Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Isn't England a joy

Wikiposts

Isn't England a joy

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviosuly I'm a little jet lagged today and therefore relishing a bit of senseless banter.

1. Please explain how you quantify that Australia is new or old. Is it in terms of how long English people ahve lived there?

2. Only a total maniac would think that being 35km from France is any sort of advantage

3. I bow to your 'Chairman Mao school of fashion' approach, but hey it was an observation. Again I express no opinion on the content or quality, you just assume it.

4. Given your previous point about the sheer expanse of the country and also the 'thou shalt say not a word against the hallowed land on this web site' approach, surely we can have gaudy shops AND creeks and parks.

5. I bow to your point in respect of the media, particularly radio and written. Yes I have an opinion and yes it is that the quality of the 5 BBC radio stations and the array of quality daily written media available in the UK is probably as good as any country in the world can output.

6. Not entirely sure where my reflections on a simple holiday have led you to compose a rant describing the collapse of the civilised world. I think you inhabit a very strange land indeed. Andiiiii land, population 1, somewhere in Melbourne.

you have a nice day there now and keep drinking the water.

Haha, you missed the point of my post.

But I'm happy to explain...

My post wasn't a tirade, or intended to offend you. The tone was never aggressive, as yours is to me. My post was merely "Yes, England might be like this... but Australia is like this." And because Australia is this way, does not mean England is any worse, or greater than Australia. I was turning the tables, and turning what you thought were Australia's disadvantages into advantages. Not to insist my ethnocentric views upon you, no, but for a different reason.

Mine was a deflection of all of the "you hate Australia, so go back to your own country" posts. Arrogantly, I thought if people saw what I wrote and said everything they wanted to say, perhaps you wouldn't receive such a backlash, as I knew you would.

The truth is... patriotic Australians do nothing for Australia and they scare me.

Would you rather someone tell you go to back to your own country again, or a semi-intellectual attempt at highlighting each country's differences, in the feeble hope of deflecting criticism?

Now, calm down.

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Isn't England a joy

Originally posted by RichS
Just back from a month long trip to England to tour the rellys. Haven't been back for a few years and noticed the following:

1. Isn't there much more choice in the suprmarkets
2. Aren't there a lot more shops for clothes and things
3. Isn't autumn spectacular
4. spent a lot of time in the car listening to the radio. Between Radio 1,2 3,4,5 there's everything you could want.
5. telly - again a lot more choice when compared
6. Pubs - aaaaahhh pubs, and all with aussie bar staff built in.
7. I wasn't racially abused for being English in a whole month!

Of course on holiday you don't get the joys of commuting and day to day existence, but I thought I'd highlight things I used to take for granted when living over there that now are more noticable.
Aaahh..comments to warm the cockles....good on ya Rich. I can't wait to get back anyway and these little reminders simply reinforce that yearning. Boy do I miss Terry Wogan.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be confused but was the original post not just an observation of what RichS enjoyed on his trip to UK. I cant see anywhere it says the UK was better or that it compares anything to Australia. So why has it turned into such a post.?

Also Nicky s you always jump on a post to defend Australia which I dont have a problem with. What I want to know is, as the great defender, why do you never answer posts when people ask about living in Sydney or ask where the best areas are. Have you nothing positive to say about the great place you live.?

Last edited by karawara88; Nov 2nd 2003 at 4:07 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:22 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by karawara88
I may be confused but was the original post not just an observation of what RichS enjoyed on his trip to UK. I cant see anywhere it says the UK was better or that it compares anything to Australia. So why has it turned into such a post.?

Also Nicky s you always jump on a post to defend Australia which I dont have a problem with. What I want to know is, as the great defender, why do you never answer posts when people ask about living in Sydney or ask where the best areas are. Have you nothing positive to say about the great place you live.?
It was just someones post (Rich) of his hoilday.. some people can not accept a "happy" post.

funny really. It's sad really why we all can't just accept other peoples view.

Cheers

P<S most people here are "nice" in my opinion it is just a few apples.. and sometimes words taken out of all .proportions by a few insecure
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't agree more with these observations
Especially the shopping !!! Alas.

~Sean

Just back from a month long trip to England to tour the rellys. Haven't been back for a few years and noticed the following:

1. Isn't there much more choice in the suprmarkets
2. Aren't there a lot more shops for clothes and things
3. Isn't autumn spectacular
4. spent a lot of time in the car listening to the radio. Between Radio 1,2 3,4,5 there's everything you could want.
5. telly - again a lot more choice when compared
6. Pubs - aaaaahhh pubs, and all with aussie bar staff built in.

Of course on holiday you don't get the joys of commuting and day to day existence, but I thought I'd highlight things I used to take for granted when living over there that now are more noticable.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 5:29 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by nicky s
Why the hell are you here then? Why don`t you just go back to the U.K if it`s so much better there and oh so hard here!?
I`m so sick of reading negative views about Australia on this forum. For those that continue to live here and post negative crap constantly, why bother to stay? For those that aren`t here yet but are thinking of coming here...don`t be put off, this country has alot to offer and many people who make the move (including myself) don`t have any regrets and are very happy here..no wonder they call us wingeing pomms!
I think that you go through stages when you emigrate to Australia. Mine are as below:

Years General Feeling

1-5 Loved it. Didn't miss England at all, did not go there.
5-7 Went back to Eng. on holiday, glad to get back to Oz
7-10 Went to Eng. on holiday not as pleased to return 2 Oz
10-13 Had second thoughts - maybe return to England.

So really people go through stages.

There are many contributory factors such as if you have kids, if you come originally from a dump in Britain, what job you do etc.

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 6:37 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Stages

Agree about the stages. Mine was the same as yours - exaactly but in months!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 6:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going up to London today to do the shopping. The bugger is the leaves are on the lines slowing the trains.

Nicky S what the **** are you on about. Rich S was not having a whinge but listing what is good for expats on Holiday back in their homeland. Argue the points as you are not the moderator.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bondipom
I am going up to London today to do the shopping. The bugger is the leaves are on the lines slowing the trains.

Is that wise? I heard a gang of grannies are wandering round M&S handbag bashing Ozzie tourists. Take some Capsicum spray that should keep em off ya. They'd rip the bonds T-shirt right off yer back over there. Dangerous place that London
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:08 pm
Badge

Bloody hell each to his own, eh.

I can't stand shops, radio, TV. We've had a great autumn. Best in living history. It's actually because there is a drought on!

Clearly too many people move out to Australia and NZ when they will regret it. Oh well we can't all enjoy it. Good luck to everyone.

When, and why were you racially abused. I never got it once in a year. Apart from my best mate trying to stir once every few months. Must be because I was liked and was popular (joke).

Badge

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 8:13 pm
WBB

obviously did not visit wales then

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default Isn't England a joy

Originally posted by nicky s
Why the hell are you here then? Why don`t you just go back to the U.K if it`s so much better there and oh so hard here!?
I`m so sick of reading negative views about Australia on this forum. For those that continue to live here and post negative crap constantly, why bother to stay? For those that aren`t here yet but are thinking of coming here...don`t be put off, this country has alot to offer and many people who make the move (including myself) don`t have any regrets and are very happy here..no wonder they call us wingeing pomms!

Oh here we go again, yes let's be honest, England has
better pubs
better clothes [ not all made in bloody China ]
better T.V. programs
better drivers
better shops[ that's why the American's go there to shop ]
and as for saying that Rich was wingeing lighten up,don't be so touchy.You where most likely, one of those wingeing POMS, when you where in the u.k. wingeing about wanting to get to OZ
so you love OZ good for you, perhaps you lived in a s!!t part of England.have a guinness and lighten up.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 9:28 pm
Badge

Originally posted by karawara88
I may be confused but was the original post not just an observation of what RichS enjoyed on his trip to UK. I cant see anywhere it says the UK was better or that it compares anything to Australia.
well observed! I can well imagine quite likely wanting to get a few clothes from Oxford Street the one day I go there. But I will be glad to return to Australia. It starts for me hearing the Aussie accents of the QANTAS staff- tells me I'm almost 'home'.

Badge

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Actually I am awaiting a PR application over here.

I really like living here. However what the visit home did for me was give me the sense that, hey if they knock me back over here I still have 2 years on my current visa so I can have a realy good time, and when that times up the UK isn't such a bad place to be after all.

We were actually laughing when I made the post about how many responses we would get from the "hallowed soil" brigade. Actually I've been quite heartened by the number of more objective responses I've seen to the post. It would appear that after all I am allowed a little leeway in my thinking.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 10:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Rich, after a day and a half in Oz, I've read your comments and screamed with laughter, as they have just taken me back to the UK! Sooooo true! Especially -
================
2. Completely mad relatives who insist on a street by street description of the route by which you arrived at their front door, and then discuss at length the merits of the A41 or whatever as you lapse into a coma. (I'm sure most people wouldn't miss this but it became a sort of standing joke with the wife some years back)
3. The unswerving commitment to poor customer service
================

After the abysmal service at Heathrow contrasted with the smiling Customs staff in Oz, number 3 rang very true, and the street-by-street thing....argh!!! I rang my mum to say I'd got here OK, and she said "Oh thats nice dear, and I had a man to look at my house today, he came from Radstock, but had to go the long way round because of the roadworks on the A Wotsit and the diversion on the B thingybob....." and so it went on for THIRTY FIVE MINUTES!!!! Then I said "its very nice here actually mum", and she said "Theres another man coming tomorrow......." At that point I put the phone down the back of the sofa and thanked god that I don't have a return ticket!