issed off looking for work

issed off looking for work

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Safaet will become famous soon enoughSafaet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: issed off looking for work

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper
Just a thought.....

In a competitive market, you need to offer something different to a prospective employer. Stand out from the rest.

So....

On the basis that you have no job now, why not offer your services for nothing for say 2 weeks.

This has something appealing to the employer, who can admittedly ditch you after this period. However, it does get your foot in the door, and provides the opportunity to show how good you are.

In the event that they do not keep you on, at least you can truthfully say that you have experience in the country. It may also lead to contacts or other opportunities that might not be obvious to you at first. So you haven't really lost out, and you weren't earning anyway.

You never know, the golf course conversation might be "..I have great difficulty finding a good guy". "Well I have someone with me who is great, but won't be able to keep him on after 2 weeks. Do you want to meet him" etc.

This does assume that you can afford to work for nothing for the period.

To those who say that this smacks of desperation, well it does show initiative and illustrates that you are prepared to put some trust in a prospective employee (even if you aren't really!). It also makes you STAND OUT from all the other applicants.

Best of luck

TD
Hello Toe Dipper!
I think it can be a good idea for people at the early stage of settlement.
Yes, I'm exactly looking for it in the next 2-3 weeks after arriving on 7th June in Melbourne and I'll be happy to offer my project management experience for nothing specially to get "Australian Experience" BECAUSE I SERIOUSLY NEED OZ EXP. In addition it can give me an opportunity to prove my skills...

Good luck to all unemployed people!

Regards!!

Safaet
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

What sort of PM?

TD
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Emiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of lightEmiric is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Paul & June
I took the gamble and came over to find a job, and I did, a good one. I was on cloud nine. Recession hit and then they let twenty of us go.

I know where your coming from, about trying else where. Others have said the same. I have been a boilermaker too in the past, but again, you are against the other unemployed boilermakers, and this will be like any other job you apply for. You do not realise this until you are out of work yourself. Don't become unemployed, you will find out. Hic

As I have said, things will turn out right for us all.
Im A Boilermaker to and have been struggling to find work.I have gone self-employed and at present contracting for a balustrading company aswel as doing my own stuff here and there.Seems that is where the only boilermaking jobs are at the moment in balustrading and such.Also been here four months and probably worked about seven weeks.
If you wanted to fall back into boilermaking again that is.Maybe its the answer for now.
It is really tough out there but i hope you get sorted soon.All the best.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had some agents and networking acquaintances that have been interested in taking me on board. But when they ask the questions, 'Do you have oil and gas experience', thats when your failed

Work for free is a good idea, but can you show much in that time. There is usually a long training curve in drafting. But I will try this approach when I call back to these companies.
The only problem with the work for free idea is that it is illegal; their is a minimum wage by law in Oz. Any companies caught doing it run the risk of massive fines.

And, it does reek of desperation. The first question a prospective emplyer will ask is "what's the reason he wants to work for free; what's wrong with him?".

Also if you want to continue your career as a mechanical draftsman, I would suggest looking solely for that kind of work. If you take another job outside of that field you will find it much harder getting back into it. Employers don't want to know as you will lack current experience.

Perth is probably not the best place to be for that kind of work. Have you considered moving? Small city, less opportunities.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 3rd 2009 at 12:12 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Safaet will become famous soon enoughSafaet will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Deancm
The only problem with the work for free idea is that it is illegal; their is a minimum wage by law in Oz. Any companies caught doing it run the risk of massive fines.

And, it does reek of desperation. The first question a prospective emplyer will ask is "what's the reason he wants to work for free; what's wrong with him?".
The Reason is:
- I need OZ exp.
- I'm a new immigrant: Need the space to keep my foot
- need an OZ reference
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Safaet
The Reason is:
- I need OZ exp.
So do all the other immigrants

- I'm a new immigrant: Need the space to keep my foot
I have no idea what you mean by that.

- need an OZ reference
When you first arrive you will not have an Oz reference, you cannot get around that. You will have to use previous employers in your home country/character references.

Having an Oz reference is not that important. Having Oz experience is.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

If you want to get a job as a mechanical draftsman this is what you need to do.

1. Compile a list of as many organisations that you can find that employ mechanical drafstmen.

2. Find out who the hiring manager is. Don't deal with HR, everything will just get lost.

3. Construct a good CV tailored to each organisation and write a good covering letter.

4. Email your CV to all of the hiring managers. Don't expect a reply.

5. Wait a couple of days and call all the managers you have emailed. If you don't get any joy the first time, do it again in a week and then again, and again until you get an interview.

Forget all the gimmicky stuff. Your CV will end up in the bin.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

Great advise guys, thanks. Thing is not give up I know. But four months sitting in front of this PC, listening to it humming away, is starting to drive me mad.

I'm up against a lot of drafies and a mean a lot of drafies that have the experience and have been here for years.

There is going to be a pecking order I think. Those ones that have been here for years will get in first cos they have the massive network thing. I might have to wait later on and pick up whats left over.

We have heard it all before, its not just what you know, its who you know in Perth. Perhaps it's like that all over OZ.

I have offered my services at reduce salary or rate but that seems to scare them off or more likely found that perfect guy.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

I have offered my services at reduce salary or rate but that seems to scare them off or more likely found that perfect guy.
Yes, that will tend to scare them off. It comes back to "what's wrong with him if he's prepared to work for less?"

Better to ask for more money.

Have you tried getting some local contacts on LinkedIn?

The smaller to city the more cliquey it becomes. Perth is just not that big a place. You would be better off in Melb.

Last edited by Deancm; Jun 3rd 2009 at 3:13 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about

Er in case you haven't noticed Australia is in a recession whether it is by definition or not. Work is hard to come by for anyone.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

i heard you need an outstanding cover letter for a janitor job in australia.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 10:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Great advise guys, thanks. Thing is not give up I know. But four months sitting in front of this PC, listening to it humming away, is starting to drive me mad.

I'm up against a lot of drafies and a mean a lot of drafies that have the experience and have been here for years.

There is going to be a pecking order I think. Those ones that have been here for years will get in first cos they have the massive network thing. I might have to wait later on and pick up whats left over.

We have heard it all before, its not just what you know, its who you know in Perth. Perhaps it's like that all over OZ.

Sadly in the oil and gas industry worldwide not just in Perth it is all about who you know. Nearly every job my husband has got has been because he has worked with someone before and has been recommended.

Good luck, its a tough market in Perth just now.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

Originally Posted by lastere
i heard you need an outstanding cover letter for a janitor job in australia.

And at least a dozen Diplomas in janitoring.....
Old Jun 4th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Deancm
Yes, that will tend to scare them off. It comes back to "what's wrong with him if he's prepared to work for less?"

Better to ask for more money.

Have you tried getting some local contacts on LinkedIn?

The smaller to city the more cliquey it becomes. Perth is just not that big a place. You would be better off in Melb.

You quite clearly have no idea about engineering in Australia then. Perth is the biggest engineering centre in the country and a global hub due to the mining and oil & gas industry, hence the salaries are much higher here than anywhere else but Darwin and that's due to it's remote location. The money to mining shut off in November and has only just started dripping back in again, hence people like Paul having a tough time. Things are improving and i'm sure Paul will get work in the next couple of months or so but to advise someone to move to a much smaller market is not a good idea.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 1:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
You quite clearly have no idea about engineering in Australia then. Perth is the biggest engineering centre in the country and a global hub due to the mining and oil & gas industry, hence the salaries are much higher here than anywhere else but Darwin and that's due to it's remote location. The money to mining shut off in November and has only just started dripping back in again, hence people like Paul having a tough time. Things are improving and i'm sure Paul will get work in the next couple of months or so but to advise someone to move to a much smaller market is not a good idea.
From Seek job board.

Perth mechanical draftsman: 7 jobs advertised

Melbourne mechanical drafstman: 32 jobs adertised

I get people jobs for a living. I think you have no idea about the job market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.