on a narrow path with heavy traffic a few feet away, clutching 2 grumpy children, usually raining, breathing in exhaust fumes, etc etc. YUK!

We went away for the weekend during the school holidays (October), a 2 / 3 hour drive south of Perth took us to pristine beaches, unspoiled landscape, no crowds, clean, comfortable accommodation. Last year we booked a caravan holiday in Cornwall during the UK school summer holidays. We eventually arrived in Newquay after a 6 hour drive from Bournemouth. The accommodation was disgusting, damp / mildew seating, stained beds (!), smoke stained ceilings - I demanded a refund from the site manager and we left immediately with 2 crying children, another 5 hour drive. After a few days at home (recovering) we ended up having a decent holiday in France!

Unfortunately it's uncomfortable living the UK, particularly the south of England, you end up staying at home because you don't want to face the traffic, poor accommodation & service.

There are many other more serious issues - in the UK political correctness is out of control. Australian's may have heard of political correctness but they don't comply! The Australian Government keep good border controls, why can't the UK do the same? It's not racist, it's sensible - the UK population is approx. 60 million people, the country is under too much pressure yet no government will say enough is enough.

Mmmm, don't feel so homesick now....
Old Dec 24th 2002, 7:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kath
e
I do like the cleanliness / freshness of Perth. I remember just before we left the UK driving up from Bournemouth to see friends who lived in Oxford, travelling up the A34 and feeling disgusted at the amount of rubbish lying on the verges, miles of rubbish - drink cans, plastic bags, fast food rubbish, sofas(!), dumped cars (not just on the A34!!) etc etc.
What about lorry driver's piss bottles? do you know what I'm on about?Once you see one you see loads!

If you travel around Australia though, you'll see plenty of roadside litter, mainly smashed stubby bottles and many, many dead 'roos in various stages of decomposition. It bloody stinks.

Dan
Old Dec 24th 2002, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mashiraz
Too many people, cars on the road, traffic jams, lack of parking spaces in towns/cities.

Trapped in the rat race. Need good salary to live anywhere decent, can't take risks, and can't see an end in sight...

Mash...
I had to work last sunday afternoon in east malling in kent.Ilive in essex ,which meant Ihad to cross the dartford crossing .It was clear southbound but was closed norhbound with m25 traffic at a standstill.Several hrs later it was still blocked(Iheard later that it was blocked from the m11 to the m20 some 20 miles or so)and Ihad to head towards london to the blackwall tunnel which had a queue of several miles which took bloody ages.With these delays not unusual how many people get sick of this.All you hear from politicians here is falling population we need to open our borders.Get real!THERE`S ALREADY FAR TO MANY PEOPLE HERE!Those of us who see trouble coming wish to migrate to places with space and a little hope for the future.
Old Dec 24th 2002, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jockney
I had to work last sunday afternoon in east malling in kent.Ilive in essex ,which meant Ihad to cross the dartford crossing .It was clear southbound but was closed norhbound with m25 traffic at a standstill.Several hrs later it was still blocked(Iheard later that it was blocked from the m11 to the m20 some 20 miles or so)and Ihad to head towards london to the blackwall tunnel which had a queue of several miles which took bloody ages.With these delays not unusual how many people get sick of this.All you hear from politicians here is falling population we need to open our borders.Get real!THERE`S ALREADY FAR TO MANY PEOPLE HERE!Those of us who see trouble coming wish to migrate to places with space and a little hope for the future.
Hello,

Sounds about right to me,

Merry Chrismas.
Old Dec 30th 2002, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Issues that make you want to leave England

Have just been reading all the replies to your message and I am sorry to say it is all true and then some. I live in a fairly small town near Northampton and love it, I was born here, have grown up here, met my wife here, raised kids here, and can't wait to get out of here. Don't get me wrong I would love to spend the rest of my days in this town but for the fact that the whole country is headind for an explosion.

Its sad to think that what you have worked hard for is worth nothing because you can't enjoy it. Most people drive 200 yards to the shops because its raining or cold.

If you have an illness you have to wait three weeks to see a doctor, and its not the one you are signed up with.

Friends and family that need housing can't get it because of all the illegals that have to come first.

I would love to say I am proud to be English but I don't know what it means anymore.

Tina