Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ISP, Contracts, Bigpoo etc etc

ISP, Contracts, Bigpoo etc etc

Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ISP, Contracts, Bigpoo etc etc

Originally Posted by northernbird
am I better sticking to watching it on my pc or will a divx compatible dvd player do the same thing? don't need one of those pvr thingys as we have foxtel iq.
Well - mine's an all-singing all-dancing gizmo - an LG HDD/DVD Recorder RH1777. Way I use it is this - download the TV show or whatever - stick it on a DVD (any DVD too - DVD-R, DVD+R etc plus all the rewritables), bung it in the LG and either transfer it to its internal hard drive or watch it straight off the DVD. It can handle DivX and Xvid equally well. It has various inputs on the back so I run my hi-def Sony set-top box through it too (no satellite or cable here yet). You could, for instance, take the output from your IQ box to the LG, record shows on that and then save 'em out to DVD for further 'ahem' distribution.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Well - mine's an all-singing all-dancing gizmo
slows down when you hit 40 though
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:54 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your online order for an Internode Broadband service.

You have ordered:

Plan Name: HOME-1500-Pro
On line: xxx
Order Ref: xxx

Down to you Hutch if it's no good! ...

Naaah, seems to be no2 in the Whirlpool list of 'who uses what ISP' so that too is good enough for me!

Hope to be over within a week so with my Bigpoo monthly start date only just gone, I for once can now leave my p2p on all the time as i'm NOT gonna hit the limit in a week! ...
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your online order for an Internode Broadband service.

You have ordered:

Plan Name: HOME-1500-Pro
On line: xxx
Order Ref: xxx

Down to you Hutch if it's no good! ...

Naaah, seems to be no2 in the Whirlpool list of 'who uses what ISP' so that too is good enough for me!

Hope to be over within a week so with my Bigpoo monthly start date only just gone, I for once can now leave my p2p on all the time as i'm NOT gonna hit the limit in a week! ...
lol - recommended 'em to my big sister too, who's currently moving over to them. The good thing about the P2P side is that they don't include your upstream, so you can get a healthy quota on UKnova without worrying about its impact on your quota. Oh yea - and download this great little gizmo - it tracks your usage and sticks the amount you've used in your system tray on the taskbar.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 8:15 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

lol - recommended 'em to my big sister too, who's currently moving over to them. The good thing about the P2P side is that they don't include your upstream, so you can get a healthy quota on UKnova without worrying about its impact on your quota. Oh yea - and download this great little gizmo - it tracks your usage and sticks the amount you've used in your system tray on the taskbar.
Yeah I nearly fell off my chair when I realised my upload was also included with bigpoo! used a torrent site overnight and had used 2Gb by the morn, and when I was on a 10Gb plan, well it was rubbish! ...

Cheers for the gizmo ... One thing bigpoo did have was a part of their site you could check your usage on.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 1:53 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Well - mine's an all-singing all-dancing gizmo - an LG HDD/DVD Recorder RH1777. Way I use it is this - download the TV show or whatever - stick it on a DVD (any DVD too - DVD-R, DVD+R etc plus all the rewritables), bung it in the LG and either transfer it to its internal hard drive or watch it straight off the DVD. It can handle DivX and Xvid equally well. It has various inputs on the back so I run my hi-def Sony set-top box through it too (no satellite or cable here yet). You could, for instance, take the output from your IQ box to the LG, record shows on that and then save 'em out to DVD for further 'ahem' distribution.
I have an LG HDD/DVD machine too, not sure of the model though. I do the same as you. The only problem with avi files on DVD is that you cannot rewind/fast forward the programme. Not the biggest problem but can be annoying at times.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 2:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I have iinet ADSL2+ 24Mb connection with a 40Gb limit then shaped, for $79/month. It's fast, I get an effective 19Mb connection. I download a 30 mnute programme off UKNova in under 15 minutes, an hour programme in under 25 minutes. I'm very happy with it.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 5:41 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I have iinet ADSL2+ 24Mb connection with a 40Gb limit then shaped, for $79/month. It's fast, I get an effective 19Mb connection. I download a 30 mnute programme off UKNova in under 15 minutes, an hour programme in under 25 minutes. I'm very happy with it.
P2P is dodgy, try newsleecher and a good news server.

Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
ADSL2 isn't aval to me ...
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:04 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG

What did you do?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
What did you do?
I wonder! ...
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
What did you do?
Nothing
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:09 am
Account Closed

I wonder! ...
Did you see ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.