Wikiposts

Isolated Perth?

Old May 19th 2005, 10:46 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isolated Perth?

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
Hope somebody can resolve a little dispute I am having with my wife:

She wants to go to Brisbane but I want to go to Perth

She says "Perth's too remote and isolated from everywhere else"

I say "If we lived in Melbourne and wanted to go to any city in Oz we'd have to fly. The same would apply if we lived in Perth. So what's the difference?" I also reckon that Perth is closer to home and Europe than anywhere else in Oz so I really can't see what the issue is

Ironically, we're known as 'Icks from the Sticks' due to the fact that the village we live in is something like the land that time forgot!!! Word has it that the gas board are coming round next week to install street lighting!!

Seriously though, for people who live in Perth or have lived in Perth and moved on, is the remoteness of the City a problem in day-to-day life? Is being 'isolated' a *real* problem that has to be overcome, or or is it just one of these phrases that gets banded about like "the humidity in Brisbane will kill you", "rainy Manchester", "dirty London" etc etc

Thanks

BD
it's the most remote metropolis in the world.

Fact (and that's why I love it )
Old May 19th 2005, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice

Originally Posted by cranni
Perth is the most beautiful city,technicolor and clean. You have so manysuburbs around Perth, south west is beautiful, 2-3 hours south you will find other cities and towns orchards vine yards, dolphins not far away,we love it here in south west and dont feel at all isolated, we have been here 6 months from UK ,we are nearer to Hong kong, Singapore etc yhan we are to the rest of oz, and we are only 17 hours away from home. Good luck with your great adventure.
Well we were thinking of W.A but now maybe think one of the bigger city's maybe better,for my husband's job prospects...and with children, we want them to have good job prospects too!!!
Old May 19th 2005, 11:55 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackie/steve
Well we were thinking of W.A but now maybe think one of the bigger city's maybe better,for my husband's job prospects...and with children, we want them to have good job prospects too!!!
jobs? there's shit loads of them in Perth.
Old May 19th 2005, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

jackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nicejackie/steve is just really nice

Originally Posted by walla1
jobs? there's shit loads of them in Perth.
teaching job's??
Old May 20th 2005, 12:04 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

teaching job's??
Loads of all types of jobs

http://www.thewest.com.au/

Look at the employment sections of saturday's West Australian

Good Luck

Paul J
Old May 20th 2005, 12:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

For engineering jobs, it's the best place in Australia.
Old May 21st 2005, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
And it is near(ish) to Margaret River

SS
Sounds good

Is she the local pin-up???
Old May 24th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Oh yes.

SS
Old May 24th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think the answer to your question is what type of people are you. Before you actually settle, why not get a round trip to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane and see which really grabs your attention and you feel it could be home to you. Isolation is often in the mind, as long as you can fly out to anywhere you are really not that isolated, unless you don't of course have the money to do so. Then you probably would feel isolated. By the way I think flight hours to the Eastern Capitals are about 5 hours, 2 days non stop by bus/train to Adelaide 4 days Darwin (driving 12 hours) and a further 10-12 hours drive from Adelaide to Melbourne.

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
Hope somebody can resolve a little dispute I am having with my wife:

She wants to go to Brisbane but I want to go to Perth

She says "Perth's too remote and isolated from everywhere else"

I say "If we lived in Melbourne and wanted to go to any city in Oz we'd have to fly. The same would apply if we lived in Perth. So what's the difference?" I also reckon that Perth is closer to home and Europe than anywhere else in Oz so I really can't see what the issue is

Ironically, we're known as 'Icks from the Sticks' due to the fact that the village we live in is something like the land that time forgot!!! Word has it that the gas board are coming round next week to install street lighting!!

Seriously though, for people who live in Perth or have lived in Perth and moved on, is the remoteness of the City a problem in day-to-day life? Is being 'isolated' a *real* problem that has to be overcome, or or is it just one of these phrases that gets banded about like "the humidity in Brisbane will kill you", "rainy Manchester", "dirty London" etc etc

Thanks

BD
Old May 24th 2005, 12:28 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
(driving 12 hours) and a further 10-12 hours drive from Adelaide to Melbourne.
7 to 9 Adelaide Melbourne, 10 to 12 Melbourne to Sydney
Old May 24th 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
7 to 9 Adelaide Melbourne, 10 to 12 Melbourne to Sydney
You must have been speeding I went by truck the first time (as I was hitchhiking) and a coach the second and they averaged about 10-12 hours, and with moi driving, I've done Melbourne to Sydney in 9 hours, and also Sydney to Brisbane in 12. Night time driving was better as the cops were in bed. I used to have licences from 3 different states, and used to juggle them to see which I had the most points on to which I showed to the police if they pulled me over if in doubt the Brit licence came out again, But that was before they were making it state wide...... Always got me that you could be in the middle of no where, no cars on the road but PC plodd with his speed gun......

Talking of using my Brit licence, they sent me a ticket to the UK and my Father opened it, sent a cheque back (bless him) and they returned it....probably because it was in sterling on a uk bank, lol...

Last edited by Mercedes; May 24th 2005 at 10:50 pm.